• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

To The Moon

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Having just played this truly lovely game I was surprised to see that there’s no thread on here about it, especially seeing as it got 4 out of 5 stars:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/17247

(must admit I’d have given it 5/5 though! Smile )

Such a lovely game - so well written and characterised, full of emotion and with a wonderful soundtrack.

Anyone else played it?

Here’s the website:

http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/

Besides gog.com and Origin it’s also available on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/206440/

Do try it if you haven’t already. It’s well worth it. Smile

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

There was a thread on the old forum.

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30109&highlight=moon

Great story, no game.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

I played it recently and it made me cry. There isn’t much gameplay but it’s a real experience especially at the low price you can get it for (in sales, etc.).

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Lucien21 - 07 December 2012 02:36 PM

There was a thread on the old forum.

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30109&highlight=moon

Thanks, I had forgotten about the old forum. Smile

Great story, no game.

And I liked it all the better for it - the same goes for Dear Esther and Journey. Smile

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Lucien21 - 07 December 2012 02:36 PM

Great story, no game.

yep that sums it up. Very low game substance, but a nice story.

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

You know, up until playing To The Moon I would have happily stuck with Dear Esther as the being the best game that I have played for YEARS. I now feel that To The Moon is going to get top billing. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

One of the best games I’ve played in recent years, and definitely the most emotional!

A great story, a great game, and probably one that I’ll replay from time to time… Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

I find that it’s even better when you replay it as so many of the later memories and events at the start of the game really hit home emotionally (ie things which, on the first playthrough, you don’t understand until later in the game).

It’s such a wonderful game.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Finally completed To The Moon on Monday. I thought the writing and tone was completely hokey and maudlin up UNTIL the big tweest where the emotions start to become overwhelming. However, I still think it’s a slough going through the entirety of Act 1 in order to get to those juicy parts.

One of the issues I have with the writing is that it has its own specific science that’s relevant to the story but it’s never really clear such as River’s illness - what was wrong with her? Was she autistic? Did she have Alzheimers? Is it something created just in this game’s universe? Why so vague?

The way the story is weaved through the mechanics is pretty clever with various possessions relating to John’s life all being puzzles in and of themselves and you’re trying to piece together the history of John’s life through said items. Sort of like how finding the meaning of Rosebud is meant to draw viewers into Charles Foster Kane’s life in Citizen Kane. Although, in To The Moon, seeking explanations for the key items is often more interesting than what’s happening in John’s life at that time. The pixel art is really detailed as well.

I’m glad I finally had a chance to complete the game but there’s room for improvement. Definitely interested in seeing what Ken Gao does next.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

thejobloshow - 29 January 2013 09:44 PM

One of the issues I have with the writing is that it has its own specific science that’s relevant to the story but it’s never really clear such as River’s illness - what was wrong with her? Was she autistic? Did she have Alzheimers? Is it something created just in this game’s universe? Why so vague?

I thought the context made it rather obvious that River has Asperger Syndrome which is a form of autism. Having to slowly discover this for yourself without it being thrown in your face is one of the stronger points of the game, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

thejobloshow - 29 January 2013 09:44 PM

It is stated in the game that River suffers from a pervasive development disorder, which is a general term to cover the 5? types of autism. It does include Asperger’s Syndrome, TimovieMan, but the term is generally used when the type of autism isn’t/can’t be specified. River’s ‘illness’ does explain why she’s so obsessional & why John wrote the very repetitive tune for her. 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top