• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

how many AGs went over people’ head but they were ahead of their time

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am not talking about underrated games or their copies sold-out figures, not at all, i am talking Grim Fandango, i.e.

can ye help me out here, because my memory doesn’t serve well right at the moment?

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Definitely A Mind Forever Voyaging. I would say The Experiment as well. Blue Ice?

I think with something like Dear Esther there was a backlash as well, people were not used to engaging with a game in that way. It was completely different to what we were used to, but now there are loads of games done in a similar way.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Donuts McGee - 27 April 2018 01:56 AM

Definitely A Mind Forever Voyaging. I would say The Experiment as well. Blue Ice?

Blue Ice ahead of its time? Hmm. Maybe, I suppose it was ahead of the ARGs and metapuzzle games like Fez. But I’d put it as much in the past with competitions like Kit Williams’ book Masquerade (and there were a few games back in the 80s that tried something similar - PiMania, Eureka, HareRaiser…)

My nomination? Azrael’s Tear.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Phlebas - 27 April 2018 05:09 AM

would care to explain how phlebas? i read its a kinda game that looks like Myst clone, but then everything turns counterintuitive.

I myself nominate Manhunter! the slide show the trio/Murry’s had pulled was ahead of Myst’s. and the 1st person/mouse perspective and control compo too.
yeah i know that Manhunter wasn’t the first first-person Adventure** but don’t tell me (anyone) that it had sorta effect over the Miller’s.
i am not a very strong hunter of their interviews, but i would be surprised if they had never mentioned it!!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Advie - 27 April 2018 06:15 AM
Phlebas - 27 April 2018 05:09 AM

would care to explain how phlebas? i read its a kinda game that looks like Myst clone, but then everything turns counterintuitive.

It might look like a Myst clone from the screenshots (or maybe Journeyman Project is closer - there’s more of a HUD and an inventory) but it’s in realtime 3D with some (very limited) combat/action sequences. It has a sense of physicality, and of your presence in the game world, to it that the Myst games didn’t (well, maybe Uru, but that wasn’t until years later - this was before Riven even).

It had its flaws - the combat was weak, it was too easy to die or get stuck, and the machine requirements were high so it tended to run jerkily. But what it tried to do was years ahead of its time.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Phlebas - 27 April 2018 06:39 AM

).

It had its flaws - the combat was weak, it was too easy to die or get stuck, and the machine requirements were high so it tended to run jerkily. But what it tried to do was years ahead of its time.

thanks, Phlebas for explaining.

i think we shan’t be looking at flaws, the evolution of the genre was based the pros of each step of the way, based always on some games pushing the limit (risking it of confidently) and being ahead ..., Roberta established the graphics over something that was ahead of its time, LucasArt pushed the interactive scope ahead ... and then, this.. and.. that, until there was nuthing else to be given?.. Nah! there is/was/will be adventure ahead of its time, some recognized or even cherished and some have remained lonely! or slipped out of the race of evolution whether there came a time when some dev used it as stepping stone or this time ain’t happening whether because its risk (many successful games were a risk that boomed well than expected, Myst one of them) or it just went over their head..but then who knows. did the spot revealer inventor know how crucial it would be for AGs that came later on, at least for some long period of time?)

i think there are 100s of “things?” where you can say “if it wasnt for that, this would not have happened”, but simply those which were never recognized or forgotten are the matter here, i feel its an important tell of those “touches?” that isnt recognized for what they were, simply (again and again) a company that is ruling now; ttg, over a game or games that was/were ahead of it. but ttg, of course, is not the issue here because most know where they came from and which stepping stones they used, but others that were never credited or recognized for what they were/are, i must say its crucial that we spot them (games).

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Maupiti Island still goes over my head, 28 years later.

Text adventures are a very a rich source of “ahead of their time” discussion but I don’t know if anyone is interested in talking about them here, since they are barely covered on the site.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 27 April 2018 08:13 AM

Maupiti Island still goes over my head, 28 years later.

Text adventures are a very a rich source of “ahead of their time” discussion but I don’t know if anyone is interested in talking about them here, since they are barely covered on the site.

you cant stop your sarcasm. it doesnt matter if it went over your* head, or you might be giving me an english lesson.

text adventure cant be a subject here, because, it the stepping stone to everything (hear gary oldman voice in your ears, please), plus later Infocom and Sierra didnt let it pass as a lonely experiment.

sanitarium scope’ bird’s-eye view went over the devs head for almost 2 decades until The Brotherhood decided its time they themselves use it as a stepping stone to give Stasis,  and if they didnt, it would have been yet over the head of all the developers and designers and genre itself. (i wish really i had more vocabulary to tell of the matter i am into here, but that is sadly is all that i have)

there must be yet other matters similar that were the root of others success, or yet still over our head

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 28 April 2018 03:26 PM

text adventure cant be a subject here, because, it the stepping stone to everything (hear gary oldman voice in your ears, please), plus Sierra didnt let pass it as a lonely experiment.

