• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Something is wrong

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

There’s nothing the admins can do. Only Ivo can fix these things, and he’s got limited time to resolve problems he’s having trouble pinning down. Urgent or not, there’s nothing the rest of us can do.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Advie - 20 October 2021 12:28 PM

It seems like Admins gonna ignore this report until it is backed by two or three more, just like last time.
come on, it’s no fun to have to log each time you want to make sure you have read all recent posts. this is urgent, really.

uploading pictures

here is a demonstration for issue

So you keep being logged out is what you’re saying, correct? I myself have had significant improvements since I made changes, but from your comments I’m getting that it’s not improving.

I understand these things can be frustrating, it’s the same for me as I keep trying to debug and resolve issue I don’t myself encounter. Any further information you have really helps me, but please realise that they are hard to solve.

I am not choosing to not solve them to annoy you Advie, I am having issues finding what is causing it.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ve gone over all caching and related settings, from our hosting provider as well as the local site again and made further tweaks and changes. Please let me know if this improves things in any way.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its not to annoy, for sure, but just give us some feedback (so we know someone else aware of the issue) as it has always been normal, why change now.

but no, the issue, is the content of the threads (the recent posts), which may be as much as 11, a whole page not showing unless i am logged in, and then i can see ‘different’ content (the whole posts/page appears) .

i only log in to post/write, but I check the site from time to time to read-only.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Jabod - 11 September 2021 05:25 AM

Just for info I’m still getting logged out every day or two (happened this morning) but it’s not something I’m particularly bothered about. It’s possible that DuckDuckGo (the browser I use) could be the culprit but that’s a guess on my part.
What’s also been noticeable the last few weeks is that the asterisk against my name in the “currently online” list has vanished. I’ve always logged in without my name showing but I’m wondering if that’s no longer working.

What I’ve found so far, is that currently selecting the option to show you’re online or not isn’t triggering at all. If you have it properly set it remembers it, but if you once login marking that it’s fine to show yourself in the online list, somehow you cannot switch back to hiding your online status.

Why this is happening is still a riddle that I’m trying to unravel.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ve figured out why it’s not working for everyone, it has to do with a specific cookie being set that remembers if the currently logged in user should be marked as anonymous.

Honestly, that the system works like that makes no sense to me whatsoever, so I’m investigating how to fix this.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

CaliMonk - 20 October 2021 04:17 PM

I’ve figured out why it’s not working for everyone, it has to do with a specific cookie being set that remembers if the currently logged in.

that is true, thanks ‘boss’, i just take the site appearance and mechanics a bit serious than just an active member, and also with pride.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

So, I believe I’ve figured this out.

We use a system to manage cookie consent, this is an important element and obviously mandatory for GDPR reasons. The software this site was built in (to be clear, not by me, I just need to work with it) uses cookies for quite a few preferences, some of which are unclear to me why you’d do it like that, but it does.

Some of the cookies involved with concepts like which posts you’ve read, as well as if you’re logged in anonymously, were marked as ‘preference’ cookies. Which is obviously true, however, if you’ve selected to only allow ‘necessary’ cookies, those cookies were excluded.

I’ve gone through the different cookies used by the site and ensured that the cookies that are important to how it works, are marked as necessary. Any site specific cookie that holds more PI information, would be marked as preference/statistics, so those would still be excluded.

This explain why for some users this is behaving differently. I’m unsure how long it takes for the system I’m using to properly process these changes, but at least I now know how to debug some of this. I’ll keep digging here.

Total Posts: 1789

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

CaliMonk - 20 October 2021 04:17 PM

I’ve figured out why it’s not working for everyone, it has to do with a specific cookie being set that remembers if the currently logged in user should be marked as anonymous.

Honestly, that the system works like that makes no sense to me whatsoever, so I’m investigating how to fix this.

This should cheer you up then CaliMonk. Whatever you’ve done has fixed my “Currently Online” anonymous problems as, having read the above, I’ve logged out and logged back in and, hey-presto, all is as was before Thumbs Up

Cheers.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Baby steps, but glad to hear there’s progress!

For context, for me it’s like excavation most of time. I know how to program, but need to work with a (very old!) CMS system, diving into the depths of how it functions and why it functions the way it does before I can fix things. It’s an interesting puzzle at times :-)

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Anyone been having any new issues or continued issues? How have the login related points been?

Total Posts: 1789

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

CaliMonk - 23 October 2021 03:18 AM

Anyone been having any new issues or continued issues? How have the login related points been?

I’ve been kept logged in for days now CaliMonk so that’s gone away, for me at least (not that I was particularly bothered - just a very mild irritation).

Here’s an odd one though that’s been happening for ages. It’s absolutely not a problem, worry, of any concern whatsoever, is totally trivial and doesn’t need any effort expounded to fix it but I thought I’d pass it on.
In the list of “Currently Online” users I frequently find myself at the end of the list instead of in alphabetical order. A quick refresh of the page and back into alphabetical order I go. It’s odd but totally inconsequential (unless it hides a more serious underlying problem of course but I absolutely doubt that Laughing )

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 23 October 2021 03:18 AM

I haven’t been logged in much, but it’s definitely better. When I’m not logged in I can see the more recent posts. The site still doesn’t recognize me though.

I noticed my name (currently online) now has an asterisk attached to it, although I haven’t changed anything in my settings or preferences. I take it that means my name is invisible to others.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4272

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 23 October 2021 09:43 AM

I noticed my name (currently online) now has an asterisk attached to it…I take it that means my name is invisible to others.

That’s right, but please keep being logged in. I like to come to this place and see a familiar name. Smile

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@Zobraks: Your wish is my command, but unfortunately the asterisk is always there now, checking/unchecking the relevant box makes no difference.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top