• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Subtitle Blade Runner by Westwood Studios

Total Posts: 1656

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

stroggoff - 26 January 2019 12:06 PM
Jdawg445 - 25 January 2019 04:04 PM

thats awesome, I never knew about those, I always figured there wasnt much cut content, just content that didnt run right together bc of the random nature of the game. I would have loved to see runciter’s test, I never thought he was a rep though based on how he treated lucy, just a scum bag that also sold fake animals.  I thought having rachel once in the game was a cool cameo. to be honest the only thing that bothered me about the game is after clovis broke in and almost killed tyrell, tyrell should have been better prepared for roy batty’s attack in the original movie.Since the movie and game run at the same time about

There’s a few bits that I can understand why they were cut (mostly because some of those make it seem like the game makes assumptions about the player’s allegiances, some introduce small conflicts with the movie—and in a few occasions because some are part of mechanics that seem to have been dropped). But then again the game does offer a “designer’s cut” option that barely has any impact on anything (it seems like they intended to use it for something, but gave up really early on and it only affects one or two dialogues in the entire game). So all this removed / dropped stuff could be part of that—as in activated with that option switch.

Because there’s also content that is missing (from dialogues or scenes) that is either due to some bug or maybe they thought that the dialogue would go on for too long or that it would hurt the pacing of the gameplay (?). I can’t be sure.

The good news is that the transcript is also done for all this content, and that all the official localizations for the game seem to have localized this cut content too, even though it never plays in-game. Maybe there was an intention to release some patch that would unlock / or fix this content at a later time?

Anyway, I’m not really sure as of yet as to how would be the most appropriate way to go about it, and it’s hardly a priority right now, but I know I’d like to see this content become available somehow to people that would play the game through ScummVM.

im watching your playthrough and what great fun it is. I enjoy your written thoughts a lot. I am at the part where you find the moonbus photo after clovis kidnaps you, I always forget about that photo, I do think the devs missed an opportunity there. What I mean is if you are playing it more like a blade runner up to that pt, I think you should not show up in the photo, but if you are showing sympathy you should be shown in the photo, I feel like this is the devs pushing you in the direction of being a rep even if you are not playing as one. Just bc ridley scott never made up his mind if deckard was a rep or not doesnt mean the game should follow suit. Even the dialogue of them calling you brother and stuff is odd. Although maybe McCoy is the first rep detective long before K of blade runner 2049. Its obvious tyrell had his hands in everything

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 27 January 2019 07:09 PM

im watching your playthrough and what great fun it is. I enjoy your written thoughts a lot. I am at the part where you find the moonbus photo after clovis kidnaps you, I always forget about that photo, I do think the devs missed an opportunity there. What I mean is if you are playing it more like a blade runner up to that pt, I think you should not show up in the photo, but if you are showing sympathy you should be shown in the photo, I feel like this is the devs pushing you in the direction of being a rep even if you are not playing as one. Just bc ridley scott never made up his mind if deckard was a rep or not doesnt mean the game should follow suit. Even the dialogue of them calling you brother and stuff is odd. Although maybe McCoy is the first rep detective long before K of blade runner 2049. Its obvious tyrell had his hands in everything

I’m happy that you’re enjoying the playthrough. I want to get back to it soon, and there’s at least one outtakes video that I’d like to do before resuming with the main story.

About your thoughts on the moonbus photo. I think the devs did intend to let the player decide if they’re a human blade runner, or (become) a Rep sympathizer or even a Replicant—although, in my view, this last case is actually contradicting some of the stuff that is revealed later on (even as soon as you examine the photo in the KIA). But, yes, I believe the plan was to have the player (and McCoy) at least for a while be confused about and question their identity. And again, most if not all of the additional info you get later on in the game are kind of open to the player’s interpretation, enough so that you can choose your own “truth” about McCoy and not have the game’s plot outright go against that.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

stroggoff - 28 January 2019 04:55 AM
Jdawg445 - 27 January 2019 07:09 PM

I’m happy that you’re enjoying the playthrough. I want to get back to it soon, and there’s at least one outtakes video that I’d like to do before resuming with the main story.

