• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Fool and His Money

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

It’s finally here and it’s all I expected. For all you puzzle lovers and people who played and enjoyed Fool’s Errand.
http://www.fools-errand.com/05-the-fool-and-his-money/index.htm

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Looks very good. I’m thinking of buying it, but I read it has a fair number of word puzzles and I’m not sure it’s suitable for non-natives. What do you think? To give you an indication: the can puzzle (YYYYY) in the 7th Guest was a problem for me.  Meh

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

From what I’ve seen other people say, you may be right. But apparently there is a demo, so you could try that?

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Fien - 24 November 2012 09:46 AM

Looks very good. I’m thinking of buying it, but I read it has a fair number of word puzzles and I’m not sure it’s suitable for non-natives. What do you think? To give you an indication: the can puzzle (YYYYY) in the 7th Guest was a problem for me.  Meh

It will probably be an issue Frown . I’ve done about 10 puzzles and at least 2 of them involved making words from jumbled letters.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I’ve solved two nice puzzles of the demo. Not the one with letters though.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Fien - if you struggle with word puzzles (I’m assuming a form of dyslexia as you come across far from stupid), in this case anagrams, try here:
http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/advanced.html

Some might call it cheating but I think, where specific problems occur for an individual (I can’t do musical puzzles as I don’t “hear” musical differences properly), then any help is fine.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Thanks for the link, Jabod. It may come in handy.

I’m not dyslectic, just Dutch.  Innocent  Have you ever tried to solve word puzzles in a foreign language? Not easy, and not much fun either. At least, not for me. The can puzzle in the 7th Guest (words with Ys, no other vowels) was impossible. For one thing, I didn’t even know the word tryst. Well, now I do.

I liked the two puzzles I solved very much, so I’ll probably end up buying The Fool and His Money anyway. And I may consult a walkthrough for the word puzzles.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

colpet - 23 November 2012 03:38 PM

It’s finally here and it’s all I expected. For all you puzzle lovers and people who played and enjoyed Fool’s Errand.
http://www.fools-errand.com/05-the-fool-and-his-money/index.htm

Do I have to have played Fool’s Errand? Should I get that game first?

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

In the first game, you meet the characters of the Tarot deck, including your nemesis, the High Priestess.  There are some references to the previous game and characters, but on the whole, you get enough background in the introduction that it shouldn’t matter.  There is a story, but it all cleverly revolves around the puzzles.  Both games have layers upon layers to solves, and there are some delightful surprises along the way.

Fien,
There are many scrambled words, especially after you assemble the moon’s map, but if you get stuck, the hints are set up with gradual clues like the UHS.  I think you have a good command of English and should be able to do fairly well with it.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Thanks Lady. I think I’ll play through Fool’s Errand first, since it’s free. I’m sure I’ll end up buying the sequel. I love these kind of games Smile

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I’ve finished three of the five demo puzzles. Two with words and letters left. I really did try. Cry But I ordered the game this morning because I’m having so much fun with the other puzzles.

EDIT: I solved one! Oh happy dance! Funny thing is, I tried Jabod’s anagrammer and it didn’t come up with the right words at all. But it did point me in the right direction.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Is it really 39.95? I adored Fool’s Errand but it took me no longer than a few evenings, so unless The Fool and His Money is substantially longer I may need to wait until it becomes cheaper.

(Or my bank account becomes fatter. A fool and his money indeed…)

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

A few evenings, really? Some 65 puzzles? I’m duly impressed, although I haven’t played the first game (yet). I’ve always known my puzzle-solving skills are just average…

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Were there really 65? Wow. I’m definitely NOT above average except maybe on the word puzzles, which were most of them from memory. Some took only one or two minutes like rearranging the letters and the jigsaw puzzles. Others took a lot longer. I also used a walkthrough sometimes as this was back in my ‘impatient adventurer’ days.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oscar - 26 November 2012 10:03 AM

Is it really 39.95? I adored Fool’s Errand but it took me no longer than a few evenings, so unless The Fool and His Money is substantially longer I may need to wait until it becomes cheaper.

(Or my bank account becomes fatter. A fool and his money indeed…)

Oscar,
They must have been very long evenings. Smile Figuring out the mazes and the map alone took me days.

The sequel is much longer than the original and more complex, I think.  Puzzles are hidden in fun places, and figuring out the rules of the card games, auctions and other unique puzzles takes quite a while.  I have reams of notes.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I played Fool’s Errand years ago, but I can’t remember there being any sort of story in it. As I recall it was basically just a puzzle for every card in the tarot deck…
I could be wrong (since it was at least a decade ago), though.

Might replay it before giving this one a go. I loves me a good puzzle. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top