• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkSpeedBoVeoviszobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Myst (Poll) 

Poll: Your Favorite ?
Total Votes: 34
Myst
Riven
Exile
Revelation
End of Ages

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Tim, you should’ve been hired by Valve or S2 Games and do some flame-extinguishing within the Dota/Hon community Tongue I don’t know if you’re familiar with it, but I believe they’re (I should probably say “we’re” since I am part of it, but I do my best to be an exception to the rule) the most hateful, putrid and unreasonable community in existence. In any case, you’d have your work cut out for you^^

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-11-23

PM

Revelation is probably my favorite, i’ll never forget the first time i saw serenia and i see end of ages getting some heat. At first i hated it to, i felt it was too much a radical departure and that holds true graphicly but what allows me to see past that and really enjoy it is the story. Alot of people i imagine would be unaware just how deep the story is as its never spelled out in game, for example your not ‘the stranger’ your actally an established character in the ‘myst-verse’ Dr Richard Watson from the DRC and well i wouldn’t want to spoil the larger story for those that might be interested but it relates entirely to URU live.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 24 November 2012 03:41 PM

anyways what i am trying to say that players who love Riven are those who played it when it was still fresh .
and players who hate riven are players who heard about it very late.
IMO

Not in my case too. I first played Riven around 2002 and loved it. Last time I replayed it was last year and I still find its graphics, soundtrack, riddles, world, superior to almost everything else even by todays standards. Characters and story are also great. What is really true is that new gamers tend to like easier games (Botanicula and TWD come to my mind), and not games with the difficulty of Riven, but that applies to all difficult games and not specifically to Riven. However, in a Myst poll you are probably bound to talk to experienced adventure gamers who know that difficulty is admirable as long as it’s not illogical.
Still underrated. Riven should have been a 6/5 stars in my books. Tongue

TimovieMan - 22 November 2012 02:45 PM

I just plain don’t like this series. It’s just not for me.

Nonsense. You are just still hypnotised by the “Admit it—- you’re having more fun than when you played Myst…” message from TSB.  Wink

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sefir - 26 November 2012 01:36 AM
TimovieMan - 22 November 2012 02:45 PM

I just plain don’t like this series. It’s just not for me.

Nonsense. You are just still hypnotised by the “Admit it—- you’re having more fun than when you played Myst…” message from TSB.

What’s TSB?  Mini Frown

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 26 November 2012 02:40 AM

Nonsense. You are just still hypnotised by the “Admit it—- you’re having more fun than when you played Myst…” message from TSB.

What’s TSB?  Mini Frown

The Space Bar.

There’s a banner in a corridor that shows advertisements and similar messages. One of them was “Admit it—- you’re having more fun than when you played Myst…” which made me chuckle.

It’s true, though. As frustrating as The Space Bar is at certain times, it’s still a lot more fun than Myst. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

Sefir - 22 November 2012 09:04 AM
sarahandus - 22 November 2012 09:00 AM

I hated the brothers so much the mere mention of their names had me foaming at the mouth.

Admit it! One of them got you in the first Myst! Smile

Actually both of them Meh

I always have to see what the alternatives are, unfortunately.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Advie - 24 November 2012 03:41 PM

anyways what i am trying to say that players who love Riven are those who played it when it was still fresh .
and players who hate riven are players who heard about it very late.
IMO

Not in my case too. I first played Riven around 2002 and loved it. Last time I replayed it was last year and I still find its graphics, soundtrack, riddles, world, superior to almost everything else even by todays standards. Characters and story are also great. What is really true is that new gamers tend to like easier games (Botanicula and TWD come to my mind), and not games with the difficulty of Riven, but that applies to all difficult games and not specifically to Riven. However, in a Myst poll you are probably bound to talk to experienced adventure gamers who know that difficulty is admirable as long as it’s not illogical.
Still underrated. Riven should have been a 6/5 stars in my books. Tongue

its awesome that ou even replayed, i couldn’t! it felt strange for me when i tried as if my tolerance has diminished to nothingness and that depressed me so,..to feel what was joy and easy(as matter of speak)before, now became Boring and so difficult .. i really didnt wanna ruin my experience/memory that i had for this Game for 2 decades .

Speaking of Difficulty what comes after Riven, ... Revelation ?

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-11-23

PM

Advie - 26 November 2012 02:40 PM

Speaking of Difficulty what comes after Riven, ... Revelation ?

