• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

FMV games

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2015-10-23

PM

Hello I am now a gabriel knight fan. I have played gabriel knight 1 and 2 and am now making my way through number 3. One thing that stood out about number 2 is the fact that it was fmv. I liked for a change to play an adventure game with real actors.I would appreciate if anybody could list other fmv games available on steam or gog. Thankyou

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

If you liked Gabriel 2 you can check out other Sierra fmv games like Shivers or Phantasmagoria.

One of the really good newer fmv games on Steam is Contradiction:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/373390/Contradiction__Spot_The_Liar/

Her Story is another brilliant fmv game, but it doesn’t play like a traditional point and click.

Also there are the very popular Tex Murphy games.

Here is an older thread that can give you more ideas Smile

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2732/

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Zork Nemesis, Zork Grand Inquisitor, and Return to Zork all had filmed actors.
Tex Murphy Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, Overseer, and Tesla Effect had filmed actors.
Riven, Myst, and Myst V had filmed actors.
Toonstruck had filmed actors.
Journeyman Project 2, 3, and Pegasus Prime have filmed actors.
Phantasmagoria 1 and 2 have filmed actors.

The above are all available from GOG, and have varying amounts of FMV.

Contradiction is not available from GOG, but can be found at Humble and Steam.

If you’re looking for games similar to GK2 in that they have filmed footage almost all the time, then Contradiction, Tesla Effect, and Toonstruck, (and possibly Phantasmagoria if you don’t mind cheesy horror).

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Toonstruck does not have filmed actors all the time. Only the avatar of the protagonist, in a cartoon world, plus the intro.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

These are not to be missed:

Tender Loving Care
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Col - 16 December 2017 10:06 PM

Hello I am now a gabriel knight fan. I have played gabriel knight 1 and 2 and am now making my way through number 3. One thing that stood out about number 2 is the fact that it was fmv. I liked for a change to play an adventure game with real actors.I would appreciate if anybody could list other fmv games available on steam or gog. Thankyou

You just played the best fmv of adv.gaming history and asking for more but don’t expect to find any good really, others are nowhere near quality of GK2.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

A favourite game of mine is “Spycraft”. Not sure if it’s strictly a adventure game, but I think it’s fun with different elements. (not a funny game, just fun to play…)  Tongue

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Shivers 1&2 are both first-person games, so the amount of
FMV is limited.

Phantasmagoria 1&2 are loaded with FMV, but there is a love/hate attitude with many players.

Black Dahlia is among the best, but good luck finding a copy or getting it to run.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Gabe - 17 December 2017 03:37 AM

You just played the best fmv of adv.gaming history and asking for more but don’t expect to find any good really, others are nowhere near quality of GK2.

I’d say Tex Murphy games are on the par with GK2. Personally, I think acting is far more consistent on Tex games as well, but that’s mostly because I don’ really like Dean Ericson.

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

tomimt - 17 December 2017 01:51 PM

I’d say Tex Murphy games are on the par with GK2. Personally, I think acting is far more consistent on Tex games as well, but that’s mostly because I don’ really like Dean Ericson.

B movie acting aside Tex series(4) gui is horrible and environments are plain hideous.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Although all of the mentioned games here do have FMV video clips of real actors and are mostly in first person view, isn’t the only other FMV game where you control a real actor on screen in third person view like GK2 be Phantasmagoria 1? At least its the only one that comes to mind so I may have memory loss and forgeting one or more..

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Gabe - 17 December 2017 02:09 PM
tomimt - 17 December 2017 01:51 PM

B movie acting aside Tex series(4) gui is horrible and environments are plain hideous.

Tex games stand among the best games, not much doubt in that, FMV or not.

And dissing Tex Murphy acting while complementing GK2?

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

wilco - 17 December 2017 02:46 PM

Tex games stand among the best games, not much doubt in that, FMV or not.

And dissing Tex Murphy acting while complementing GK2?

They might be among the best some 20 years ago but failed to stand test of time,can’t
recommend them anymore.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

GreyFuss - 17 December 2017 02:32 PM

Although all of the mentioned games here do have FMV video clips of real actors and are mostly in first person view, isn’t the only other FMV game where you control a real actor on screen in third person view like GK2 be Phantasmagoria 1? At least its the only one that comes to mind so I may have memory loss and forgeting one or more..

No, there are plenty. Toonstruck, Countdown, Dark Seed 1+2, PQ4, Martian Memorandum, Blue Force, Harvester, Sherlock Holmes - Rose Tattoo. The list goes on…

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Luhr28 - 17 December 2017 03:19 PM
GreyFuss - 17 December 2017 02:32 PM

No, there are plenty. Toonstruck, Countdown, Dark Seed 1+2, PQ4, Martian Memorandum, Blue Force, Harvester, Sherlock Holmes - Rose Tattoo. The list goes on…

Nice list. You can add in Riddle of Master Lu and Noctropolis.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Well I stand corrected although some of those I wouldn’t class in my category’s definition of FMV and most likely why I didn’t recall them, I can see how they would be classed in the general adventure gamers definition. All of those I have tried out and discarded as they weren’t, in any way, my kind of game. So all this being said could we say that GK2 is the only FMV, third person view, on screen controlled, FMV game that takes place in the real world or maybe I missed something here also?

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top