• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witness (open-world island inspired by Myst)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finally!! 26th January release date

Game is still gorgeous

(Lol, this thread is old…)

Edit:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/09/17/the-witness-release-date-confirmed-for-26-january-2016/

Expect to play it for 80-100h for 100%?!?! Surelly that is exaggeration… Maybe

Edit2: Its PS4 and PC, btw

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Whew, finally. I’ve been watching the development blog since 2011, when the release date was “sometime in 2012”.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Man its ambitious as hell if he is pulling 80hrs without boring players.
I guess those maze puzzles will take hrs.

Glad release in view now.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Steam game page is up, seems like it’s really releasing next week

http://store.steampowered.com/app/210970/

39.99$ / 36.99€ / 29.99£

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

On the blog update yesterday he said they’re “weeks” from the release date. The 26th is next week.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

nomadsoul - 17 September 2015 04:03 PM

Man its ambitious as hell if he is pulling 80hrs without boring players.
I guess those maze puzzles will take hrs.

Glad release in view now.

I wouldn’t assume the 80 hour figure is without boring players - that’s for the obsessive 100%ers who don’t mind hours of boredom if there’s a trophy at the end, rather than us normal (ha) folks who just want to solve the game and maybe play a few bonus puzzles if they’re on offer.

Which is probably just as well, given how long it’d take me to scratch together 80 hours of playing time. Still looking forward to the game a lot!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hmmm i thought 20 to 30, well i hope 40 is worth it.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

This probably will be amazing, but the price is a little high since people will perceive it as an indie game (even though it might have enough hours to warrant such a price), and indie game prices don’t go higher than 30 usually. I am doubtful it will have strong sales at such a high price point. Same thing happened with King’s Quest and from what I heard, the sales for that where pretty weak.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Phlebas - 20 January 2016 04:14 AM

[I wouldn’t assume the 80 hour figure is without boring players - that’s for the obsessive 100%ers who don’t mind hours of boredom if there’s a trophy at the end

That would’ve been true had it not been designed by Jonathan Blow. The only time he allows himself to bore players is when there’s a thematic reason for it. I’m fairly certain The Witness will not have any padding of any kind.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

A blog post went up discussing the price of the game: http://the-witness.net/news/2016/01/price-and-pre-orders/

(TLDR: $40, no pre-order bonus, will be available on PSN, Steam and Humble)

I was half-expecting him to say there won’t be any discounts or bundles soon - one of his indie friends did just that, said the price will only go up later.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Antrax - 21 January 2016 12:23 AM

That would’ve been true had it not been designed by Jonathan Blow. The only time he allows himself to bore players is when there’s a thematic reason for it. I’m fairly certain The Witness will not have any padding of any kind.

Braid bored me.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Then it did so despite neither repeating puzzles nor making them sparse. That’s the most you can expect of a puzzle game.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Reviews are in, glowing as expected. Read just some bits to avoid apoilers, seems it’s very hard.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

An “exploration puzzle game” set on an uninhabited island, designed by the creator of Braid.

I think maybe the best myst incarnation.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 25 January 2016 10:34 AM

Reviews are in, glowing as expected. Read just some bits to avoid apoilers, seems it’s very hard.

Well thats a lot of praises, i guess Jblow understands gaming completely.
1st Goty, not just for AG i reckon.

The Witness has a power and pull that carried me throughout the more than 40 hours it took to complete it for the first time, and that, even now, beckons me back to confront the mysteries I left unsolved. Its graceful combination of tangible goals, obscurity, and freedom creates ample opportunity for small victories and grand revelations alike. For the most part, its themes weave themselves beautifully throughout the gorgeous world and wide variety of puzzles, but even when it breaks subtlety in favor of a more heavy-handed approach to exposition, it never detracts from the truly fulfilling moments The Witness offers in terms of solving its physical puzzles and unlocking its deepest mysteries.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top