Exile and what really makes that game phenomenal, apart from the usual, is Brad Dourif’s performance. (most people would reconise him as wormtounge) His acting in Exile is defiantly on of my all time favorite performances of any actor, the heart and soul he clearly puts into it is off the charts.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bliss - 26 November 2012 04:19 PM

Exile and what really makes that game phenomenal, apart from the usual, is Brad Dourif’s performance. (most people would reconise him as wormtounge)

Don’t forget to mention he was nominated for an Oscar for his (debut) role in One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest, that he’s Chucky in the Child’s Play films, and that he was Doc Cochran in the Deadwood series (which is my fave role of his). Plus he can be seen in a whole bunch of bad B-movies, most of the time being the best thing in it.
Very underrated actor.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Dourif’s performance was awesome indeed, but Revelation is A LOT harder than Exile. The spider chair alone is more difficult than the entire Myst 3. You can blame the tips in J’nanin for that…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 26 November 2012 05:38 PM

Dourif’s performance was awesome indeed, but Revelation is A LOT harder than Exile. The spider chair alone is more difficult than the entire Myst 3. You can blame the tips in J’nanin for that…

I can not agree more but lets forget about The spider chair for a sec and remember the most tiresome puzzle in Revelation was that Haven Mangree/camoudile puzzle Confused Sick  Angry  Pan  , this puzzle always remained in my mind as those the open book exams ;you can not even solve it with a walkthough! unless you just worked as a copy-Cat without understanding a word or a meaning of what you are doing !!!

stepping to the third(out of Difficulty).. Riven - Revelation then which would be it Exile or Myst (Keeping EoA out of the equation)

IMO that Exile seemed like the easiest in the series Adventure, so i go for Myst at least out of respect to the originality .

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 26 November 2012 06:09 PM

...remember the most tiresome puzzle in Revelation was that Haven Mangree/camoudile puzzle Confused Sick  Angry  Pan  , this puzzle always remained in my mind as those the open book exams ;you can not even solve it with a walkthough! unless you just worked as a copy-Cat without understanding a word or a meaning of what you are doing !!!

stepping to the third(out of Difficulty).. Riven - Revelation then which would be it Exile or Myst (Keeping EoA out of the equation)

IMO that Exile seemed like the easiest in the series Adventure, so i go for Myst at least out of respect to the originality .

I remember the Mangree/Camoudile puzzle as really tiresome at first, but when I realized what I was trying to achieve, it wasn’t too hard to note down the logical steps needed for the completion of the task. Unfortunately, a lot of mouse reflexes training was needed too…But it also had IMO one the most beautiful rewards of the entire Myst series, with you, walking in the beautiful forest towards the Haven’s ride and the Mangrees around you without fearing you any more, inviting you to follow them all the way, recognizing you as something unique. (the music at this part and Achenar’s journal helped to the heavy feeling too). As for the original Myst’s difficulty, the maze from Spaceship age used to be my nemesis for a long time….Its originality was also a plus on its difficulty level and I agree that it was harder than Exile. At least in my book.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-11-10

PM

I loved Myst when it first came out.  Great game, wonderful atmosphere.

Riven just multiplied that and blew all of my expectations out of the water.  Sometimes I think I prefer the atmosphere in Myst, but Riven takes the cake for the best of the series in my opinion.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Riven was beautiful, and the best one for atmosphere, but the puzzles were often to obtuse for me, and spanned islands separated by disk swapping, which I found to be poor design. I never finished it.

I have the fondest memories of the first, which was still challenging, but the puzzles were at least largely contained within the age you were in, and the ages were pretty small so you could figure it out if you poked around enough.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 25 November 2012 06:46 AM
Zifnab - 23 November 2012 04:09 AM

Well, no wonder you hated it! If you gave me the best movie ever made to watch for the first time on a screen smaller than my palm, I’m sure I’d hate it too!

You need something large enough to soak up the atmosphere and feel like you are there.

Actually, it was on a DSi, which has a slightly larger screen… Innocent

But more importantly: I had already played Myst for several hours back in the 90s, on a PC with a then-larger-than-usual 17” screen, and I hated it then as well. In fact, IIRC, my friend whose copy I borrowed back then didn’t like it either.

I bought the DS-version a few years ago because it was VERY cheap, and because I decided I should give Myst a second chance. Unfortunately, it turned out to be even worse than the original… Tongue

Also, no dissing the Nintendo DS. Some of the best games of recent years were DS games… Wink
But Myst was not one of them. Naughty

I’m not dissing it. But apparently it’s a totally different game, according to this site’s own review. Not exactly flattering, and that’s without mentioning the tiny screen.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top