About your thoughts on the moonbus photo. I think the devs did intend to let the player decide if they’re a human blade runner, or (become) a Rep sympathizer or even a Replicant—although, in my view, this last case is actually contradicting some of the stuff that is revealed later on (even as soon as you examine the photo in the KIA). But, yes, I believe the plan was to have the player (and McCoy) at least for a while be confused about and question their identity. And again, most if not all of the additional info you get later on in the game are kind of open to the player’s interpretation, enough so that you can choose your own “truth” about McCoy and not have the game’s plot outright go against that.

true but to me the only thing that makes sense from a story pt is that McCoy is actually a replicant that got his mind wiped after the moonbus accident by tyrell and than inserted into the blade runner unit, to prove to the mayor that the reps could be trusted to work on earth. Nobody really knows ray; he has a dog but no mention of a gf or family, even in the beginning of the game its like McCoy wakes up in his spinner out of a stupor. Clovis calls him brother, all the way to the end. if you play as a blade runner, sadik says you have been brainwashed and he said maggie the dog was actually a robot. sadik never changes his tune. If ray is really a human blade runner than why does clovis go out of his way to save ray from sadik on the roof, clovis wants him alive even after he killed zuben, while sadik acts like ray is too far gone. Im just saying the main two bad guys never break character in that they believe you are a rep. Than of course there is the photo, why would ray be there in the photo but not have any memory of it, unless his memory was wiped. Clovis and company have no problem killing humans, they kill runciter’s animals, two devs for nexxus 6, early q, and the mayor without blinking.So i have no doubt they would have wiped out ray without hesitation if not for some other reason. Plus when ray has the meting with guzza near the end, clovis and sadik could have taken out both ray and guzza instantly but clovis hesitated until the last second,as it comes to McCoy.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 January 2019 12:58 PM

true but to me the only thing that makes sense from a story pt is that McCoy is actually a replicant that got his mind wiped after the moonbus accident by tyrell and than inserted into the blade runner unit, to prove to the mayor that the reps could be trusted to work on earth. Nobody really knows ray; he has a dog but no mention of a gf or family, even in the beginning of the game its like McCoy wakes up in his spinner out of a stupor. Clovis calls him brother, all the way to the end. if you play as a blade runner, sadik says you have been brainwashed and he said maggie the dog was actually a robot. sadik never changes his tune. If ray is really a human blade runner than why does clovis go out of his way to save ray from sadik on the roof, clovis wants him alive even after he killed zuben, while sadik acts like ray is too far gone. Im just saying the main two bad guys never break character in that they believe you are a rep. Than of course there is the photo, why would ray be there in the photo but not have any memory of it, unless his memory was wiped. Clovis and company have no problem killing humans, they kill runciter’s animals, two devs for nexxus 6, early q, and the mayor without blinking.So i have no doubt they would have wiped out ray without hesitation if not for some other reason. Plus when ray has the meting with guzza near the end, clovis and sadik could have taken out both ray and guzza instantly but clovis hesitated until the last second,as it comes to McCoy.

These are valid points. As I said, the developers give you enough stuff to interpret them as you want / as you think they might connect but never a definitive answer. Like for example, the moonbus photo has the “reflection” as a point of interest and even though it’s not quite clear why McCoy says “that’s damn strange” about it, it’s possible that it’s because he can’t actually see his reflection in that part (but the fire barrel next to him is definitely reflected), which would mean that the photo was doctored by someone. And then, there’s Clovis’ whole plan with blackmailing / working with dirty cop Guzza and confusing McCoy (initially) and then taking him out of the hunt and turning him into a fugitive (making him desperate / further question his identity / or eliminating). There’s also the point that while Sadik and Clovis who are working closely together, use “brother” and “family” with McCoy, the rest of the moonbus Replicants don’t really acknowledge McCoy as familiar to them. In addition, keep in mind, that McCoy (potentially) has been going around collecting the DNA partial info which is the Replicants’ last chance to extend their life span, and having him believe he is a Replicant / having him by their side is a good plan to motivate another “player” to collect every bit of that DNA and deliver it to Clovis (or the twins (...)). And with regard to a possible Tyrell plan to put a Replicant in the police force (the Blade Runner force even) that’s a pretty risky plan, not to mention a highly illegal thing to do behind the Mayor’s back. He’s having a hard time convincing the Mayor to use Replicants to clear out the Kipple—putting a Replicant in the Police Force, even as an experiment, would be something that the Mayor would not agree in advance, I don’t think. None of the rest of the Blade Runners (say Steele) would agree to something like that either, and if it happened without their knowledge, it would have the risk that they would find out and retire McCoy—Steele suspects nothing and even trusts McCoy, until (and if) McCoy outright does a very Replicant aligned thing. Steele also knows of McCoy before he gets promoted as a Blade Runner (as suggested by their dialogue in the Police HQ roof in the prologue)

