• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

SpaceVenture (The Two Guys from Andromeda) 

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Randwulf83 - 18 September 2022 12:40 AM

OK, the game is starting to grow on me, but I can’t figure out how to combine objects in the inventory. Trying to solve the socket puzzle in the steam room, and nothing works. Can someone explain the puzzle to me?

Yup, the inventory isn’t very intuitive to use.
First, you select Rooter’s head. Then you DRAG and DROP the socket to the head on the left side of the inventory.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

I got all the sockets but none of them seem to work? Am I missing something? Spoilers welcome☺️

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There are 6 sockets overall you need. 3 are in the box, one is one the drill and one behind the vice which you need to open with the small iron rod. If you have all those, you should be able to open stuff up.

I do believe there are some bugs in these situations. At times, you can have the close-up open and use the Rooters head, at times, you need to have the closeup closed and just use Rooters head on the object you want to open.

The hotspot detection is somewhat broken throughout the game, so try and try again.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Usually when a game has been delayed so long, it ends up with crushing hype and expectations, and the game always disappoints. DNF, Cyberpunk, etc. But I find the opposite is sort of true here. I had so long given up hope and hype that I’m having a good time with this game. It’s buggy and unfinished but the writing is decent and the voice acting is good and it tickles the nostalgia that I wanted it to.

I really like the announcer, considering Gary Owens is no longer with us. I do find it really weird how inconsistently he is used though, like we never hear him at all in the introduction or opening minutes and then all of a sudden he’s there like wtf.

Getting the hang of the interface and some of the mechanics was unintuitive, but it gets better as you go and get used to its conventions.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

I’ve played a bit of it now, so far I’ve enjoyed it. There are some bugs, mostly related to the GUI. The places where I got stuck were from a new feature that I didn’t know about.
But overall the humor and feel of the game is very in-line with Space Quest.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, it definitely has the Space Quest feel. The writing is mostly solid and the humour works.

The use of the narrator is indeed a bit odd. I guess they recorded all there was for him, but didn’t have more money to do any additional material after a while. I have a feeling some of the dialogue was recorded before the script was 100% done and they just kind of assumed they’d be able to record more lines when needed, but then the project went way, way over the schedule and in the end, there was no more money left.

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

tomimt - 18 September 2022 05:20 AM

There are 6 sockets overall you need. 3 are in the box, one is one the drill and one behind the vice which you need to open with the small iron rod. If you have all those, you should be able to open stuff up.

I do believe there are some bugs in these situations. At times, you can have the close-up open and use the Rooters head, at times, you need to have the closeup closed and just use Rooters head on the object you want to open.

The hotspot detection is somewhat broken throughout the game, so try and try again.

OK, I got it to work. Stuck on another socket puzzle (elevator) and can’t tell if it’s because of a bug or if I’m missing something. Someone mentioned to me the original email we got with the link to download the game also had a link to a walkthrough? I didn’t get the initial email (got the follow-up one), so could anyone share the walkthrough link? I need something to show me if a puzzle isn’t working due to bugs.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

tomimt - 18 September 2022 02:24 PM

Here’s the official walkthrough
http://guysfromandromeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/SpaceVenture_Walkthrough.pdf

Thanks! Yup, elevator puzzle is broken. Clicking Rooter’s head with the socket used in the steam corridor does nothing, not even elicit a response from Ace.

UPDATE: Never mind, I was doing it wrong😂

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finally managed to finish the game. What a ride, both gameplay- and bugs-wise! Had to replay almost every section because of them, felt like walking through a minefield. It even froze during the bonus post-credit part))

But rather than that it was funny, epic, well-written, imaginitive, a worthy successor to the Space Quest saga. Gets better and better once you leave the initial bland location and start fixing your ship to travel between various planets doing your plumber job and saving the galaxy. Just remember to enter the ship while you are fixing it, or the game will break itself Smile

They even included a space sim of sorts and managed to squeeze some jokes there too. Overall I think they made good use of their 3D engine while designing puzzles, it really adds a new dimention to the old formula (unlike that pseudo 3D maze from SQ5). It just looks very dated and unpolished, like they found original assets from Space Quest 7 and continued from then on.

Really enjoyed local humour, more than in Return to Monkey Island so far. A mix of oldschool sarcasm and parodies with satire on modern entertainment industry, Facebook in particular as it’s part of the main plot. You can just lie down on your bed (like Ace does) and listen to half an hour of recorded parodies on TV shows and ads, very funny stuff. Glad they didn’t lose their touch (Josh Mandel was part of the writing team too).

