• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Mike the Winozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

It’s time to talk about Guybrush Threepwood Syndrome. 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

IT wasnt for Disney nor Guybrush or anything but these times only one thing mattered, there was a code of pushing the par of computing-gaming-tech to sell the tech 1st, then the games. adventurers just tend to forget.

Total Posts: 2075

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Henke - 15 November 2018 12:26 PM

I’ve heard this before. Can’t help but wonder if you have even played the first Monkey Island. It’s full of stuff like a guy in a troll costume, a vending machine, neon signs, a staple remover, printed t-shirts, etc.

First Monkey Island games have a good deal of their own small anachronisms, they are comedy games after all. Those didn’t influence the general perception of the world/settings. Curse and especially Escape turned this comic universe inspired by a theme park into a theme park itself where everything is meant to serve as a bait for potential customers. Characters use modern sales terminology, there are all sort of corresponding professions (life insurance and merchandise salesmen, talent managers, cabana boys, etc.), every landmark is now seen from the perspective of tourist attraction and so on. At least for me this kind of approach is more destructive than the Monkey Island 2 ending (as people claimed, I take the whole sequence for “some horrible spell” as Elaine placed it).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It is indeed true, that Larry from the first game wasn’t a balding, pudgy midget, nor in the second or third. In those games, he was at least average in height but he turned to look more like his box cover images with the 5th game when Sierra went to VGA.

Despite he was shown as cartoonish in the boxes and the manuals, his in-game character was, at least in Larry 2 and 3 was more realistic looking, at least in comparison to how he looked in Larry 1 in his only close-up. And while there aren’t any face close-ups of Larry from Larry 3, his body shape as seen in the intro seems quite normal, as does the small part of the bottom of his face that can be briefly seen in the plaque near the binoculars.

This can be mostly chalked on, that none of the first 3 games has any genuine art direction going on in them. It only came from the VGA remake and Larry 5, when the series went to more cartoonish appearance altogether. Before that, the games were dotted with realistic looking people, but with the VGA palette and new engine, everyone started to go a bit more cartoony, including the women.

Image Attachments

larry.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Donuts McGee - 15 November 2018 04:58 AM

Larry Ahern didn’t want to have any of it. His mantra on the backgrounds was “If people look at it and say it looks like a Disney film, we have failed.”

It’s strange that that was their intention.  By those standards I’d say they absolutely failed, because it looks 100x more Disney like than the previous games.

But for the time the graphics were very impressive, so clearly they failed by no means.  It was a video game that actually resembled a real animated film, which was really unheard of back then.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Detective Mosely - 15 November 2018 09:21 PM
Donuts McGee - 15 November 2018 04:58 AM

Larry Ahern didn’t want to have any of it. His mantra on the backgrounds was “If people look at it and say it looks like a Disney film, we have failed.”

It’s strange that that was their intention.  By those standards I’d say they absolutely failed, because it looks 100x more Disney like than the previous games.

Do you think so? I don’t remember any Disney movie that looked like this

The characters might be Disney. But not the backgrounds.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Heh, Curse gets labeled all over the place, from Disney to Saturday morning cartoons. It does look a bit Disney-ish, but in my opinion it does enough of its own thing as not be called out as a rip-off.

Indeed, I take the Disney comparison in the sense that the quality of the art (and animation, sort of, though that suffered more from the limitations of the time) is on par with Disney stuff, not that it actually looks Disney. Especially when it comes to background art - you will rarely see angles and proportions so skewed and exaggerated in classic Disney flicks.

I will concede that Guybrush’s head looks Disney-ish. I think it’s the fact that his nose is very Alladin-y. However, there’s an almost saccharine quality to most Disney characters that you will not find in the more bold and sometimes grotesque design of CoMI’s population.

Total Posts: 2075

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Donuts McGee - 15 November 2018 09:41 PM

I don’t remember any LucasArts game that looked like this either Smile Looks like some concept art that didn’t make into the game.

Now here’s the Neverland from Peter Pan:

And here’s Plunder Island from COMI:

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

It depends on the screenshot.  Looking in google images, I’d say most of the brighter ones give me a Disney feel while the darker ones don’t.

These totally do though:

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Doom - 16 November 2018 09:27 AM

I don’t remember any LucasArts game that looked like this either Smile Looks like some concept art that didn’t make into the game.

Now here’s the Neverland from Peter Pan:

And here’s Plunder Island from COMI:

Putting aside the similarity of the islands’ shapes and geometric features, I would say the Peter Pan image is closer to what we see in MI2:

So I would have to agree that MI1 and 2 backgrounds were closer to Disney than Curse.

Disney movies did not tend to have the exaggerated and heavily warped landscapes of Curse, they were still stylized but still rooted in more or less natural geometries much like MI1 and 2.

EFMI took this trend even further towards a representational/symbolic level

It’s a pity that Tales of Monkey Island chickened out and bucked the trend; it would have been interesting to see what they came up with next had it continued.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top