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

stroggoff - 29 January 2019 04:40 AM
Jdawg445 - 28 January 2019 12:58 PM

These are valid points. As I said, the developers give you enough stuff to interpret them as you want / as you think they might connect but never a definitive answer. Like for example, the moonbus photo has the “reflection” as a point of interest and even though it’s not quite clear why McCoy says “that’s damn strange” about it, it’s possible that it’s because he can’t actually see his reflection in that part (but the fire barrel next to him is definitely reflected), which would mean that the photo was doctored by someone. And then, there’s Clovis’ whole plan with blackmailing / working with dirty cop Guzza and confusing McCoy (initially) and then taking him out of the hunt and turning him into a fugitive (making him desperate / further question his identity / or eliminating). There’s also the point that while Sadik and Clovis who are working closely together, use “brother” and “family” with McCoy, the rest of the moonbus Replicants don’t really acknowledge McCoy as familiar to them. In addition, keep in mind, that McCoy (potentially) has been going around collecting the DNA partial info which is the Replicants’ last chance to extend their life span, and having him believe he is a Replicant / having him by their side is a good plan to motivate another “player” to collect every bit of that DNA and deliver it to Clovis (or the twins (...)). And with regard to a possible Tyrell plan to put a Replicant in the police force (the Blade Runner force even) that’s a pretty risky plan, not to mention a highly illegal thing to do behind the Mayor’s back. He’s having a hard time convincing the Mayor to use Replicants to clear out the Kipple—putting a Replicant in the Police Force, even as an experiment, would be something that the Mayor would not agree in advance, I don’t think. None of the rest of the Blade Runners (say Steele) would agree to something like that either, and if it happened without their knowledge, it would have the risk that they would find out and retire McCoy—Steele suspects nothing and even trusts McCoy, until (and if) McCoy outright does a very Replicant aligned thing. Steele also knows of McCoy before he gets promoted as a Blade Runner (as suggested by their dialogue in the Police HQ roof in the prologue)

true it is all speculation but some more clues are [spoiler]Ray has the dream of being offworld with lucy and he is in the same suit as zuben. as far as tyrell, there is no doubt in my mind that he would try to put a rep in the blade runner unit, he already has reps working for him on earth (which is highly illegal)  such as the twins, and rachel. after clovis shoots the mayor in the head (awesome scene by the way) tyrell does not act one bit worried that one of his reps murdered a city official. he was more worried about keeping clovis alive. And as far as clovis pulling an elaborate charade to fool MCcoy anything is possible but than why does sadik never give up the false pretense. even at the end at the moonbus he is still calling you a rep, and pts out that your dog is a fake. As far as dektora and lucy not recognizing ray, I see your pt but I point to a gamepaly mechanic to explain away that, if they are reps and came on moonbus yes they should know ray, but if they are human and from earth they would not know ray, and since the game is randomized they didnt let lucy or dektora offer any clues about ray. That is further proved with dektora, if she is rep they steal the ground car, if she is human than she buys it from crazy legs. Finally the steele and ray relationship, it does seems she knows him a little, but she is also hyper aggressive, so knowing him could only be by a week or two aka long enough to hay tyrell get him in. Guzza even says he doesnt know ray all that well, and has seen his inception date. The blade runner unit seems pretty thin as is bc holden is out of action, and they have two different rouge nexxus 6 groups on the loose aka roy battys group and clovis group. the unit had to bring back deckard on a contract and promote ray, it would be a perfect time for tyrell to try and slip ray into the unit.
(PS it seems clovis and roy would know about each other and maybe even collaborated, they all went to earth at the same time with the same mission, its highly unlikely that there was not at least some coordination of their efforts.) [/spoiler

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

I think we may be going offtopic with this, so I’ll only say that at least to me playing McCoy as human Blade Runner or human Rep sympathizer is sufficiently backed by the game, so that the player won’t feel cheated in the end (that McCoy chooses to believe a lie or that he is ignorant of his own true nature or something).