I don’t know what you mean about Sierra. They never had anything to do with text adventures.

Interactive fiction has always been and still is a very experimental genre, constantly challenging what can be done within the medium. Dismissing it as a “stepping stone” to graphic adventures is doing it and AGs as a whole a big disservice.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2018 05:07 PM
Advie - 28 April 2018 03:26 PM

text adventure cant be a subject here, because, it the stepping stone to everything (hear gary oldman voice in your ears, please), plus Sierra didnt let pass it as a lonely experiment.

I don’t know what you mean about Sierra. They never had anything to do with text adventures.

Interactive fiction has always been and still is a very experimental genre, constantly challenging what can be done within the medium. Dismissing it as a “stepping stone” to graphic adventures is doing it and AGs as a whole a big disservice.

have you read Sierra, and dismissed everything

Edit: i see where is the misunderstanding coming from; ‘plus’ here i didnt mean to make it rule ‘everything’ where now i see as the phrasing right would give that impression,  ‘everything’/text adventures has to do with many and most genres from action to RPGs and others, with are thousands of thousands of ideas and tropes, whereas plus i meant the companies that carrid adventure gaming later and yet they were text adventures from sierra and Infocom carried on. i fixed it.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Would you say Normality by Gremlin Interactive? Noble attempt at a first-person adventure game with a sense of humour but I feel like the only one who cared that this game existed.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

thejobloshow - 29 April 2018 02:55 AM

Would you say Normality by Gremlin Interactive? Noble attempt at a first-person adventure game with a sense of humour but I feel like the only one who cared that this game existed.

It was a very dumb game. And the graphics were the same or worse than Under a Killing Moon which was released 2 years earlier.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d call all the games in Sierra Hi-Res series as text adventures. Sure, they don’t have much of a parser, but they still are text adventures with graphics. You can even turn the graphics off and settle on the text only.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 29 April 2018 05:32 PM

I’d call all the games in Sierra Hi-Res series as text adventures. Sure, they don’t have much of a parser, but they still are text adventures with graphics. You can even turn the graphics off and settle on the text only.

cheers, tomimt as this is what i was trying to say when i mentioned sierra (that hasnt anything with my luv for it), is how sierra (and other devs) even the graphics evolution which is only an eventual evolution from the core pure text games that was invented at the mid-70s, and just carried on.

i guess its something inventable when mentioning colossal cave that you mean the first spark at the begging of computers to interduce gaming* with 6-bit-byte or close to people , and its an honor to adventure gaming no doubt.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Advie - 26 April 2018 11:22 PM

i am not talking about underrated games or their copies sold-out figures, not at all, i am talking Grim Fandango, i.e.

can ye help me out here, because my memory doesn’t serve well right at the moment?

Grim Fandango certainly went over my head at the time - and has since turned out to be one of my top 10 - but still, how was it ahead of its time ?
If anything the direct control thingy was a step backwards (see Eternam) and I love the fact that the remaster has added classic p&c controls.

I actually can’t think of any game that would answer your topic’s question, although I can think of some AGs which tried to be ahead of their time but weren’t that great : Fahrenheit, Broken Sword 3, ...

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Given their success I wouldn’t say they went over anyone’s heads, but the later Tex Murphy games were so far ahead of their time that they’re STILL ahead of most games. Quite apart from the amount and quality of the live-action sequences and strong writing, they were doing 3D exploration long before that caught on as a thing, choice-driven dialogues with genuinely branching paths and multiple endings, various difficulty settings, hint system, and I’m probably forgetting others.

Other games have done some of these things as well, sure, but how many have put so many together all in the same package, before OR since? Those Tex games, to me, felt like they were built from the ground up to suit the developer’s vision, not simply slapped together into some pre-existing format like most games. And no one else really picked up on it. The Tex games were loved and lauded at the time, but instead of providing the groundwork for what future adventures should aspire to, they continued to just kind of stand on their own as brilliant anomalies for YEARS until many of those same ideas slowly started filtering, individually, into other games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top