• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRosertrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #10: Bureaucracy

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Luhr28 - 02 September 2021 11:24 AM

(the other cartridge just boots up another instance of the game within the game)

Not quite. It’s a different game:

BBE ADVENTURES PRESENT "DORK I"

West of House
You are standing in an open field
west of a white house
with a
boarded front door
There is a mailbox here.
INTERNAL ERROR 69105..... 

This is, of course, the first room in Zork I. Internal error 69105… some sort of internal joke, probably. The number occurs in several other Infocom games. One theory I’ve heard is that it’s an interesting “random” number because “69 is equal to octal 105, and hexadecimal 69 is equal to decimal 105”.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I see… we’re not supposed to go “off-topic”. Right. I’m so sorry I mentioned my old Atari. I clearly deserved to be ignored. From now on I’ll be as on-topic as I possibly can. No jokes, no comments.

>x cart
>put cart in computer

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Vegetable Party - 03 September 2021 11:15 AM

thanks both:) Is everyone alright with walking around some more? Even if we need to restart at some point, it might help to get a sense of the place.

I’m saving regularly, so don’t worry about wasting time. I could also do a map if needed.

>s
14 Utopia Avenue

>s
15 Utopia Avenue

There’s a mailbox here.

>x cart
This cart doesn’t look at all like the authorised Boysenberry carts you’ve bought before. Its plastic case is poorly molded, and lacks the familiar logo of a partially digested purple berry.

From the single word printed on the cheap white label, you deduce that this is a recipe program. That is because the word on the label is “RECIPE”.
>put cart in computer
The recipe cartridge slips into your Boysenberry computer with a thrilling little click…

BCDOS 1.0
All diagnostics completed
Press any key to boot…

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

eriktorbjorn - 03 September 2021 11:18 AM
Luhr28 - 02 September 2021 11:24 AM

(the other cartridge just boots up another instance of the game within the game)

Not quite. It’s a different game:

BBE ADVENTURES PRESENT "DORK I"

West of House
You are standing in an open field
west of a white house
with a
boarded front door
There is a mailbox here.
INTERNAL ERROR 69105..... 

This is, of course, the first room in Zork I. Internal error 69105… some sort of internal joke, probably. The number occurs in several other Infocom games. One theory I’ve heard is that it’s an interesting “random” number because “69 is equal to octal 105, and hexadecimal 69 is equal to decimal 105”.

Thanks for that, the z-machine version I’m using is rather buggy. So far it’s mostly been a few scrambled words but I’m hoping nothing it won’t be anything major.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>s
>verbose

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>s
16 Utopia Avenue

You’re standing west of a mansion; its rather ornate door is closed. The road continues north and south.

You can hear something by Andrew Lloyd Webber that’s a bit like something else you can’t remember playing in the mansion.

>verbose
[Maximum verbosity.]

16 Utopia Avenue

You’re standing west of a mansion; its rather ornate door is closed. The road continues north and south.

A recording of something by Andrew Lloyd Webber that’s a bit like something else you can’t remember is playing in the mansion.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Karlok - 03 September 2021 11:20 AM

I see… we’re not supposed to go “off-topic”. Right. I’m so sorry I mentioned my old Atari. I clearly deserved to be ignored. From now on I’ll be as on-topic as I possibly can. No jokes, no comments.

Please do go off-topic, talk about stuff you like and make jokes and comments.
I mean it! Or don’t, if you don’t want to, but I hope you will.

>S

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Yes, please do go off-topic!

>s
17 Utopia Avenue

A modest, ochre-and-aubergine striped llama-farm farmhouse stands to the west, its front door closed. The street continues north and south.

A llama is watching you from a pen at the side of the road. A mailbox is attached to the front of the pen.

There’s a notice here.

A nerdy-looking young man you’ve never seen before stumbles into view. “Are you Douglas Adams, of 15 Utopia Avenue, Verweggistan, formerly of 5 Hippo Vista, Rhinoceros, New Jersey?” he asks in an obnoxiously whiny voice. “I have something I know you’ll want. It’s a Boysenberry XiGT6HP Special! Only 76 bucks!”

>

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

That sounds like Apple, alright.

>open mailbox

Are we going to feed the llama? Or is that an “eating the pie” situation that will come back and bite us in the collective behind?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

A llama! I knew it. I hope it’s not the spitting kind. Thanks for the convenient treats, game.

>x llama
>x notice
>x mailbox
>x man
>x farmhouse
>show treats to llama

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

If the nerd hasn’t left yet…

>examine xigt6hp

If he has left… well, he’ll probably be back.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>open mailbox
You open the mailbox.

>look inside mailbox
Peering inside, you notice that the back of the mailbox opens directly into the llama’s trough. Strangely enough, this doesn’t strike you as remotely peculiar.

The llama   zzz.

>

eriktorbjorn - Any ideas what could be causing the above problem? It mostly comes after examining or describing an object.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

This llama is ahead of its time.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>examine xigt6hp
The product of years of research by tiny dedicated craftsmen in expensive West Coast chambray workshirts, the XiGT6HP Special offers full digital pay-as-you-load “top-end” hyphenation combined with a unique beat-as-you-sweep action for perfectly browned vegetables and reliable color-fast, full-nine-pound boil-wash ‘n’ rinse cycles with “No-Urk” data security.

The nerd waves the Boysenberry XiGT6HP Special impatiently. “C’mon, buddy. 76 bucks! A bargain!”

>x llama
You see nothing unusual about the llama. Except, of course, that it’s there. That is slightly unusual, admittedly. But apart from the fact that it’s there, you see nothing unusual about it. Nothing at all. It’s just a llama.

“No money, no Boysenberry XiGT6HP Special,” whines the nerd.

You are feeling very hungry.

>x notice
The notice says,

“Dear Newspaper Boy,

Please do not leave any papers for the next three weeks. I am away on vacation and do not want papers piling up on my doorstep where thieves can see them.

Have a nice day!”

A tangerine Cougar has just driven past. It was full of burglars, laughing and taking notes.

The nerd stumbles out of sight with the Boysenberry XiGT6HP Special. “I’ll be back,” he threatens.

>x mailbox
The closed mailbox is attached to the front of the pen.

The llamaind. It says “I can read your mind, buster. Put that food down or else.”.

>x man
You can’t see any man here.

>x farmhouse
It’s just a normal, puce ‘n’ tangerine striped suburban llama-farmer’s house. Its front door is closed.

>show treats to llama
You’d have to take the Llamex(R) brand High-Fibre Llama Treats out of the bag of llama treats first.

>take treats out of bag
Llama treats fall between your fingers. Hah! That fixed your hash, didn’t it?

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Sounds like Karlok isn’t the only psychic in this thread!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top