Arguably, it could have been done better, but considering all the randomization and the rest of the game CYOA mechanics, I’m quite happy with the implementation we got.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I love the game I just enjoy discussing the story of it

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 January 2019 05:39 PM

I do too Smile But perhaps it’d be annoying for other people to scroll through all these blocks of spoilers, if they haven’t played the game Grin

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

stroggoff - 30 January 2019 07:16 AM
Jdawg445 - 29 January 2019 05:39 PM

I do too Smile But perhaps it’d be annoying for other people to scroll through all these blocks of spoilers, if they haven’t played the game Grin

I did something I have never done in blade runner before I killed gordo the comedian, I never was able to before but after about 3 reloads I did it (he was a replicant in this play through), I wasnt entirely sure it was possible. so in this game, I retired in order zuben, gordo (I love rays dialogue about how he feels bad about killing him, I dont he is an a hole), lucy(I feel bad when she is a rep), sadik, and then clovis bcI too hate poetry. Also this time I went and got a drink for the homeless guy and he said he has seen me with the reps before, so another clue that ray is a rep, plus the meeting with rachel, she says that tyrell is busy and doesnt want to meet with another blade runner and the lpd should better coordinate, yet he shows up and it feels like he is testing ray to make sure his new memories and programming are sticking. that is the last I will say about it lol, also turned myself into the cops this time and got a bit of different dialogue.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 31 January 2019 12:49 AM

Also this time I went and got a drink for the homeless guy and he said he has seen me with the reps before, so another clue that ray is a rep

About this one as far as I can recall, the homeless guy recognizes McCoy as the “kid” (which is what Guzza is calling him) and he even says that he’s seen McCoy with Guzza a few weeks ago (which as McCoy recalls was when they worked security detail for Gov. Kolvig’s speech). The homeless guy can also talk about how he could tell the Replicants because of something strange about their eyes—he makes no such comment or remark about McCoy though.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Great job stroggoff many thanks,do you prefer any graphics override and know if designer cut option removes or alters dialogues or monologue?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Gabe - 01 February 2019 05:40 AM

Great job stroggoff many thanks,do you prefer any graphics override and know if designer cut option removes or alters dialogues or monologue?

Thank you, Gabe.

I don’t have a graphics override preference; I think that they won’t work for Blade Runner or I didn’t notice any significant difference when I tried some (that must have been months ago).

The designers cut option does remove a few quotes from the game. It’s mostly affecting dialogues in Act 1 but there are a few instances where it will cut small dialogue from other Acts, too. The cut stuff are usually parts of McCoy’s thoughts eg. about sushi, Maggie, Zuben (his photo and his retirement), the phone call he gets at the end of the Act.. On one occasion it’s smalltalk with Steele about the customers at Early Q’s. And on another it’s Lucy saying “I love you so much, Ray!”.

It’s about 1 to 4 lines of dialogue in each case and personally I don’t think that it speeds anything up if you skip them by enabling the Designers Cut option.

Looking at the code, there seems to be a single case where this option actually enables a short quote from McCoy (which is also re-used elsewhere) but I’m not sure that scene is ever triggered in-game (the other scene where this quote is used certainly cannot be triggered).

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Today Ars Technica posted a short video and article in their “War Stories” series about the technology and design of Blade Runner. The title is maybe a bit dramatic; “How Blade Runner Reinvented Adventure Games”

Louis Castle talks for about ten minutes about the engine they had to built, and some basic ideas about the game’s world. Warning, there are spoilers in the video.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/video-to-make-1997s-blade-runner-westwood-first-had-to-create-the-universe/

It’s cool though that the game keeps being brought up as of late. Smile

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

stroggoff - 12 February 2019 05:11 PM

The title is maybe a bit dramatic; “How Blade Runner Reinvented Adventure Games”

Revolutionized would’ve been a better descriptor. The randomizing puzzle mechanic was indeed groundbreaking, unfortunately the whole gaming landscape is increasingly distancing itself from that sort of deal – the Elders Scrolls franchise immediately comes to mind. Great find, by the way.

And what you’re doing here is not only a great thing for non-native speakers but also for folks with hearing impairments. Do keep up the good work and I promise I’ll put in a good word with the Chief Judge regarding that promotion you wanted.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Judge Dredd - 13 February 2019 10:49 AM

And what you’re doing here is not only a great thing for non-native speakers but also for folks with hearing impairments.

And old-fashioned people like me who like to read/write articles about adventure games. With on-screen subtitles it is possible to convey what’s happening in a screenshot, but without them, it’s sometimes impossible to know the exact context of that.

Fan patches that add the subtitles where they belong, like was done with Gabriel Knight 2 subtitle patch, are a great thing indeed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top