• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Does Monkey Island 2 have the worst ending ever in adventure genre or in the entire gaming history?

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

I don’t consider an ending being too short or ended in a cliffhanger to be a bad ending.

The ending in MI2 is so atrocious that it can literally ruin any franchise you could think of. It made you feel like all the great moments that you have experienced in Secret of Monkey Island and MI2 meant absolutely nothing. You wasted your time being so invested in them. Now, if he did pull off this type of ending early in the first MI, then it would have been a whole different story.

It’s like Ron Gilbert knew that he wouldn’t be staying with Lucasarts much longer, and he didn’t want anyone else to work on a 3rd MI, so he decided to pull this jerk move.

So, does MI2 have the worst ending ever? I’m sure the controversial ending of Mass Effect 3 pales in comparison to MI2 ending. The Mass Effect fans were just overacting.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

No .. It is “only” the 2nd worst.

By far the worst imltho is the ending to Life is Strange, basically a this-was-all-a-dream-ending and undoing every single choice you had made in the game. In a game that is based around choices it can’t get any worse then that.

Any yes the ending of ME3 is not even in the same category as these.

Edit: Fortunately a game is more than its ending, and I enjoyed both MI2 and LiS despite their endings.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

LiS ending isn’t “a dream ending”. You get to choose do you save the town or save Chloe.  It’s a choice of which you weight more, the lives of those you don’t know versus the one you do.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I think that you are missing my point.

[spoiler]If you choose to save the town, then you go right back to start, and everything that had happened in the game is undone. Effectively making it a this-was-all-a-dream-ending.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]If you choose to save Chloe, 99.9% of what had happened will or have already been undone. Effectively making it a this-was-allmost-all-a-dream-ending.[/spoiler]

The fact that the game ends with a binary choice, and all the rest of your choices doesn’t matter one bit, that is something I can accept, though I don’t like it.
The fact that 99.9 - 100% of everything in the game never actually happened, that is simply unacceptable in my book, and very poor writing.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If you save Chloe, the town is still in ruins, some people are dead, some alive, depending on what you did. Your numbers are a bit hyperbolic. You can’t erase some things you do. And think it this way, if you don’t save Chloe you are leaving a serial killer open to continue his business as well.

There’s a lot more in the ending you give it credit for.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

No.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I think you are simply remembering things incorrectly, though I don’t blame you for it as it is extremely confusing to keep track of.

The serial killer will be caught regardless of what you do.
The only people that will live or die, depending on your actions is whoever you might be able to save during your run through town during the storm, everything else and everyone else you might or might not have saved, that have already been undone!

Try to go through all the different time-jumps and isolate the story parts that haven’t been undone before the very end (however concussing and difficult that might be), and you will notice that it is far less than 1% of the whole story that still stands at the end - and even that is only if you choose to save Chloe.

We might not be able to agree on this, and that is fine, but I still maintain that it is by far the worst ending I have ever seen in any kind of fiction.

I still like the rest of the game though.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’d appreciate it if people would be considerate enough to put their GIANT SPOILERS of a game that is NOT mentioned in the title of this thread in SPOILER TAGS.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Karlok - 21 September 2017 07:13 PM

I’d appreciate it if people would be considerate enough to put their GIANT SPOILERS of a game that is NOT mentioned in the title of this thread in SPOILER TAGS.

Haha thanks, Karlok.  I do wander around many of these threads with great trepidation only half reading what is being said for this very reason. Wink

I am a neophyte among the masters here.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sorry dumbeur, all the games mentioned her have already been discussed many times without spoiler tags in this forum, so I didn’t really think anyone still was unaware of the ending, and spoiler tags was needed.

Hell, Limbo of the Lost has pretty much turned into a meme Tongue

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 22 September 2017 02:15 AM

Sorry dumbeur, all the games mentioned her have already been discussed many times without spoiler tags in this forum,

That is simply not true. We have never been in the habit of discussing endings of recent or fairly recent games without spoiler tags. Not even in a thread devoted to that particular game, let alone in a thread about a totally different game where people have no warning. Life is Strange was released in 2015, I’d call that fairly recent. Lots of people don’t play games the year they are released. Only a couple of weeks ago, someone started a thread asking for opinions and info about Life is Strange.

Dumbeur has played Life is Strange. I haven’t. And yes, you spoiled it for me, even though I stopped reading after that one sentence where you revealed the ending. There was no way I could have seen that coming.

so I didn’t really think anyone still was unaware of the ending, and spoiler tags was needed.

I would like to hear how other people feel about this.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Actually, the ending of Life is Strange gave me an entirely different feeling. I really don’t feel like everything was just rewinded to the beginning of the story, and that was it.

One of the first things that happened after Max got back to Arcadia Bay was Chloe’s death. The time-travel ability allowed Max to spend precious “bonus” time with someone who used to be very important in her life. Actually, I feel like the decision of letting Chloe go in the end (which is the canon ending, I guess), makes all of that “borrowed” time so much more precious and important. For me, this was one of the key things about Life is Strange, so I’m fine with the direction they have taken towards the end.

This even had an effect on me when I played the first episode of Before the Storm a few nights ago. The snapshots in time of Chloe and Rachel made me feel even more melancholic since I knew that both of them would be dead just a few years later. (at least according to what I think of as the canon version of season 1)

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 1789

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Karlok - 22 September 2017 04:02 AM

I would like to hear how other people feel about this.

I’m with Karlok on this. I haven’t played LiS yet (along with many other games of course) and I very much doubt if I, or Karlok, are the only ones. As a rule of thumb I’d suggest, when discussing games, only post openly what you’d reasonably expect to read in a review and everything else is covered by spoiler tags. It takes no real effort to do this and makes sure that the game(s) isn’t ruined for others without making the discussion pointless.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

No. I don’t know what the worst ending is, but MI2’s is great.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I added spoiler tags to the LiS posts. Please use spoiler tags in discussing the ending of any game. I never finished Monkey Island 2 and don’t really need to now, because the ending was spoiled for me on a forum years ago. Tongue

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Guyper - 21 September 2017 02:31 PM

I don’t consider an ending being too short or ended in a cliffhanger to be a bad ending.

I consider all cliffhangers in games to be bad.
It’s not like the following game will be released any time soon, if at all.

So, does MI2 have the worst ending ever? I’m sure the controversial ending of Mass Effect 3 pales in comparison to MI2 ending. The Mass Effect fans were just overacting.

I think the Mass Effect 3 ending was worse.
As annoying as the Monkey Island 2 ending was, it does leave room for alternate explanations besides “all the great moments that you have experienced in Secret of Monkey Island and MI2 meant absolutely nothing.”

You may or may not have seen this YouTube video on the subject of Monkey Island 2’s ending
Monkey Island 2’s Ending Explained (sort of)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top