• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

ttg evaluation (poll)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i always write their name with small letter as the way they do, without any disrespect intended .

on a scale of 5 how much would you give ttg over their effect and the kinda revival they did to the genre plus; pushing it forward into the main stream; once its games had been the best game of the year (2012),  but yet keeping in mind the changes of direction they had made after this achievement until today . (IMO).. They have started taken things for granted.

so here you go, its your say, your calculation and evaluation for them/it (ttg)

P.S: 1 is bad 5 is better (good)
p.s.s: this poll its supposedly made to be looked at thru a real adventurer eyes/perspective

I CANT MAKE THe POLL WORK,
each time i add it, the site takes me out to msg/page that says “the page isn’t working”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

It started as 4
now its 3 or 2.5

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve never understood this issue with TTG - you either like them or you don’t & as with most game developers you may like some of their productions or not! TTG took over with the CSI games (if I got that right) - quite formulaic games to start with but seemed to continue in the same vein. After that perhaps the only other series I played (that I was aware of) was The Wolf Among Us which I loved & thought offered a different & very compelling way of telling a story…...I haven’t had a chance to play much else yet but I guess other games produced by TTG follow a similar ‘format’? & offer a nice alternative to story-telling as opposed to the p & c graphic adventure that I’m certainly very familiar with & still love very much!  Smile

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

chrissie - 27 August 2017 03:44 PM

I haven’t had a chance to play much else yet but I guess other games produced by TTG follow a similar ‘format’? & offer a nice alternative to story-telling as opposed to the p & c graphic adventure that I’m certainly very familiar with & still love very much!  Smile

Telltale made quite a few point and click games pre Jurassic Park.
Bone Ep1 and 2
Sam & Max Season 1-3
Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
Tales of Monkey Island
Wallace and Gromit
etc..

And then they made The Walking Dead. With the overwhelming popularity it received they completely stopped making adventure games and moved on to interactive movie games.

So the “hate” comes from Telltale dropping their old customer base for everyone they got with The Walking Dead.

Telltale as a company has always played it safe, there “reinventing” of the genre never really happened as they (like everything they do) just copied older interactive movie games, and added a little more interactivity.

I did enjoy Wallace and Gromit & Strong Bad, but I didn’t really care for Tales of Monkey Island. More recently I’ve tried to play Minecraft, but I need a little more game in my games.

So for me Telltale isn’t even on my radar anymore.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

SpeedBo - 27 August 2017 04:18 PM

I need a little more game in my games.

Perfect.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

They have some very good moments before and after JP but I feel they’ve been coasting it now and the constant change of teams doesn’t seem like a benefit. Hopefully Wolf season 2 is return to form. Don’t think they had any impact in the revival of adventures but were set a standard in episodic gaming showing it could be done right. The choice/consequences also a big influence even if David Cage did it first, Telltale games were more impactful in mainstream.
I give them a 3.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

nomadsoul - 27 August 2017 03:27 PM

It started as 4
now its 3 or 2.5

I agree with this.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 60

Joined 2017-08-22

PM

nomadsoul - 27 August 2017 03:27 PM

It started as 4
now its 3 or 2.5

Pretty much how i see it aswell. Loved Sam & Max 1-3 and enjoyed Strong Bad and ToMI.
Just can’t seem to get into the newer stuff (minecraft, tales from the borderlands etc.) the same way. Wolf among us was a pretty good time though.

I make stuff:
twitter @Mammothtree

and scream loudly:
https://signorojo.bandcamp.com/

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I haven’t played their new outings (like Batman, Guardians or Minecraft) but I enjoyed their older games. The standouts are The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead Season 1, followed by the Sam and Max trilogy, Tales from the Borderlands, Tales of Monkey Island and Game of Thrones in that order.

As far as impact to the genre, I believe they had a huge impact from spearheading the episodic model, to popularizing Quantic Dream’s formula of Interactive Fiction with QTE’s and choices.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SpeedBo - 27 August 2017 04:18 PM

So the “hate” comes from Telltale dropping their old customer base for everyone they got with The Walking Dead.

that is it, and that is the truth, they betrayed us, or to say it correctly ‘used’ us as a climbing ladder to their success, buying cheap IPs of adventures games (definitely cheaper than Marvels) using LucasArt old team, and using a dedicated cult (us) who were behind the first step of pledging and supporting of the kickstarter phenomena that bloomed by Tim Schafer project/success !
plus the hook the threw into our heads by the promising a new KQs and other stuff and shit, and when they found another direction with much more investing, and earns much better, they dropped us! like an owner of sick dog (who need a little help to be jumping of joy again) who kicks it/him outta his car at desert/deserted road.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

lol Abnaxus,
now i can say i hate my father, thu there is a bright side to this story; that he might leave the dark side even if it was at his last breath .

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Telltale interview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-25-telltale-talks-the-wolf-among-us-return-and-game-of-thrones-being-on-hold

Not much new info, Game of Thrones seems to be on hold until Season2 of Wolf releases at least but this part:

- Fair enough! We’re back to me asking questions - do you want to do a Monkey Island season two?

Job Stauffer: No.

- Why not?

Job Stauffer: Hmm. It is a proud part of Telltale’s legacy, but not really part of Telltale’s future.

- Sam & Max?

Job Stauffer: Same answer.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

wilco - 29 August 2017 06:20 AM

Telltale interview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-25-telltale-talks-the-wolf-among-us-return-and-game-of-thrones-being-on-hold

Not much new info, Game of Thrones seems to be on hold until Season2 of Wolf releases at least but this part:

- Fair enough! We’re back to me asking questions - do you want to do a Monkey Island season two?

Job Stauffer: No.

- Why not?

Job Stauffer: Hmm. It is a proud part of Telltale’s legacy, but not really part of Telltale’s future.

- Sam & Max?

Job Stauffer: Same answer.

In other words - not enough money in it Money Mouth

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

No Tales from Borderlands seemingly despite acclaim and good sales (wasn’t at level of minecraft or TWD)

ok fine, esp if the BL2 writer is not there for QA and support writing, they should not push it

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 29 August 2017 01:01 PM

No Tales from Borderlands seemingly despite acclaim and good sales (wasn’t at level of minecraft or TWD)

ok fine, esp if the BL2 writer is not there for QA and support writing, they should not push it

Not so sure about the sales, this article (referenced in the interview) with former employees is interesting. They say the game was in a rocky place with lack of sales and they wanted the team to move on.
If true it’s really bad form they ditch a series midway and bust out the rest of the episodes fast if it’s not performing well…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top