• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Resonance

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Castledoque - 23 June 2012 06:51 AM
After a brisk nap - 23 June 2012 06:25 AM

I can’t think of much worth discussing.

Actually I think there’s quite a lot worth discussing about this particular game both in terms of plot and game mechanics, but the problem is how to do it without giving away massive spoilers.

Spoiler tags.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

You’re right, there are a lot of interesting aspects of the game. I just don’t really feel like talking about it, I suppose. I’m happy thinking it through on my own. But if you ever do a group playthrough of it I would be interested in taking part.

Another thing is that it’s easier to criticize than to offer a reasoned, persuasive positive analysis, and I liked Resonance enough that I don’t want to start nitpicking little things it could have done better.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Pre-ordered a boxed version of this game, haven’t received my download link, Steam link is not available to the 25th. Is anyone else experiencing this bullshit?

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2009-04-27

PM

Hey thejobloshow,

Yeah, unfortunately this has happened a few times.
You might want to head over to the Wadjet Eye Forum and check this thread. Contact Dave Gilbert, tell him your problem and forward the order mail.
He might be able to provide you with a Steam key as well if you like (Resonance just can’t be bought off Steam right now, but you can get it anyway).

In general, for any technical support it’s better if you guys head over to the Wadjet Eye Forum. There’re many threads about problems people’ve had and that have been solved hence.

For anyone having played the DEMO and not wanting to repeat this section in the FULL game: [Demo savegames are NOT compatible with full version]

Wadjet Eye provided a savegame right before the DEMO ends for the FULL GAME. [Link is in Post #7 by Dave Gilbert]

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Thank you. I’m getting all excited for playing this game after seeing this video;

I don’t want to be left out of the discussion. Smile

Joined 2009-04-27

PM

Haha, no one gets left out, or behind! Smile

Just quickly finish it (!) ...and, for heaven’s sake, take your time! Tongue

[Darn, I’m so impatient to hear some impressions from you guy’s when you’ve finished Resonance!] *very soon* *very soon* *tramponline trails off, skipping and chanting…1

1 Sorry about that! Beta-testing a game always leaves me somewhere between a state of ‘giddy little girl’ and ‘mental capability of a stone’

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-12-19

PM

Where can I buy a box version of this game? and how much is it? I don’t get a check for two weeks because of 1 week summer layoff Embarassed

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Squirlygirl - 24 June 2012 02:20 PM

Where can I buy a box version of this game? and how much is it? I don’t get a check for two weeks because of 1 week summer layoff Embarassed

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/resonance-order.html

USD $24.99 including free worldwide shipping. But the boxed version will only be offered through July 25, after that it’s download only.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

i’m enjoying this so far. I just completed the wiring puzzle only for Ed to remark “i don’t know why i did that, i could have just gone through the main entrance” lol but at least i did it. Was quite a clever puzzle and didn’t take me too long once i figured out what was going on with the lights.

I’m currently stuck trying to get a FTTN number for Morales, have been to every location with every character and can’t get anything to happen.. been thinking perhaps i need to get something out of the mainframe at the research lab or out of the drawers in the police station, but can’t figure out how..

don’t want a solution though, i’ll figure it out eventually..

Joined 2009-04-27

PM

Nice one, marcd! It’s great to see a fellow adventure gamer who appreciates a challenge.

Only a subtle nudge: You have seen FTTN(s) before!

Out of interest, for those of you who went through the dream maze already:
Did you realize that the LTM “Hansel & Gretel” was a subtle hint aside from just being a memory.
And that you could actually use the “jar with pesos” like ‘breadcrumbs’ to mark your way?

Resonance contains loads of stuff like that. But easy to miss!

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

i wondered what everyone was on about with the maze, didn’t realise you meant Anna’s dream. That took me all of 5 minutes, just by choosing random directions! I got 3 dream fragments but didn’t get the achievement for it, so don’t know if there were more..

And i figured out the FTTN thing a few minutes after posting on here! I think i gave myself a mental nudge by actually writing out my ideas and using the principal of occam’s razor, i stopped trying to be clever and tried the most obvious thing and it worked!

Sort of blasted through the rest of the game after that, not really getting stuck on anything. I’m up to a bit where i have to make an important phone call, but it was 3am so i decided to wait until after i’d slept to continue!

edit: and now i’ve completed it Smile Looks like there could be a few different endings but i think mine was probably the best of them.. only 310 out of 340 points though, i guess a lot of points are for doing things non essential to the game!

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

I’d love to talk more about the game, which is my favorite since Gemini Rue (I haven’t decided which one I like better)

I have the same dilemma - ‘Resonance’ had better plotting/puzzles/art but ‘Gemini Rue’ had better music/characters/theme.  Have to call it a draw!

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

I too had preordered the game but had no download links sent to me…..i just sent an email to the Dave and he immediately sent me links and a Steam key.

Like tramponline said they are very cooperative so don’t hesitate to head over to their forums.

