• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Malware warning

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

While viewing the Adventure game scene… uh, game (continued) thread the past few days, I’m getting a malware warning that is blocking content. For example, the photo in diego’s post on 12/22 doesn’t show up for me at all. Check it out:

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

That looks like a false positive Mike. It appears to be where Diego uploaded up his picture to - (CloudFlareNet in the US) and is perfectly legit.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I don’t think that’s the case (false positive, that is): Diego is notorious for his incessant attempts to blow this place to smithereens.
Blame it on his anarchist upbringing, he can’t help it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Yeah, diego DID mention he likes “to ruin things”, but that doesn’t explain (at least to me) why there is no picture showing where it should be in the 12/22 post—see my first screenshot. And yes, Jabod, the malware warning in my second screenshot is adjacent to his “original” photo, but that’s because I scrolled down before I hit PrtScn, and the warning followed likewise.

For us plebes, what is a “false positive”? Sounds like an oxymoron. Is it Malwarebytes incorrectly detecting something nefarious with the photo that doesn’t appear? And if so, why would it do that?

...besides, I thought false positives only happen with covid and pregnancy tests…

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Mike the Wino - 26 December 2023 11:58 AM

For us plebes, what is a “false positive”? Sounds like an oxymoron. Is it Malwarebytes incorrectly detecting something nefarious with the photo that doesn’t appear? And if so, why would it do that?

...besides, I thought false positives only happen with covid and pregnancy tests…

That’s precisely what a false positive is Mike - Malwarebytes thinks that the link behind the photo is leading to a malicious site but it isn’t. Most security software will throw up a false positive every now and then but I stopped using Malwarebytes some years back (used to use it for cleaning up other people’s PCs/Laptops; it took over from Spyware Doctor which I used to use) when it was throwing out too many false positives for my liking. That’s not to say it’s bad software but, as the saying goes, these things happen.
If others had been posting that they were having the same problem then more cause for concern but Cloudflare, which is where your warning link points to, is a legitimate site.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Thanks for the explanation, Jabod!

IIRC, this is the first time in ages that Malwarebytes blocked something I was viewing here on AG, and it rarely happens elsewhere. I must not navigate to dodgy websites or click on links that might take me there. That’s why I was surprised when it happened here.

I went ahead and allowed cloudfareinsites.com here on AG, but still getting blocked, probably due to a hit from secure.quantserve.com, or maybe easylist? Are these other sites I could safely allow?

EDIT: I checked out quantserve and easylist, and I’m going to continue to have Malwarebytes filter (or utilize) those. However, after I cleared the site cache and reloaded the Adventure game scene… uh, game (continued) thread, this is what popped up again:

So, it appears to be gcdnb.pbrd.co causing the hate and discontent, and it only happens on this thread. What the heck is that?

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Mike the Wino - 26 December 2023 01:25 PM

Adventure game scene… uh, game (continued) thread

That’s a VERY DANGEROUS place. Don’t ever visit it.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

zobraks - 27 December 2023 05:36 AM

That’s a VERY DANGEROUS place. Don’t ever visit it.

Might be even more dangerous if I actually participated vs just seeing what amazing memories of adventure game minutia all of you have. I’m truly always so impressed.

Anyway, zobraks, what site is that you used to verify the safety—or lack thereof—of URLs or links found on the interwebs, in case others (like me!) run across something they care to question down the pike?

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

This what Zobraks would have/did use Mike.

https://www.emailveritas.com/url-checker-results

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

That’s the one.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I missed this thread until Jabod gave me a heads-up. While it’s true that New Year is getting close, and a little firework wouldn’t hurt, or at least a firecracker or exploding cigar in Zobraks’ mouth:

(He-He-He-He!!!)

I did not intend to blow this place up (hey, I love this place!), the picture was uploaded on a regular image upload website https://pasteboard.co/ , it’s even in the first page of Google results when looking for image upload services, so I’m sure it’s fine.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Ouch!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

diego - 28 December 2023 07:06 AM

...the picture was uploaded on a regular image upload website https://pasteboard.co/ , it’s even in the first page of Google results when looking for image upload services, so I’m sure it’s fine.

And it probably is fine. I was just curious why I keep getting the malware warning whenever I try to view this thread. As mentioned earlier, I don’t recall it happening here on AG prior to this. No big deal, really, and jabod and zobraks have helped alleviate my angst with their replies.

I’m confident, diego, that you would never do anything to intentionally inflict chaos on this forum (no matter what zobraks says!  Laughing ), so please don’t take my question as an accusation. I’ll simply just have to chalk it up to Malwarebytes being a little overzealous in this case!

Cheers!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top