• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 48 - Shivers

Total Posts: 5597

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Even though I haven’t played the game yet, I’ve read reviews about it and used screenshots from it in my puzzles.  I know about Ixupi and having to capture them, but I promise not to tell anyone. Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the intro up to the point where the car drives away. Everything seems to work, although I don’t remember things being quite this grainy. However, in 1995, I was probably playing on a 10” CRT monitor at 640x480. Not a 28” flat screen at 1920x1080 where every imperfection is magnified.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

crabapple - 18 August 2018 10:18 AM

I don’t know if anyone is interested, but there is a Prologue starting on page 11 or 12 of the Shivers game manual on the Sierrahelp website
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Documents/Manuals/Shivers_-_Manual.pdf

The Prologue takes place in 1954, many years before the events in the game, and wasn’t included in CD case reissues like mine.

I’ve read the prologue and now I’m suitably terrified. Grin

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Intense Degree - 19 August 2018 03:14 AM

Also the multimedia videos – it was Happy Days indeed wasn’t it!

Well remembered!  Was the other one Edie Brickell?

ETA: 
It was this one, apparently:

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Intense Degree - 19 August 2018 03:14 AM
rtrooney - 18 August 2018 03:56 PM

I am still trying to find a contact for Willie Eide who was Marcia’s cohort on the game.

Please do!

Providing he accepts my Facebook “Friend Request” I’ll pass on the information.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I D - I’ve got a favor to ask. When I was searching for Willie Eide, I found him because of a mutual friend. And through that mutual friend, I found two others that were active on the CompuServe GAMERS forum when Shivers was being discussed. I have invited two, Olga and Monika to join us here. Neither are currently members of AG.

So, I was wondering if we could hold off the start of the game until Thursday in the hopes that we might get two more players as well as two more new AG members?

If neither join, proceed as you planned.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

rtrooney - 19 August 2018 01:06 PM

I played the intro up to the point where the car drives away. Everything seems to work, although I don’t remember things being quite this grainy. However, in 1975, I was probably playing on a 10” CRT monitor at 640x480. Not a 28” flat screen at 1920x1080 where every imperfection is magnified.

Yeah, the low resolution and high compression used back then looks pretty rough on today’s tech. But honestly I’m a bit shocked that you were able to play it back in 1975 Tongue hehe

One of the filters, that I mentioned earlier, is a TV filter that uses the classic CRT scanline effect. I like to use it on certain games when I want that retro feel. It looks pretty nice with this game.

PS Sorry for the accidental spoiler in my previous post!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

dumbeur - 19 August 2018 06:18 PM

Well remembered!  Was the other one Edie Brickell?

Ah, I’d totally forgotten that one!

rtrooney - 19 August 2018 08:35 PM

I D - I’ve got a favor to ask…

It would be great to have more/new people on board too, having said that I don’t suppose a day one way or the other makes much difference does it? Happy to push back a day if helpful though.

Sir Beardalot - 19 August 2018 10:44 PM

PS Sorry for the accidental spoiler in my previous post!

Hey, don’t worry about it, as Lady K’s gentle friendly chide above shows I was being a bit super paranoid…!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

…and in answer to my own questions…

1. What is your history with Shivers? First time playing it? Played many times already? When, if at all, did you first play it? (Let’s not get too into the game at this point and no spoilers please obviously).

I first played it back in the 90’s probably a year or so after it came out. I have played it several times over the intervening years. It’s one of those games for me that every now and then something reminds me of it and I think ‘I need to replay this game!’

2. What do you think of 1st person/slideshow games generally?

I wasn’t that into Myst when it came out and it was really the magic ‘Sierra’ logo on Shivers that made me get it. I am so glad I did though, this is the game that got me into 1st person adventure games and I have played and enjoyed quite a few of them after (and slightly because of) Shivers.

3. Shivers is a horror game. Don’t misunderstand me, you’re unlikely to get any sleepless nights from it, but it is a horror game. How do you get on with horror games/films/books?

I quite enjoy horror, but like many here prefer the psychological stuff to gore. Having said that I was the right age for the ‘Screams’ and ‘I know what you did last summers’ of the late 90’s and enjoyed the mix of ‘slasher’ and parody there. The intro video to Shivers really reminds me of that whole thing.

4. Shivers is a puzzle game. Sure there is story and backstory, a captivating world and the rest of it, but in this game puzzles are king. Maybe not quite to the extent of ‘Safecracker’ and certainly not anywhere near as difficult as ‘Riven’ but there sure are a lot of puzzles! How do you get on with puzzle games and where do you sit in the story vs puzzles thing?

I tend to be a 3rd person story rich kind of guy. Having said that a good game is a good game and Shivers is one of my favourites. I can live with puzzles alone but when you have great atmosphere as well as some story too I am sold!