The game is very good.Good length.Hope you guys like it.

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

looking back on Resonance a day after playing it, one thing did bug me about the game, which was how the characters all instantly knew things that one of the other characters had discovered. For instance i could find out a password with one character one place on the map then enter it with another who’s somewhere else, or find out about an item i needed and then fetch that item with a character who wasn’t in the room when i found out about it in the first place.

Only a minor gripe and i guess the alternative was to have to long term memory converse with a character every time you solve a puzzle, so perhaps this was the only way to go with it..

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Hey everybody!  I’m glad you’re all enjoying the game!  I was super excited to see the amazing review from AdventureGamers!  I was so nervous on launch day, but after I saw that review, I calmed way down.

I just wanted to drop a few notes here for those interested, because I love talking about these kinds of details and there’s already lots of really good discussion of the game in this thread!  Long post ahead!

Regarding the maze, this was kind of a challenge to myself.  I know that mazes are almost universally reviled among adventure gamers, so I thought to myself, “Challenge accepted!”  So, I set out to make one that I would enjoy.  The rules as I defined them:
1) Optional.  You can skip the maze at any time by forcing yourself to wake up.
2) Top-down viewpoint.  Looking at the maze from a perspective camera, either first-person like 7th Guest or third-person like Inherit the Earth, is really confusing when the camera changes viewpoints each time you go around a corner.  Top-down addresses this issue.
3) Has a legitimate reason to exist in the story.  Anna’s dreams are a figurative maze of childhood fears and suppressed memories.  Making them a literal maze helps express that.
4) Has some strategy to solving them other than exhaustive search.  You can drop coins along the way, marking your path like Hansel and Gretel!  The third level of maze has at least one loop in it, so you may not be able to solve it just by following one wall.
5) Well rewarded for solving the maze.  On each floor, you can unlock an optional memory which gives Anna’s past a little more depth.  If you collect each memory and fall down the last chute, you will be rewarded with an achievement.  And if you have opened Morales’ journal without breaking it, you will also get a fourth memory which gives you half of the symbols needed to decode the journal!

[...] the degree of detail and polish is absolutely mind-blowing. There’s a ton of effects animation (clouds drifting, smoke blowing, birds flying, cars driving, lights flickering, reflections, etc.), a half-dozen functional in-game computer interfaces, and plenty of mini-games and logic puzzles, each one completely unique. I mean, just that locker key puzzle must have been a ton of work to implement in AGS. Did Vince or Janet write their own physics engine, or what?

I hoped these details would help make the game something special!  I spent a lot of time on all the effects and especially on the more tactile interaction scenes!  That locker key puzzle was an “if we have time” puzzle and I’m really glad we had time!  It took me several evenings of programming to make that work!  I documented some of it’s creation here: ( http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21113525 ).  The randomized, rotating maze was definitely the hardest to program though, and that was done over three years ago!

[...]when you die, the game actually rewinds to let you try again. [...](I seem to recall from the developer diaries that this mechanic was originally intended as a bigger part of the game, but in the final version it’s just a neat bit of eyecandy.)

Yeah, this was a very late-game change for us.  Originally the points maxed out at 99 (though you could get many more than that, they just wouldn’t add to the total if you were already at 99) and were expended to rewind the game.  If you run out of points, it’s game over.  It just didn’t work very well as a mechanic and seemed better to just give the player infinite rewinds.  Janet really wanted to keep the points, however, so we turned the counter into a three-digit counter and made the points go up only. 

The rewind is supposed to relate to the theme of fate/predetermination that you talk to an important figure about later in the game, but that theme was also scaled back a bit from my original designs to be more of a detail, being mostly relegated to some optional dialog in the final game.  So, the rewinding remains as a cool eye candy and as a courtesy to the player who may not be saving in every room of the game. Smile

marcd2011 - 25 June 2012 06:22 PM

looking back on Resonance a day after playing it, one thing did bug me about the game, which was how the characters all instantly knew things that one of the other characters had discovered. For instance i could find out a password with one character one place on the map then enter it with another who’s somewhere else, or find out about an item i needed and then fetch that item with a character who wasn’t in the room when i found out about it in the first place.

Only a minor gripe and i guess the alternative was to have to long term memory converse with a character every time you solve a puzzle, so perhaps this was the only way to go with it..

Trust me, I thought about this! Grin But considering all the reviews out there who found it super annoying to have to backtrack to something to add it to your STM, or having to walk to another character to share an inventory item with them (I guess the alternative would be a magical inventory that all characters share?), I can’t imagine how much flack I’d catch if I made the characters need to explicitly give information from one character to another in order to solve password or code puzzles when the player already knows the solution! But yeah, I definitely considered this!

One place where something similar comes up is when Bennet needs to know that Tortoise wants the will, so that Bennet can go and ask for the will at the City Archive.  It’s a really tricky balance!

Thanks again, everyone!  Let me know if you have any questions I can answer!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top