• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

OOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sierra Games

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2018-04-30

PM

Hi,

I’m seriously ill and I’m wanting to bring back the old days by playing any Sierra games on my iPad, I found this link…

http://ipad.sarien.net

And there’s some on there but I’m wanting to play all space quest, police quest games etc also one I’m after is colonels bequest.

Please can anyone help me get these for my iPad? I love bringing the old times back.

Thanks again,
Karl

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

I don’t think there’s a way to play them legally for the iPad, but if you have a PC you can use GoG to play them.

http://www.gog.com

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2018-04-30

PM

Ok thanks for think mate

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I think there’s a ScummVM for iOS - so you could buy the GOG version, copy the game data files to the iPad and play it using ScummVM there.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

ScummVM is your best option if you want to play those Sierra games on your iPad. But as far I know if you want to actually install ScummVM on iPad you need to jump through some hoops, as you at least in the past you couldn’t download it from app store.

https://blog.pmlabs-apps.com/scummvm-on-ios-without-jailbreak/

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Not sure how ScummVM for iOS handles user inputs, but most games playable through ScummVM are mouse-input based. That generally does not translate well to a touchscreen device.
So unless ScummVM has improved the game interface to support this, you’d be touching the screen all the time in search of hotspots. That combined with pixelhunting that many of these games resort to aswel and you get the idea on how fun this will be.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

ScummVM has two different modes for touch screens. The basic mode is, you can move the cursor on the screen like you’d do with a mouse pad, then there’s the direct control mode where the cursor goes instantly where you touch the screen.

Direct control works pretty well, though it has been some time since I’ve played games on ScummVM on my tablet. But what I did try, some Lucas games and some Sierra titles, I had no issues with them.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

So how would direct control work with a game like Gabriel Knight 1?
It has both multiple cursors for different actions and missing overview of hotspots (and even very unclear hotspot indicators).

Does ScummVM compensate for that on top of the standard’s game interface?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It doesn’t, you basically just have to know where those hot spots are, which isn’t an issue if you know the game already. If you don’t, it’s obviously going to be a bit of a trial and error.

But, it would be probably possible to implement some sort of a hotspot revealer or indicator to ScummVM. It would take some work, as you’d most likely have to do it by game the game, but I suppose it would be doable if someone would want to put some time and effort into it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 01 May 2018 11:06 AM

It doesn’t, you basically just have to know where those hot spots are, which isn’t an issue if you know the game already. If you don’t, it’s obviously going to be a bit of a trial and error.

But, it would be probably possible to implement some sort of a hotspot revealer or indicator to ScummVM. It would take some work, as you’d most likely have to do it by game the game, but I suppose it would be doable if someone would want to put some time and effort into it.

not necessarily, these games don’t need anything, with all due respect to all remakes of Sierra games, i and guess many still like to play the original, even the official remakes sierra did themselves to their games still not the 1st option. the beauty of Sierra games is to take it as it is or leave it, love or hate, there no in between, therefore, i see big differences in tackling with them as double fine Lucasarts’  remakes had mostly had to do with graphics and the just outlook but tackling with Sierra games esp. the 80s need much more than tweaking them thru art and graphics

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I’m not sure what you are trying to say Advie, but to my knowledge most remakes have introduced some kind of improved interface over the original, especially if the remake was also sold on mobile devices.

The original interface in general won’t work well on a mobile device and that goes for most Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games. At the very least you need a “show all hotspots” feature, which as far as I know is only available in a few exceptions. (I couldn’t even name one)

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve found ScummVM hit or miss on tablet, but it’s probably hitting 60-70% of games, and they’re still playable the rest of the time.

On the subject of hotspots, you can just run your finger over various parts of the screen to scan for objects.  It’s not perfect (sometimes your finger will be over the hotspot text) but it’s more than adequate. 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you are talking about playing on mobiles, and i hate playing on a mobile or type on it. sorry for the rushed post, fixed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top