• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Pyoro-2 - 09 April 2022 03:23 PM

The game does feature a “summary” too, but it’s frankly more like a trailer montage than anything where you’d actually get a solid “so this happened”. It’s definitely a point in the game where less artistry and more plain technicality would have helped, I think.

Agree, no one who hasn’t played the previous games will understand that “previously” video. I wish they had done it more in the style of this recap from the start of Syberia 2, summarizing the first game:

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I disagree. The recaps of S-1 and S-2 won’t set the stage for S-4. The only thing that sets the stage for S-4 is a recap of S-3. The first thing we see of Kate in S-4 is in the mine. And the only way to understand how she got there is to view a recap of S-3. Which was such a horrible game it’s hardly worth replaying in any way shape or form. Just play the game and enjoy it. And, if you feel like going a bit deeper, play S1 and S2.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

There is a recap of all 3 games on the main menu (“previously”). It’s also on YouTube:

But just saying: it’s done in such a fast-paced montage style that this recap won’t make much sense unless you’ve already played those games. I wish it had been done in the narrated style used at the start of Syberia 2, but covering all 3.

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Charophycean - 09 April 2022 06:41 PM

I’ve played 1, 2 and 3 and still don’t get Kate’s backstory and who all the characters are. Reading her diary at the start of the game left me confused. But my memory’s notoriously bad and I haven’t played those games for years.

Syberia was first adapted into the comic book format in 2017, with the release of a two-volume graphic novel published by Belgian publisher Le Lombard.It serves as a prelude to the video game series’ third installment and offers an “alternative version” of the first game’s story, which is centered on Hans Voralberg’s backstory as a child in the distant past, with interspersed scenes depicting Kate Walker in the 2000s.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Snatcher42 - 10 April 2022 12:43 AM

There is a recap of all 3 games on the main menu (“previously”).But just saying: it’s done in such a fast-paced montage style that this recap won’t make much sense unless you’ve already played those games. I wish it had been done in the narrated style used at the start of Syberia 2, but covering all 3.

Totally agree with the summary/recap. Inadequate to tell you how you got from point A, which is Kate’s arrival at Valadelen, to point D, which is the start of the current game.

Most of the missing information seems to be contained in S3. Which I started, but never finished. There is something regarding her involvement with the Youkul, and some legal issue hanging over her head in New York. Neither of which I have a clue about.

Strange situation. Everything about S3 was so bad that it was, for me, un-playable and non-enjoyable. Yet most of the current game’s backstory seems to be contained in S3.

Solution: Play the game for what it is and worry about how we got here at some later date.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

rtrooney - 10 April 2022 08:15 PM

... and some legal issue hanging over her head in New York. Neither of which I have a clue about.

That’s iirc from S1; basically her job was to take over that clockwork factory for some US company and then she kinda didn’t do that (instead hopping on the train for a journey ...), and they are after her for that. Though I don’t remember the details and why there’d be legal problems ... I think she messed with their contract or something?

But, yeah, kinda just shows how useless the summary is.

Also incidentally part of why I didn’t think Syberia 4 belaboring the “Kate character development” point wasn’t so necessary. It’s clear from the first game what kind of person she’s become and frankly you can know that without it getting spelled out for you quite literally before she’s going on another journey. Which in ye olde games she’s already done a bunch of times, and also with consequences ^^; So really to me didn’t feel like it was any sort of new development for her ...

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m guessing, but the legal issues are probably financial. I.e. she misused assets to further her own agenda. Whether that might be spending her expense account on things that didn’t further the client’s objective, or, misusing Voralburg assets, e.g., Oscar, to do things that didn’t accomplish what she was sent to do. There was a clip from game three in the recap where someone in authority threatens to send her home to face charges.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

You really get all the context you need to from playing 1 & 2 because the plot in 3 is just Kate helping the Yukols migrate with wacky subplots along the way. To twist a phrase, it’s an “adventure of the week” kind of plot. And you get enough context about that from the Nick Canton journal entries to know why Kate wound up in jail.

Kate’s trouble with the law is an extension of her legal liabilities from willfully bungling the toy factory deal at the end of S1 and helping the Yukols illegally migrate in S3, plus adventure protagonist property damage. It’s not super deep. Knowing the exact details of S3 wouldn’t change much of your enjoyment of TWB4 imo.

Total Posts: 526

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

PlanetX - 11 April 2022 05:48 PM

You really get all the context you need to from playing 1 & 2 because the plot in 3 is just Kate helping the Yukols migrate with wacky subplots along the way. To twist a phrase, it’s an “adventure of the week” kind of plot. And you get enough context about that from the Nick Canton journal entries to know why Kate wound up in jail.

Nic Canton is just a faceless investigator recently hired by Kate’s firm, right? Or was he/she in previous games?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Charophycean - 11 April 2022 07:55 PM

Nic Canton is just a faceless investigator recently hired by Kate’s firm, right? Or was he/she in previous games?

He’s been in the series since Syberia 2.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Yes, Nick Cannon has been around since S2. Not sure he has a current role, other than facilitating the transfer of the message package to Kate.

FWIW, I’ve not been posting my progress with the game because the current CPT is, seemingly, about to end. And I’m fairly certain S4 will be the next CPT. If that turns out not to be the case, we will continue what already seems to be a flash playthrough here.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

The funny bit is that the detective is basically doing the same thing Kate did; like she made Hans and then Dana her personal quest, Kate herself is now his quest ... it’s quite clear he’s the one who wants to keep going (e: also at least the diaries in this game imply it’s Olivia that employs him (or at least until the phone call), not Kate’s former company).

... little bit implausible that he doesn’t manage to catch up to her while she’s staying in Vaghen, maybe.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Kate’s trouble with the law is an extension of her legal liabilities from willfully bungling the toy factory deal at the end of S1 and helping the Yukols illegally migrate in S3, plus adventure protagonist property damage. It’s not super deep. Knowing the exact details of S3 wouldn’t change much of your enjoyment of TWB4 imo.

I haven’t played S3 and I don’t think I missed anything really.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have arrived at the Mueller store. I don’t know why, but I had a hard time picking up the painting in Kate’s room. Tried different sequences of things. Even looked at a video WT to see what I might be missing, but didn’t see anything I wasn’t doing. Then on the third or fifth time, I picked it up and it was added to inventory. Still don’t have a clue as to why it worked when it didn’t work before.

Am now trying to open the automaton to fit, I hope, with Oscar’s heart. I know the numbers in the puzzle’s combination, but I apparently don’t know the sequence. Trying to do them in the clue’s order doesn’t work. Will work more on this tomorrow.

I’m for about 3.5 hours, but have only completed 17% of the game. I know I’m wasting a lot of time replaying puzzles until I get the solution. As well as clicking on hot spots I’ve already clicked on. But I’m in no hurry. Nor do I intend to set a speed record. Onward.

Side note: When I got on the tram I said “That’s got to be an Oscar look-alike in th driver’s seat and it was.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2022-04-13

PM

Started playing it, I love it so far. Much better than the 3rd episode imo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top