• News
  • Reviews
  • Games Database
  • Game Discovery
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Game of Thrones

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Just interested - is there anyone reading that would like to throw away seasons 1 - 7 to never watch again, as I would, on account of the boring, extremely unimaginative & very disappointing Season 8?  Thumbs Up  Naughty

Total Posts: 7572

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Since I have still to watch the entire series, you can donate seasons 1-7 to me. Grin

Season 8 can’t possibly be worse than the 8th and final season of Dexter. Tongue

Now playing: Blade Runner (CPT) | The Witcher: Enhance Edition (on hold) | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (on hold) | Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
Recently finished: Whispers of a Machine (CPT) - 4/5 | Beneath a Steel Sky (CPT) - 3/5 | 3 in Three - 3.5/5 | Puzzle Gallery: At the Carnival - 2.5/5 | The Fool’s Errand (replay) - 3.5/5 | The Dig (replay) - 4.5/5 | Return of the Obra Dinn (CPT) - 4/5 | Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity - 3.5/5 | League of Light: The Game (CCPT) - 3/5 | realMyst: Masterpiece Edition - 2.5/5 | Contradiction - 3/5 | Tex Murphy: Mean Streets - 2/5 | The Last Express - 3.5/5 | South Park: The Fractured But Whole - 4/5 | Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (replay, CPT) - 5/5

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 13 August 2019 03:08 PM

Since I have still to watch the entire series, you can donate seasons 1-7 to me. Grin

Season 8 can’t possibly be worse than the 8th and final season of Dexter. Tongue

I’m still reeling back but not sure I can part with GoT just yet!

I’ve watched a lot of series so how have I missed Dexter but I have - does the final season make all of the seasons before a waste of time?

Another series I thought that blew it at the last minute was Lost.  Cry

Total Posts: 7572

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 13 August 2019 03:45 PM

I’ve watched a lot of series so how have I missed Dexter but I have - does the final season make all of the seasons before a waste of time?

Dexter is 4 seasons of brilliance, a slightly lesser (but still great) 5th season, a great first half of a 6th season with a weak second half, a part-great part-bad 7th season, and one clusterfuck of an awful 8th season that has pretty much the worst final episode of any series I’ve seen. The last 15 minutes nearly manage to destroy everything that came before.

Which is ironic, since Michael C. Hall’s series before Dexter, Six Feet Under, may have the BEST ending to any series ever…

Now playing: Blade Runner (CPT) | The Witcher: Enhance Edition (on hold) | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (on hold) | Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
Recently finished: Whispers of a Machine (CPT) - 4/5 | Beneath a Steel Sky (CPT) - 3/5 | 3 in Three - 3.5/5 | Puzzle Gallery: At the Carnival - 2.5/5 | The Fool’s Errand (replay) - 3.5/5 | The Dig (replay) - 4.5/5 | Return of the Obra Dinn (CPT) - 4/5 | Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity - 3.5/5 | League of Light: The Game (CCPT) - 3/5 | realMyst: Masterpiece Edition - 2.5/5 | Contradiction - 3/5 | Tex Murphy: Mean Streets - 2/5 | The Last Express - 3.5/5 | South Park: The Fractured But Whole - 4/5 | Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (replay, CPT) - 5/5

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

Sorry for all the spoiler tags, but I discuss specific plot points and don’t want anyone wandering into something they don’t want to know about. Wink

To your question, chrissie: no, I enjoyed the show immensely, and plan to watch it again in a few years, just as I do with LOST.

Having come late to the GoT party, watching it through over the summer, I think I am fine with how it ended because I wasn’t invested in it for years, and hadn’t built up much, if any, expectation. In fact, I was actually pleased with the finale when I first watched it, simply because it was as happy an ending as one could be expected to see in GoT, and my main theory going into the final season was that the “game” of thrones would simply continue on, with some combination of the Starks, Lannisters, and Targaryens becoming new rival factions.

In short, an ending that isn’t much of an ending, IMO. That would have disappointed me in ways that I don’t like, and can’t wave away as I tend to be able to do with plot holes.

I wouldn’t have particularly minded a dark ending for GoT, in which Daenerys becomes a Westerosi version of Emperor Palpatine or Darth Vader, as that would have set up for a possible sequel and been more in the spirit of the earlier seasons. However, it became clear that season 8 was all about fanservice and wish fulfillment, and given that, I think what I got out of it was fine. More and more issues don’t set well with me as I think about them, but on the whole I don’t mind season 8, because the seasons prior to it were such a triumph of good television.

I also find it satisfying that Daenerys was able to do what she set out to do, which was to 1) break the wheel that had ground across Westeros for generations and 2) finally end the “game” of thrones. In fact, she was central to bringing about a new vision for Westeros, as without the horror of her descent into tyranny and the final destruction of the Iron Throne, the other lords wouldn’t have been willing to come together and find a better way forward.

So, yes, I have problems with season 8—and GoT in general, especially what I consider to be rather lackluster battles, all things considered. Though HBO’s budget for the show was huge, the limitations of even an inflated cash outlay were quite clear there, IMO—but it doesn’t make me want to chuck the previous seasons out the window. Warts and all, I loved Game of Thrones. Money Mouth

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer
Webmaster: www.GalvanicSpiral.com and www.WriteFullCircle.com

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!