• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Myst (Poll) 

Poll: Your Favorite ?
Total Votes: 34
Myst
Riven
Exile
Revelation
End of Ages

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Today’s Scene of the day made me wonder how End of Ages held such bad impact over me and that Myst Series as much as they were close in everything as much as they can not be held in one package of Quality or Superiority .
each one had its own unique characteristics which make them all differs of each others (sometimes much) at many aspects and no one can claim which was the best of them all unless speaks from His/Her point of View. 

i wanted really to draw a graph for the 5 Parts and see how would it look like.

but considering how many die hard Myst Fans around here (all over the world) its easier to have this poll to maintain sort of a graph from a various number of Adventurer’s taste.

here are the AG Reviews ratings for each part which btw are not all reviewed by only one member of AG Staff Writers (just making it easier for anyone whom would be interested) :

Myst  ****

Riven  ****1/2

Exile  ****1/2

Revelation ****1/2

End of Ages ****

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Riven is a breathtaking, beautiful game. The others are, too, but Riven just stands out to me for some reason.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

inm8#2 - 21 November 2012 05:22 PM

Riven is a breathtaking, beautiful game. The others are, too, buts Riven just stands out to me for some reason.

I agree inm8#2 (a strange name i really always wondered if you meant it or just mistype) Grin
but there is a big issue with Riven than the other Mysts which concerning replaying it, the experience turns into Re-membering more than re-playing ,

i already love and enjoy replaying adventures so ,but i was never been able to enjoy finishing it again keeping in mind that Riven was the BEST gaming experience that i ever had.
have you ever been there or is it me?

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Although I absolutely loved how much action was in Revelations, I still have to go back to my original love and thats Riven. Riven had such an amazing overall experience. Extremely complex puzzles, spectacular contrast between environments, aurgasmic soundtrack, great story, and amazing art direction.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Advie - 21 November 2012 05:04 PM

Today’s Scene of the day made me wonder how End of Ages held such bad impact over me and that Myst Series as much as they were close in everything as much as they can not be held in one package of Quality or Superiority .
each one had its own unique characteristics which make them all differs of each others (sometimes much) at many aspects and no one can claim which was the best of them all unless speaks from His/Her point of View.

This is so true. You can’t separate your opinion of each of the games from your experience playing them. For example I can think of Riven as “the best” Myst game but then I realize that I often found it repetitive and tedious at times, and that most of the praise I got for the game was from various “Top 10 lists”.

If you ask me which game was the most enjoyable for me, I would say Myst III. But that has more to do with me than the game - maybe I was in a good mood at the time, or on a particularly nice vacation.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Of course Riven is the best. I also believe it is the best game of all time. I replayed it many times and I always have the same feeling (being sucked into a breathtaking world, still looking the view having a stupid smile to my face and walking around admiring the surroundings instead of actually just solving the riddles). For me, it had the best moments, the most complex (yet smart and logical)riddles, soundtrack, and world in general. The story was really to my liking, expanding the original Myst’s story to new levels. Its difficulty was up to my standards (the original Myst and Myst 3 were a little easier than I wanted to). Its graphics look awsome even now!! Gehn was also portrayed really great. The only thing that irritates me is the continual disk swapping when you travel from one island to another, but that is just insignificant. Revelation comes second, mostly because of its nice riddles/difficulty, the great new ages (great in both graphics/sound/concept, although they didn’t produce the same “feeling” Riven did…) and the return of the two brothers. I must admit that I didn’t like the whole “dreaming” part though. IMHO, Myst 3 is better than the first Myst. True, it is not as inspiring, but its balance was better and Saavedro was great in action. I also liked that you felt the bad guy’s presence around you compared to the “loneliness” of (mostly) Myst. And yes, EoA was the worst. By far. For once, I didn’t like the 3d models. They seem really antirealistic compaired to the previous Myst games’s FMVs. But most importantly, when I play a Myst game, I don’t really care for the D’ni civilization story. Let Uru be for that. The core of the story should always be Atrus’s family. Myst 5 was more of an Uru and less of a Myst game and despite the fact that I really enjoyed Uru, EoA was a great dissapointment as a Myst game.

EDIT: Not to mention the whole Bahro concept… Angry

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Uru was worse than End of Ages.

I find it hard to choose between 1, 2 and 3. Myst has the innovation factor, being the first to do something. Riven did that something even better but lacked that “being the first” factor, and 3 was just really enjoyable.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

When i saw your subject title thought a revival campaign about to start,expect to see Myst 6
on kickstarter but looks like series went sleep indefinately.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

I’m with oscar, loved the first 3. But never finished Revelation or Uru; Revelation because I hated the brothers so much the mere mention of their names had me foaming at the mouth. And the water sprites just wouldn’t be caught. Uru, let’s not go there, all that jumping.Frown
I replay both Riven and Exile every so often, Riven when I feel smart and Exile the other times.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

sarahandus - 22 November 2012 09:00 AM

I hated the brothers so much the mere mention of their names had me foaming at the mouth.

Admit it! One of them got you in the first Myst! Smile

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Advie - 21 November 2012 06:49 PM

Riven is a breathtaking, beautiful game. The others are, too, buts Riven just stands out to me for some reason.

I agree inm8#2 (a strange name i really always wondered if you meant it or just mistype) Grin

It means inmate nr. 2 I presume.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 22 November 2012 09:56 AM
Advie - 21 November 2012 06:49 PM

It means inmate nr. 2 I presume.

Thanks Kasper
and inm8#2 don’t consider there is no pun intended,YES..BUT you got my total respect

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

LOL Advie you crack me up, brother.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m going to cross-post from the Adventure Game Scene of the Day thread:

I never got into this series. Played Myst for a bit, back in the 90s, and hated it. Skipped/avoided all others for years until I gave Uru a chance. Played and finished it, but didn’t like it very much, confirming my dislike for all things Myst.
Then I gave Myst yet another chance when they ported it for the DS. WORST… GAME… EVER!!!

I just plain don’t like this series. It’s just not for me.
The only game in this genre that I actually liked is Zork Nemesis.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

TimovieMan - 22 November 2012 02:45 PM

The only game in this genre that I actually liked is Zork Nemesis.

What genre?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I think he means first person “slideshow” games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top