• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Just quickly browsing through the thread, because I intend to start playing the first part of the series next month.

Thanks for the well-placed the spoiler tags, though it’ll probably be a another year before I actually get to this game.

This became kind of an unofficial community playthrough and that just makes me smile. I think stuff like this is what makes a forum work.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It seems obvious that S4 isn’t going to win the CPT vote.

I’m still not done. And don’t know how far I am from being done. My last save has Dana arranging military options on a map.

Will have to wait for the final vote count tomorrow, but, as of the last vote count, the only person participating on this thread, while also voting for both this and another game on the CPT thread is crissie. STOP! Don’t think what you think I am thinking! crissie is a multi-tasker extraordinaire. If anyone could do two games at the same time, it would be her.

If anyone is interested, I propose a Flash CPT of S4. Wherever you are, we would start from day one.

If not, I will continue my posts with comments by others. I am very OK with that.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

So I am back playing the game. I’m playing as Kate, back in the cemetery. So I am ahead of solving the various puzzles at the Foreign Ministry.

Just got a phone call that needs some attention. Will finish this message later.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

rtrooney - 01 May 2022 08:59 PM

So I am back playing the game. I’m playing as Kate, back in the cemetery.

Definitely my least favorite part of the game. Somehow it reminded me of Alone In The Dark or one of those other 90s horror games, running around a cemetery and getting completely lost due to bad camera angles, nondescript scenery and an absence of landmarks to help guide you. The signs weren’t at all helpful.

AKA Charo

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Charophycean - 01 May 2022 10:07 PM

Definitely my least favorite part of the game. Somehow it reminded me of Alone In The Dark or one of those other 90s horror games, running around a cemetery and getting completely lost due to bad camera angles, nondescript scenery and an absence of landmarks to help guide you. The signs weren’t at all helpful.

I’m not enjoying this particular puzzle sequence either. For a number of reasons. First, in order to solve the sequence you need to re-acquire Oscar. And when you do that, you no longer have access to the map. Which was still helpful in a useless sort of way. Second, “a rose by any other name…” Whatever the developers want to call it, it’s a maze, and it performs the same function. I.e. extending gameplay without contributing much of anything.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Yeah, that was one of the worse parts of the game.

Gameplay-wise there’s nothing to it; just some tedium. But narratively I also felt it was kinda contrived and didn’t really do much that needed that location.

The only good thing about it was the tram drive there, that was a real beauty and I sorta wish there were one like it somewhere Wink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Pyoro-2 - 02 May 2022 03:10 PM

Gameplay-wise there’s nothing to it; just some tedium. But narratively I also felt it was kinda contrived and didn’t really do much that needed that location.

The only good thing about it was the tram drive there, that was a real beauty and I sorta wish there were one like it somewhere Wink

Absolutely! The only things we learned were that both Leni and the Zimmers were donors, and that Dana’s baby died in childbirth. I guess I will find out later why Leni was a donor, (and where she got the money to donate anything.) We know why the Zimmers were donors. And while it added some drama, finding out about Anna was something that could easily have been discussed at the hotel. Why Kate needed to “See this for herself” made no sense to me.

And, yes, the tram ride was great. The effects of the water splashing on the paddle wheel were impressive.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to give the cemetery puzzle another try tomorrow. It’s been five days since I was left alone at the grave. I really don’t remember what happened after that other than I wandered around a bit.

So, first objective is to find out where I am. Second objective is to get to Oscar and the map. Third objective is to find the gate, which is easy since it’s three moves to the right of the map. Fourth objective is to find my way back to the pick axe. Which I think can be found by heading two moves left, and then head north. Should find the pick axe somewhere. Then I need to head West as far as I can go and then South until I find the hut. Once I have what I need, I need to retrace my steps back to the mechanism next to the gate, use what I found in the hut and do/go whatever/wherever the game takes me.

Yes, I did look at a walkthrough. Several in fact. But none of them told me what I needed to know. I think my solution will work. Like I said I will try it out tomorrow. Once I find out where I am, I don’t think it will take more than 15-20 minutes to escape this hell hole. I will report back.

Wish me luck.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Houston, I have a problem!

I have Oscar in inventory I know where the tool is that I need to open the shed. But when I get to the tool nothing happens. There is only one explanation:

When I stayed behind at the grave, I got lost or misdirected. And I never actually made it to the gate. How could I forget making it to the gate? Beats me! But that is the only explanation I can think of. So now I need to get to the gate in order to get this episode moving in the right direction.

Only problem is I don’t remember how. I thought the gate was right next to the mechanism I will need to use a device on in order to open the gate to open the gate. But that is not correct.

Can anyone help me with directions to the gate? My starting point can be any one of three places. The gate opening device. The tool location next to the stairway. Or the shed I need to open. The latter is where I’m standing right now.

TIA. This is embarassing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

From what I remember (which isn’t much) the gate was somewhere off to the left, and the mechanism was somewhere south of it.

Sorry, I know that’s not much help. My best advice is just to wander, which is what I did.

AKA Charo

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Mechanism is definitely next to the gate. But next “path” over, so you gotta go from the gate into the graveyard, and then the next path down to the right.

A convenient map:
https://static1.thegamerimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/stwb-cemetery-map-correct-labels.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&dpr=1.5

Actually looking at that I don’t think I found the Overlook (presumably some optional interaction spot).

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks for the info. Will tackle it again tonight

I think the Overlook is in Section P. While standing at the edge of a balcony, you can see the marker for Section O. Prompts a response from Kate something like “Oh, the grave must be over there.” You don’t need to see the marker to find the grave, however.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was embarrassed before, but now even more so.

I thought all this time that the gate was by the mechanism, when, in fact, it was directly behind the map stand. And by behind, I mean behind me as I am looking at the map.

Once the gates closed it took me only about eight minutes to escape back to the tram. Eight minutes when I’ve been wandering this plot of land for over two hours! Insane!

I’m now back at the refuge. The lodge appears to be unoccupied, but we know that Leni lives there, and that her condition prevents her from travelling far. So we shall see what happens next.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

rtrooney - 05 May 2022 04:50 PM

I was embarrassed before, but now even more so.

I think we all were.

The commentary in my mind went something like “come on, the developers have put very little effort into this area so they obviously expect players to breeze through it in 5 minutes, so why are you taking over half an hour to complete it!! You suck!!!”

Laughing

AKA Charo

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

No adventure game playthrough is completely without a “can’t see the forest for all the trees” moment Wink In fact mine came where you are right now, if I recall correctly ...

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top