• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefirwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do you meet adventure gamers much in real life?..

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

I’ve met only one person who knew about Sierra in my whole life, and it was only a few weeks ago. We’re in touch.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i made music… i mean composed he poem/lyrics but i ain’t gonna show it u Tongue

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

10 years ago I felt that I was the only one who enjoys playing adventure games (except a bunch of people on some forums). I had some of those friends who had been crazy about Lucas Arts adventures when they were kids but stopped playing AG’s after that.

Nowadays most of my friends who enjoy games have a strong connection to the genre or at least an opinion. Even if they don’t play them regularly they know what an AG is. Including people who haven’t played such games before. At first I was really surprised by that fact, then I started taking it as something normal. I think nowadays the whole game industry (and gamers along with it) has put a strong focus on story telling and player’s choices.” Even if that doesn’t hook up new people to the genre it’s definitely hooking them to some of the genre’s core elements.

I’m just back from a game jam (which is not your normal social surroundings, of course ) and I was amazed by the taste of all the people there (around 100 people). Almost everybody I talked with and tried to impress with my obscure-game-knowledge were more prepared than me.

So I guess it’s all down to the type of social contacts you have.

Adventure games are not dead, you guys.  Tongue

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Unfortunately it doesn’t come up at all these days, but when games were boxed and cost fifty+ dollars, I chatted with a woman at a vets office and found to my surprise that she too liked adventures and had played many of them.  She was moving away but suggested we stay in touch and we struck up a deal where she would buy and play a game then I would pay half and she’d send it to me when she was done.  It worked out well for over a year until the games we wanted to play got scarce. 

I did get quite a few to add to my collection.  I think Secrets of the Luxor was the last one.  She picked it up when she went to Las Vegas.

Colpet, I miss Uru Live too.  I still go back occasionally to visit my Relto.  Perhaps we ran into each other then - I was D’Ara.

Advie, I think this is a great topic too, and don’t get discouraged.  Smile  I see those quotes as more wistful than negative.  The internet is great for finding people with our interests but has also contributed to the demise of game stores as downloads have taken over.  I miss them but time marches on.  I’m grateful we all still can communicate, if not in person.   

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

I must say that I’m quite fortunate to live so close to Cologne, Germany, where Gamescom takes place.  The Adventure-Treff party - which always takes place at a beach club on Friday night - is a great place to meet lots of kind people from the adventure world.  I was fortunate to meet many great adventure fans there troughout the years.  Aside of the “fans” you also always have a bunch of developers there. (not just the ones from Germany) 

There’s a great community vibe to the whole thing, and I can only recommend it to anyone who has a chance to go. Smile

If you are interested, you’ll surely find loads of pictures on the Facebook page of Adventure-Treff.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2018-01-27

PM

When talking to friends or new acquaintances about my favorite hobby, I usually prefer to use the term interactive stories instead or adventure games or video games. That seems to help a bit in avoiding that annoying feeling of being judged upon something they perceive as either violent or made for young people. Then I explain the genre in a general fashion (games that are focused on storytelling, characters, dialog, puzzle solving, etc.).

And alas, as others have previously said, the time when I had friends playing not just adventures but any game in general, appears to be long gone. Which is why I finally decided to join the AG forums over the weekend. So hi everyone!

Smile

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Welcome, Bluamy!

Joined 2018-01-27

PM

Dara100 - 29 January 2018 03:52 PM

Welcome, Bluamy!

Thank you!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Bluamy - 29 January 2018 03:17 PM

That seems to help a bit in avoiding that annoying feeling of being judged upon something they perceive as either violent or made for young people.

Smile

fkn LOOL Blumy,  but a nice description of that moment for you and ho feel and bring it up in the first place .. freaky!!
for me for i just punch him hard in the face, breaking his nose,  and slap his checks in a terrible waltz tempo; three times tak, tak, traark!! but of course all in my dream at 2 secs of being silent looking past him as I have seen a ghost, then before he notices anything strange i come up with another total subject; asking him if he did see the yesterday grade c final match of the Tanzanian league or not?.. most of the times he would not even know about Tanzania in the first place!! so there you go, a subject that i know enough about to share with ‘em before i kill him.

Joined 2018-01-27

PM

Advie - 29 January 2018 05:24 PM

fkn LOOL Blumy,  but a nice description of that moment for you and ho feel and bring it up in the first place .. freaky!!

I know, it’s weird. But believe me, it happened many, many times. Gasp

Maybe I’m just not lucky with people, or maybe it has something to do with how they perceive gaming where I live. Or maybe I’m too sensitive. I don’t know. But it’s bad enough that I’ve literally stopped talking about my hobby to almost everyone. I see it more as a personal thing now, as in something I keep for myself.

I wish I had the guts to punch my way out of things though, as you so aptly appear to be doing. Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Advie - 28 January 2018 09:15 PM
dumbeur - 28 January 2018 08:46 PM

Heart Advie.

thanks, dumbeur, isn’t relieving after all those negative quotes, at least a bit hmmmh?

I try to just focus on the positive/constructive stuff. Grin

As to the question at hand, the people I know seem to be neatly divided into those who don’t understand gaming at all and certainly don’t differentiate between the genres and those who are into gaming and are aware of adventure games but seldom/never play them.  So I’m never really in a spot where I have to explain what they are.

My primary source of income for quite a few years has been online poker though, so that’s always fun to explain.

I also came seeking this place because none of my gaming buddies wanted to discuss adventure games.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Yeah, I pretty much keep it to myself as well. For example: My younger coworkers always talk about FPS games and MMORPG’s. A few times I’ve gotten into a conversation and when I tried to explain adventure games. As in exploration and puzzle solving. They looked at me like I was weird and asked “Is that what old people do?” Well, I’m only 38 so calling me old ticked me off. I mean these guys are 19-24 age. How the heck am I old?! But anyway, yeah we are just a special breed of folks! Not zombified brainless idiots Smile Which is why I come to this forum and several other sites. To share my love for adventure games with people who have the same love and passion for good story telling, exploration, and solving puzzles Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2018-01-27

PM

Sir Beardalot - 29 January 2018 11:06 PM

To share my love for adventure games with people who have the same love and passion for good story telling, exploration, and solving puzzles Smile

Exactly! Very well said. Smile

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Bluamy - 31 January 2018 03:12 PM
Sir Beardalot - 29 January 2018 11:06 PM

To share my love for adventure games with people who have the same love and passion for good story telling, exploration, and solving puzzles Smile

Exactly! Very well said. Smile

Thanks Bluamy and welcome to the club! Wink

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2018-01-27

PM

Sir Beardalot - 31 January 2018 03:59 PM

Thanks Bluamy and welcome to the club! Wink

Thank you! And a fine and friendly club it is. Heart Eyes

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top