• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckySefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

By far the greatest chance for this genre was brought up with The Walking Dead

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

It could be promoted that for every single tv series out there, there could be a good cinematic game experience.

It doesn’t even have to stay on tv, it could be also for movies or other media.

For the record, I don’t find the Walking Deads the best games ever, I could at most say they deserve an 8/10 (still good) but it’s mostly the concept I like.

The exceptional and original thing about the Walking Deads is that they were given their own series, their own characters and their own unique stories.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’ve seen this image do the rounds in other gaming websites - it’s reductive mockery but it brings up questions about the Walking Dead’s success:

I don’t consider Walking Dead all that innovative when comes to adventure games - it’s technologically unimpressive, it apes David Cage’s design and it’s not even the first Telltale game to go this more casualised route.

It is however pretty unprecedented when it comes to zombie games. Zombies have been done to death in video games with Resident Evil 4 being almost eight years old and no one has really done anything interesting with them mechanically.

Along comes The Walking Dead and it seems like a breathe of fresh air for the zombie genre providing the kind of mood and feelings those gamers have wanted ever since they were left unsatisfied by Dead Island following its emotional trailer:

It will be interesting to see what Telltale does with Fables - but I doubt they’ll ever see a repeat of what happened with The Walking Dead. These sort of things happen when all the elements line up just right with gamers and developers alike.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

LOL I’ve never seen that before.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

lol, me neither. It made me giggle SmileEspecially the people’s reactions part Grin

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The best part was ‘100% Linear & Scripted’ and ‘yours choices barely matter at all’. Silly idiots. haha

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

OK OK, I admit it was easier than I would like. It was my main pet peeve actually but I didn’t critique it as a game of difficulty only but also as an experience. As an entertainment in general it was good.

Also, it has the potential to become difficult. e.g. it had some glimpses of complex puzzles when they had to go around their vehicles in the 1st or 2nd episode in the abandoned gas station. Another show could take that and make it more complex.

And at the end of the day I enjoyed it.  And I enjoyed it much better than mediocre hard adventure games that are only hard with zero atmosphere.

And I never liked the dead environment of Myst-like adventures (probably irrelevant, but heh.).

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

In other news Telltale announced today the the Walking Dead has sold over 8.5 million episodes.

Yes, that is 8.5 MILLION episodes.

Earning Telltale a nice little $40 million.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I really wish they would stop with that extremely disingenuous way of presenting the numbers and just say that they sold 1.7 million copies of the season.

(Which is a pretty good number for an adventure game. Good for them.)

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Lucien21 do you know how much development and marketing costs?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It would certainly average out to 1.7 m, but that assumes that everyone who bought one episode, went on to buy all the episodes.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Gabe - 07 January 2013 04:44 PM

Lucien21 do you know how much development and marketing costs?

Nope not a clue.

The only thing they said was that the game was 40% more expensive than their previous titles, but that it wasn’t a huge budget.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Lucien21 - 07 January 2013 04:29 PM

Earning Telltale a nice little $40 million.

They said it would be $40 million without discounts, but a large part of the sales were through the Steam sale at $12.50 for the whole season. I’d imagine they made about $25 million on it.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Siddhi - 07 January 2013 09:34 PM

They said it would be $40 million without discounts, but a large part of the sales were through the Steam sale at $12.50 for the whole season. I’d imagine they made about $25 million on it.

No need to guess. If the folks at the WSJ had bothered reading their own interview before guesstimating the $40 million figure, they’d have noticed that Dan Connors mentioned that they made $16 per user on average. So if we count approximately 1.7 million users, that’s $27 million in revenue on TWD. Which is still a nice number, and much deserved.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top