• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #2: Spider And Web

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yeah, thanks Oscar for all your hard work. It was a much better game than I thought and I’m glad I participated, but I’m afraid I still don’t like the other Plotkins games I gave a try and never finished.

I apologize again for deserting you. If we do another text adventure playthrough in the future, I volunteer to host it, so I have a reason to play ahead.  Shifty Eyed

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Thanks for another great playthrough, Oscar! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 15 September 2016 01:24 PM

Yeah, thanks Oscar for all your hard work. It was a much better game than I thought and I’m glad I participated, but I’m afraid I still don’t like the other Plotkins games I gave a try and never finished.

I apologize again for deserting you. If we do another text adventure playthrough in the future, I volunteer to host it, so I have a reason to play ahead.  Shifty Eyed

What were the others you played? I was thinking of playing more, if they are all as good as this one.

Why don’t you pick the next game and host it? It would be a nice change if I could participate in the challenge this time - not that I don’t enjoy hosting as well.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Thank you very much for this awesome playthrough Oscar, I never played a text adventure before because I`m young and restless and this was a very nice experience. Unfortunately I was a little busy this past days and couldn`t play but it was an interesting reading nonetheless. Also you guys and gals (wilco, Karlok, TimovieMan) are the best Thumbs Up

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 15 September 2016 07:00 PM
Karlok - 15 September 2016 01:24 PM

What were the others you played? I was thinking of playing more, if they are all as good as this one.

Please don’t go by my opinion, it’s far too long ago. I vaguely remember Shade, which is a game without puzzles and I quit the moment I understood what it was about. The most recent one is Hadean Lands, which I only played a little. Although I can see it’s very clever and innovative, I found it hard and a bit boring. You liked Hadean Lands, so just try his other games.   

Why don’t you pick the next game and host it? It would be a nice change if I could participate in the challenge this time - not that I don’t enjoy hosting as well.

I started Violet and liked it, but got distracted. If other people are interested, we could play it together. It’s a one-room game and Violet is your girlfriend. You’re supposed to write your dissertation.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sure, I’d play Violet. After pirates and spies, it would make a nice change of pace. Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Anybody else interested? Or do we want to wait a while before starting another Text Adventure Playthrough?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m game. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Karlok - 14 September 2016 11:52 AM
Oscar - 14 September 2016 11:02 AM

Quite a clever little puzzle, that one. When you find out you’ve been lying, then you realize That isn’t important is a way of saying that is IS important. That’s why you didn’t want to draw the interrogator’s attention to the wiring closet or the vent.

...or the pedestal.

Yes! This was a great realization, very nicely done.

Skimming through the comments in this thread, I read about a wrench. I don’t think I ever picked it up. Was it a red herring?

Another question: was the wrapped package just a ruse to distract the interrogator? Was it even real?

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Vegetable Party - 27 April 2021 01:09 PM

Skimming through the comments in this thread, I read about a wrench. I don’t think I ever picked it up. Was it a red herring?

I haven’t played the game in a long time, but I think the wrench is just there to give the game another excuse to tell you that you can’t bring metal objects into sensitive areas.

Vegetable Party - 27 April 2021 01:09 PM

Another question: was the wrapped package just a ruse to distract the interrogator? Was it even real?

When they bring your tools to the interrogation room and you examine them, you’re told that “There is, of course, no cloth-wrapped package.” Nowadays I take that to mean that it never existed. They knew you had been doing something near that ceiling space, because you left blood stains, so you had to invent a plausible reason for it. Similar to how you had to invent a reason for why you left the lockpick behind.

Though back when I first played it I didn’t fully grasp the implications of the missing package, and had to use a hint.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

eriktorbjorn - 27 April 2021 03:28 PM

When they bring your tools to the interrogation room and you examine them, you’re told that “There is, of course, no cloth-wrapped package.” Nowadays I take that to mean that it never existed. They knew you had been doing something near that ceiling space, because you left blood stains, so you had to invent a plausible reason for it. Similar to how you had to invent a reason for why you left the lockpick behind.

That’s probably the most likely explanation.

I have another theory, it might be far-fetched, but it’s been on my mind since halfway through the game.

There is a mole on their side. The package is not the distraction, we are. We either pretend to move the package around, or make sure it falls into the hands of the defector some other way. We were supposed to end up on the interrogation chair, our escape was meant to attract the attention of all the guards. Or at least, all the guards doing their job, according to the side they’re supposed to be on.

This is how we make a difference.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It’s been a while but I don’t remember any indication of a mole. I agree with erictorbjorn, there never was a package.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I agree it’s probably the more reasonable explanation. Smile

But here’s my train of thought.

The first thing that got me wondering was the odd reaction to our presence from the female guard.

Then, after discovering the events that led to our interrogation, it seemed odd to me that our side would have one person infiltrate this building, in such an obvious way. It seemed like was no way we wouldn’t get caught.

In the final scene I tried a couple of things, but most of the time I didn’t make a difference. Burning the papers seemed optional and as many have pointed out, what would it really accomplish? A minor inconvenience, the research can probably be retrieved.

We don’t leave with the package, so that’s not it. We have no idea where we’re going to be transported, there’s a chance we won’t survive. We might end up in some random location, I have no idea how that would make a difference. It seems pretty much the same as getting caught: even though that would mean death, I don’t think we’re that consequential, considering the odds of our survival and what we (individually) seem to accomplish.

We’re a pawn. But even though a pawn is an easy sacrifice, it’s usually not given up for no reason.

The one thing I can come up with: our escape is meant to be the final delay, the last thing to keep the guards and interrogator busy as someone else finishes the mission.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 29 April 2021 04:13 AM

Then, after discovering the events that led to our interrogation, it seemed odd to me that our side would have one person infiltrate this building, in such an obvious way. It seemed like was no way we wouldn’t get caught.

Everything would have gone smoothly if we hadn’t dropped our lockpick and if a part of our equipment had not been defective. 

The one thing I can come up with: our escape is meant to be the final delay, the last thing to keep the guards and interrogator busy as someone else finishes the mission.

What mission? What is this other guy supposed to do that we are unable to accomplish? No, I think the simplest explanation is the best.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Alright, at the risk of being tedious..

Karlok - 29 April 2021 05:22 AM

What mission?

What mission indeed! From what I can gather, the most prevalent theory says we’re supposed to steal the plans for this teleportation warfare technology, but we make a difference whether we take the plans or not. And even if we do, we have no idea where we end up after teleporting out of the building.

Oscar - 12 September 2016 07:54 PM

A guard enters. She gives you only a brief professional glance. Approaching the desk, she lays out a handful of small items.

The man nods, dismissing her without a thought, and then stares. “This was all? Where’s the package?”

“With’?” asks the guard, puzzled.

“Never mind. Go.” His eyes are blazing on you as the guard slips out the doorway.

If you haven’t picked up a package, why ask about its content? I’d probably respond with: “What package?” It doesn’t prove anything, but I feel this scene shows opportunity. The interrogator dismisses her without a thought, because he’s focused on us.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I’ve figured out the truth, but the ending is open-ended enough to speculate. I have no idea about the author’s intent and I don’t think this theory is better than any other. I just came up with it and thought it’d be fun to discuss.

I’ve been reading through this thread and I kind of wish I’d been there. I missed out on Diego’s theme song! I really enjoyed our CPT of “Slouching Towards Bedlam” as well, I hope there’ll be another one soon. I promise I won’t be pedantic.  Innocent

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top