• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

favourite adventure game songs/soundtracks

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I was playing “TEX MURPHY,  UNDER A Killing Moon” and one of the things I liked from the get-go was the soundtrack. It’s a seedy “crime jazz” that fits the hard-boiled/noir-ish style of the game.

(I’m saving the tangent about jazz + noir confusion, you’re welcome)

Then I got inside a building that switched up the style. Though it’s not my favourite section of the game, I was hooked on the music. I just wandered around, listening to the song. It’s still jazzy, maybe kinda proggy, with its syncopation, odd chord patterns and the way the “instruments” accent and seem to correspond to each other.

So here’s a new thread. This whole story is redundant, because the title says it all. No need to give this kind of explanation for your pick, this just me being VP. It’s welcome if you’re into that stuff, though.

Tex Murphy - Under a Killing Moon. Great soundtrack. Standout song:  Hotel Love Suite

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This one always puts a smile on my face.  It’s from Space Quest 4.
Oops!  That link doesn’t work.  Let me try something else.
https://spacequest.net/sq4/soundtrack/
Choose #28, Keronian Bar.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 136

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

Gray matter, and especially Sam’s theme which is also the menu theme.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Lady_Kestrel: that works. Very nice! Smile

@eddyc: I almost forgot about this.. perfectly fits the mood of the game.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Vegetable Party - 30 June 2021 08:07 AM

@Lady_Kestrel: that works. Very nice! Smile

It sounds like something Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem would play.  Grin

I still haven’t played Under a Killing Moon, but I like the smoothness of the track you chose.

Eddyc,
I like the singer’s voice, but I need to listen to it again to catch all the lyrics.

Another favorite of mine is the main theme from Myst IV: Revelation.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 June 2021 02:35 PM

It sounds like something Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem would play.  Grin

Yes! I used to wear an Animal shirt to concerts, but my better half removed it from my wardrobe (I bargained to keep a couple of even weirder stylistic choices, it was a necessary sacrifice).

Another favorite of mine is the main theme from Myst IV: Revelation.

Wow that’s really cool. I’m thinking of giving the entire series a try. I enjoyed “Riven” a lot. Good atmospheric music there as well.

Total Posts: 136

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 June 2021 02:35 PM

Eddyc,
I like the singer’s voice, but I need to listen to it again to catch all the lyrics.

the title is: never going back by the scarlet furies with raleigh holmes as lead singer

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Thirding the opening theme of Gray Matter! (“Never Going Back”)

Others:

* Hiveswap, Act 1 (Official Bandcamp here: https://homestuck.bandcamp.com/album/hiveswap-act-1-ost-with-the-grubbles)

* The Neverhood (Official Bandcamp here: https://danielamosboots.bandcamp.com/album/neverhood-songs-deluxe)

* The Last Express

* Beyond Good and Evil (more of an action-adventure, with focus on action, but too good not to list.)

* Sam and Max Hit the Road

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Very cool and diverse list! “The Last Express” in its entirety is amazing to me.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I always liked the soundtrack to Conquests of the Longbow. I thought every tune fit the scene perfectly and was authentically evocative of the time and place they were describing. The ambient sounds walking around the forest did a great job to augment the atmosphere of the graphics as well, helping immerse you in the scene, because deep in a forest there should not be music, just birds chirping and critters crittering.

My favorite part of the soundtrack, though, is the way the minstrel’s song in the introduction and ending are perfectly syllabilically synchronized with the music. That was not only very enjoyable, but also incredibly impressive.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That is impressive, BB.  I found I could even sing along with it.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 29 June 2021 10:15 AM

seedy “crime jazz”

This is the kind of music I mostly listened to via adventure game soundtracks, back in high school (don’t really remember listening to adventure soundtracks since). Primarily the Grim Fandango soundtrack, which also contains other music genres:

I keep this song from Discworld Noir in fond memory. I couldn’t find the full soundtrack back in the day, otherwise, I’m sure I’d have listened to it a lot:

I also listened to the groovy sounds of The Curse of Monkey Island:

As a bonus, since it’s not from an adventure game but it is a LucasArts classic from the 90s, I give you the great western Outlaws soundtrack:

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

WitchofDoubt,
I have the 2 CD Imaginarium album, which has the many funny songs from The Neverhood and 2 other games, Skullmonkeys and Boombots, all by Terry Scott Taylor.  The album insert comments say it all:  “Note to the Listener:  Should you choose to sing along to any of the following songs, we wish you luck.  You’re gonna need it.”  And this:  “Continue singing with various grunts, groans, and assorted nonsense.”  It’s great fun.

Bon,
The Ankh Bar piece is so wonderfully smooth!

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Yup, it’s great. It’s the sound of a man with nothing left to lose, remembering the long-passed days of former glory… Smile

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

How could I forget this? As a kid, I thought it was the coolest song ever. I would go to school and sing it to my friends and hum it all day. I was fairly obsessed with this game altogether. It never crossed my mind how completely ridiculous the story and the song are, and I certainly didn’t think twice about an old man turning into a desiccated skeleton before his head transforms into a green river raft and flies off his shoulders into outer space. Seeing is believing. Enjoy.

(Since this game came out in 1992 and I came out in early 1987, I’m guessing I was 7 when I played it. That about lines up with the time my family got a CD Rom drive…and we definitely didn’t pay full price for the game. I distinctly remember this coming off the jewel-case packaged $10 games rack at Staples.)

Anyone else play Inca back in the day? I wonder if it’s on GOG…I’d replay it in a heartbeat.

Update: Hmmm…maybe it’s not so much a raft as a pan flute? Or a combination of both, why not?

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Awesome jams.

“INCA” is the weirdest re-imagining of colonialism. I really like how the lyrics are a basic introduction to its weird premise, like a Saturday morning cartoon getting first time viewers up to speed an long time viewers in the zone.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top