• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Three songs, in the moment

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jabod - 17 June 2022 09:40 AM
Charophycean - 17 June 2022 09:12 AM

Wow. Jackie Leven eh? Never heard of him before but that’s some gorgeous songwriting there.

For me he’s up there with England’s Richard Thompson, America’s Bob Dylan and Canada’s Leonard Cohen. He’s Scottish, from the Kingdom of Fife as he frequently declared.

Sadly died around 10 years ago but did see him in concert 3 or 4 times and he was really good.

Here’s an odd fact about him.

I think it was when he was fronting his band Doll By Doll that he was nearly murdered by one of the Dalai Llama’s bodyguards!  Gasp This was in Trafalgar Square in London and he came close to being throttled. The sad outcome of that was the upper range of his voice was damaged as was, thankfully to a much lesser extent, his general singing. Nice bloke all round as I managed to have a chat with him on a couple of occasions after gigs.

Yes, I can hear the Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan comparisons. Something heartwrenching in his playing.

I wanted to hear more about the bodyguard incident so I searched for more info, and what came up was that the bodyguard (same one I assume) took his girlfriend as well! Those Buddhists eh?  Pan

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Alright meteor, have to give it to you: you bring the slappers.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I really enjoy this thread & I’ve got to listen to lots of interesting music which I wouldn’t otherwise have ever heard. Thumbs Up

But I’m a little concerned about your use of the word ‘slapper’ Vegetable Party in a couple of your posts .....please can you tell me if there is another more recent meaning of the word ‘slapper’ that I’ve missed? 

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

oh dear! I just learned that’s a vulgar term in the UK - I had no idea.

I think it’s mostly used in hardcore and it means a song does what it’s supposed to, it gets you moving in a certain way. It’s like saying something rocks, or goes hard, swings, is funky, this rips, etc. I think it’s the association with dynamics, impact and motion.

I hadn’t heard of the version you’re probably referring to and I can imagine it raises some concern. I will say this for foul language in the UK: you get weirdly graphic and, let’s say, physical.

Then again, cursing in the Netherlands may involve all sorts of diseases, so no judgement from this side of the pond.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hey, I only asked one question & you haven’t given me an answer & what a weird response.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Regarding the weirdness: I guess I was making a light joke to relieve the tension and it got lost in translation. I only just learned this is a vulgar slang word in the UK. Maybe that’s a lack of common knowledge on my part. I’ve never heard the word used with that particular meaning. If you don’t like it I have no problem not using it: it just means something entirely different to me.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Vegetable Party - 20 June 2022 04:32 PM

oh dear! I just learned that’s a vulgar term in the UK - I had no idea.

Also in the US, Australia & Ireland.

Thanks for enlightening me to your alternative meaning.  Smile

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Thanks for the heads up - not a native speaker, so I pick up the specific use and meaning of these words as I go.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It’s not a term I had heard in that context before.  In hockey, it’s an informal term for a slap shot.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Unfortunately it is regarded as a derogatory term here.
I did come across the informal term used in hockey but obviously not relevant.

I couldn’t find anything at all, I’m sorry to say VP, that matched your description but I did come across this on Quora: “Slapper - a good song or a song which is very soulful. Particularly less aggressive than a banger .The sounds will be more ambient, with deeper bass and drums layered . It really calms the mind and gives you a good feeling.”

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

As a member of the Riff Raff, I accept this salute.

Regarding the term: it’s one of those words that has some branching inheritance of meaning, but considering the derogatory slang interpretation: it’s always good to know this before you publicly embarrass yourself and/or others (twice).

@LK: I was thinking about that connection - could be the inspiration for the word in the hardcore scene. I think it might’ve originated in the Boston HC scene. Hockey was huge in those circles, wearing shirts and even gear on stage. Probably the biggest band in that scene was/is called Slapshot.

Lead singer and founding member, Jack “Choke” Kelly, grew up as a diehard Bruins fan. He watched Bobby Orr as a kid and was as a season ticket-holder at the old Boston Garden. He played hockey right up until his freshman year of college and was a defenceman with the now-defunct Provincetown High School hockey team in his hometown of Provincetown, Mass., on the northern tip of Cape Cod.

Just some highly speculative etymology on a wednesday evening.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top