5. Just for fun – Shivers was released in 1995. If you were around computers/PC gaming then what’s your favourite Windows 95 nostalgia?!

Although it’s not strictly a windows 95 thing the Johnny Castaway screensaver always reminds me of that time!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finally got a message off to Willie Eide. I’ve not heard back from Monika, received a favorable message from Olga. So, by-and-large the news is positive. Thumbs Up

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Intense Degree, I was in high school when the “Scream” and “I Know What You Did Last Summer” franchise was popular. I really enjoyed them, I had never seen slasher meets comedy before. During that time I also discovered the “Evil Dead” movies. I agree the intro to Shivers definitely reminds me of those films.

And thanks for reminding me of the Johnny Castaway screensaver! I used to love it and had completely forgotten about it. The good ole days of screensavers, haha!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

dumbeur - 19 August 2018 06:16 PM
crabapple - 18 August 2018 10:18 AM

I don’t know if anyone is interested, but there is a Prologue starting on page 11 or 12 of the Shivers game manual on the Sierrahelp website
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Documents/Manuals/Shivers_-_Manual.pdf

The Prologue takes place in 1954, many years before the events in the game, and wasn’t included in CD case reissues like mine.

I’ve read the prologue and now I’m suitably terrified. Grin

If you think that was scary, wait until you see (and hear) the mazes.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I was thinking of buying the game and following along with the playthrough, but I want to ask, how would you rate the scariness on a level of 1-10? I am very lightweight when it comes to scares, and absolutely hate jump scares. I had to quit playing a recent game I was playing, Year Walk because of that and I don’t think that is even billed as horror.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Luhr28 - 21 August 2018 07:03 AM

I was thinking of buying the game and following along with the playthrough, but I want to ask, how would you rate the scariness on a level of 1-10? I am very lightweight when it comes to scares, and absolutely hate jump scares. I had to quit playing a recent game I was playing, Year Walk because of that and I don’t think that is even billed as horror.

Check your PM.
I don’t want to post anything that someone might consider a spoiler at this time, either storywise or gameplaywise.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I wasn’t planning on joining the CPT, but now that it’s about to start… what the hell, I’m in… Cool

I’ve never played Shivers before, and frankly, I’m not sure what to expect. I can probably count the Myst-like games I’ve played on one hand. I got the game, read that prologue and watched the intro, so I’m ready to go!

Intense Degree - 17 August 2018 03:06 AM

1. What is your history with Shivers? First time playing it? Played many times already? When, if at all, did you first play it? (Let’s not get too into the game at this point and no spoilers please obviously).

Never played it before. I probably wasn’t even aware it existed before joining the forums. The only history with the game I have is going over some screenshots for some of the many quizzes we’ve held…

2. What do you think of 1st person/slideshow games generally?

Difficult to answer. I hated Myst when it was new, and that made sure I never really played many first-person/slideshow games. I did love Zork: Nemesis though, although I got stuck about 3/4 in and never finished it back in the day. Otherwise I’ve played a part of Darkstar, I’ve played The 7th Guest and most of The 11th Hour, and I’ve played Obsidian and ASA in the CPTs. I may be forgetting a couple first person games, but still, that’s pretty much it.

3. Shivers is a horror game. Don’t misunderstand me, you’re unlikely to get any sleepless nights from it, but it is a horror game. How do you get on with horror games/films/books?

I love horror films and I love horror books. Horror games are something else entirely. If I can’t die, or can’t die easily, then it’s ok, but I’m a nervous wreck playing horror games where death is cheap. I just can’t handle them. Oh, I can watch someone else play them, no problem. I just can’t handle them if I’m the one playing. Higher immersion than film and books, probably. I’ll *never* play Amnesia, for instance, because I’d probably have a heart attack about fifteen minutes in. Yet watching YouTube playthroughs don’t bother me in the slightest. Guess I’m weird that way…

4. Shivers is a puzzle game. Sure there is story and backstory, a captivating world and the rest of it, but in this game puzzles are king. Maybe not quite to the extent of ‘Safecracker’ and certainly not anywhere near as difficult as ‘Riven’ but there sure are a lot of puzzles! How do you get on with puzzle games and where do you sit in the story vs puzzles thing?

I enjoy casual games and puzzle-only games as well, so to me it doesn’t really matter as long as the game is good. I love playing games with a good story, but that’s not my only criterion for liking a game. If the puzzles are good, then yeah, bring it on.

5. Just for fun – Shivers was released in 1995. If you were around computers/PC gaming then what’s your favourite Windows 95 nostalgia?!

Upgrading my first computer with a CD-ROM player, upgrading to Windows 95 and getting The Dig (which was still brand new at that time), all on the same day. Given how much I love The Dig, this was a pretty big deal for me…  Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top