• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Pyoro-2

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme of the Week #19 - How do you like to be disturbed!

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 25 September 2017 04:05 AM

Does anyone really like being disturbed? I think if you really like something, scary ghosts in a movie or violence, it is not disturbing. Otherwise you are mentally ill and need help.

I think I do but I am mentally ill so maybe you’re on to something. Tongue

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not going to reload it just to grab a screenshot, but I’m surprised nobody mentioned Scratches.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Necronomicon kind of disturbance that hero’s hair goes white.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 25 September 2017 12:50 PM

I’m not going to reload it just to grab a screenshot, but I’m surprised nobody mentioned Scratches.

I agree, this is probably one of the most disturbing adventures I’ve played. Some episodes made me quit the game for some time due to high tension. Another game that made me nervous was Ecstatica. Amusing contrast of dark humour, bright colors, ellipsoids that made monsters look like carnaval balloons and violent scripted scenes - all this made it a very disturbing experience. Quest for Glory IV was a very atmospheric dive into the dark mythology of Eastern Europe, and it was quite unnerving to travel through the night forest.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

dumbeur - 25 September 2017 12:14 PM
nomadsoul - 25 September 2017 05:08 AM

Rennes Le Château , real life counterpart is old, mystic , rundown and have this spiritual negative vibe
Creeps me out in bad way…like them old jerusalem places

Only mystical thing about Rennes Le Château to me was the prices in the bookstore.

Tourist trap Smile

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t know how to differentiate disturbing from scary. For the latter I nominate an early attempt by Sierra to do a Myst clone…Shivers. There were more than a few “jump scares” in the game. The biggest being the eyes of the demon at the top of the stairs after leaving the tar pit for the first time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Does anyone really like being disturbed? I think if you really like something, scary ghosts in a movie or violence, it is not disturbing. Otherwise you are mentally ill and need help.

The idea behind any kind of art is to evoke various emotions. Nothing mentally ill in that.

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

This is a great list of disturbing games and I’ve survived a lot of them Shivers was the first scary game I ever played and I thought Sanitarium was disturbingly brilliant. That was a game that kept me guessing at every turn.

But one game that no one has mentioned is Missing: Since January (In Memoriam). I found this game to be so disturbing that I quit and never finished it. Being in contact with a serial killer with human lives hanging in the balance and waiting for an email was more than I could handle. I know it was “just a game” but being reasonably intelligent, logical and sensible didn’t stop the sweaty palms and feeling of dread. Even buying two copies of Missing - one for me and one for my son for my first ever group play, didn’t stop me from deleting the game. My son finished it but never told me a thing about it per my request. One of these days I may get back to it since it’s sitting on the back of a shelf. I can feel it waiting.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

badlemon - 26 September 2017 01:32 PM

The idea behind any kind of art is to evoke various emotions. Nothing mentally ill in that.

No, but we are talking about enjoying being disturbed. Ever talked to someone who has been to war, or witnessed a murder? If they said they enjoyed it, I would strongly suspect mental illness.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 26 September 2017 03:28 PM

No, but we are talking about enjoying being disturbed. Ever talked to someone who has been to war, or witnessed a murder? If they said they enjoyed it, I would strongly suspect mental illness.

There’s a big difference between experiencing terrible events 1st hand in the real world, in which case a person may not want to relive that again within the story of a game, & being disturbed by those portrayed in a fictional setting unrelated to previous life experiences.

But to add a game that I didn’t get very far with which is removed from any sense of reality is Lucius. I couldn’t persevere with the idea of actually playing as the young son of the devil killing for the sake of it…..as I did, yes, find that idea disturbing but I possibly could have entertained it in 3rd person perspective if the story was strong enough?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Whenever this subject is brought up, I remember an AGS game Mourir en Mer. To quote the fantastic site Home of the Underdogs:

“Mourir en Mer (To Die at Sea in English) is a great amateur game that showcases the breadth of subjects that adventure games can handle effectively. Although it is a small game that will take you less than an hour to finish, Mourir en Mer succeeds in doing what many commercial titles fail to do: draw you into a captivating story that tackles a range of difficult subjects that are not seen often in adventure games - disability, cruelty, and death. You play a sick, ugly boy who has been locked up by his cruel father. With only the novel “Moby Dick” to keep company, the boy has but one dream: to see the sea before he dies.”

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

The enjoyment we’re discussing here is being provoked within an artificial setting. It’s like watching a well made sad movie. You enjoy the movie’s success of evoking a deep emotion. Doesn’t mean that you want to experience that in real life.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

badlemon - 27 September 2017 06:04 AM

The enjoyment we’re discussing here is being provoked within an artificial setting. It’s like watching a well made sad movie. You enjoy the movie’s success of evoking a deep emotion. Doesn’t mean that you want to experience that in real life.

I know, I never said it did. We are talking about being disturbed. You may not have experienced it, but movies and games are capable of provoking extreme reactions. As in panic attacks, crouching down in a corner scared for your life. Talking about people “enjoying” that experience and saying it cannot be disturbing because it isn’t real life is insulting to those people and plays down their suffering. In the same way it would be to play down someone’s experience in war, saying it was possible that they enjoyed it.

People who play horror games and enjoy them are in the majority, but you can’t say they are ever disturbed by them. But there are people who are disturbed and likewise, they definitely do not enjoy the experience.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 27 September 2017 07:35 AM

Talking about people “enjoying” that experience and saying it cannot be disturbing because it isn’t real life is insulting to those people and plays down their suffering

gamers can suffer medically by games not just by content but by its nature to ,
like FPS causes nausea and motion sickness to fast images causing fits
Doesnt mean others cannot enjoy them, thats a strawman

People who play horror games and enjoy them are in the majority, but you can’t say they are ever disturbed by them. But there are people who are disturbed and likewise, they definitely do not enjoy the experience.

I enjoyed SH like many others and its very disturbing in very artistic way

Chrissie is right, i like gore in Mikami games for instance but i cannot bear animals blood in slaughter house which we daily eat

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I can’t believe we’re having this discussion. People have been enjoying sad ballad music hits and drama movies for ages. There’s nothing different with games. Being disturbed is emotion like any other, and in sadness and melancholy you can also find the new strength.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top