I didn’t expect anything from it, but it ended as my favourite 2022 adventure (so far). Totally broken and unintuitive, probably doomed to be a spacegoat for many gamers & reviewers, but it’s this one game that brought my 1990s back - and fighting bugs was part of them too. I can only hope they will fix and update it before releasing to the public, I will gladly replay it. 4/5 stars from me.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yip, there’s a lot I like about SV. The writing is good and the humour does work. If something manages to make me laugh out loud, then, it’s solid in my book.

There’s a reason why I mentioned rebuilding the game in something like Adventure Creator. The current technical status of the game is far from desireable and in the end, like Corey Cole said in the SV Kickstarter page, it all seems to point on the architechture being a mess. And in that case, the best thing would be to just trash all and start over.

In the case of SV, they wouldn’t really lose anything of importance in terms of functionality with the switch. I’m not saying it would be a quick fix, but it actually might be cheaper than trying to fix what they have now.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I agree, moving to a fully functional Unity-based engine seems like an obvious solution. I think some fans would gladly help, like the team behind Space Quest: Incinerations - one of the most impressive fan games made with nothing but AGS engine, and that was 10 years ago. Modern engines offer so much more. And some details, like the 3D space sim, could be easily cut out or reworked into something simplier, I doubt it will be missed.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 21 September 2022 02:19 AM

it all seems to point on the architechture being a mess. And in that case, the best thing would be to just trash all and start over.

In the case of SV, they wouldn’t really lose anything of importance in terms of functionality with the switch. I’m not saying it would be a quick fix, but it actually might be cheaper than trying to fix what they have now.

An interesting idea, but haven’t they been working on the technical stuff for a decade now?

If they trash everything and start all over,
1) would they have any money left to even buy the necessary software tools
2) whatever (little) technical knowledge has cumulated so far, would be gone instantly.

So what would they be left with?
A bunch of assets, an idea how to put them together, with no resources or knowledge to do so?

Moving to a new engine can work nicely for big companies with full-time programmers, but I don’t have faith that it would do much good in this case. At least they should have made the move years ago, and not after the game has been “released”.

Doom - 21 September 2022 05:44 AM

I agree, moving to a fully functional Unity-based engine seems like an obvious solution. I think some fans would gladly help, like the team behind Space Quest: Incinerations - one of the most impressive fan games made with nothing but AGS engine, and that was 10 years ago.

Isn’t SpaceVenture based on 3D assets?

I don’t think any experience about a 2D game from a decade ago is going to do much good there. In fact, the only connection there seems to be Space Quest, and that’s not much to build on.

Beyond that, I’m sure there are some people in the modding circles who could at least create some hacks to make the game a bit better, like they do with other games. But is SpaceVenture motivating enough for them, I don’t necessarily think so.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

GateKeeper - 21 September 2022 06:19 AM

interesting idea, but haven’t they been working on the technical stuff for a decade now?

If they trash everything and start all over,
1) would they have any money left to even buy the necessary software tools
2) whatever (little) technical knowledge has cumulated so far, would be gone instantly.

So what would they be left with?
A bunch of assets, an idea how to put them together, with no resources or knowledge to do so?

Moving to a new engine can work nicely for big companies with full-time programmers, but I don’t have faith that it would do much good in this case. At least they should have made the move years ago, and not after the game has been “released”.

Well, Adventure Creator one time license is 71 euros, so as far full fledged adventure kits go, it’s cheap as dirt. And if you are happy with basic functionalities, then it’s more or less a code free development environment. 
(I did this in a weekend, no coding on the basic game functions needed

)

Sometimes in software production you just need to acknowledge if the work you’ve done is wasted or not. Bad code tuned for 10 years is still bad code and sometimes, it’s for the best to just redo it all even if it means throwing away all you’ve done. And in that case, you have to as, does it make sense to redo it or see if there’s another solution that might be cheaper.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 21 September 2022 07:08 AM

Well, Adventure Creator one time license is 71 euros, so as far full fledged adventure kits go, it’s cheap as dirt.

Yes, although that multiplies fast.
Admittedly I haven’t checked the legal stuff for the software you are talking about, but usually if there are 10 people doing something, you also need 10 licenses, or a special corporate license.

And there can be some differences in the fees whether it’s for hobbyist or professional purposes. In the case of Visionaire, you also need to pay a certain fee if you make a mobile version of the game, which I never quite understood, but that’s how their pricing goes.

The last time they had any major income was when the Kickstarter ran (I don’t believe that minigame they released few years ago made much in sales).

Hope they can think of something.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top