• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Jack Keane 2, Secret Files 3… sequels getting worse?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sorry Advie, I seem to (unintentionally) always steal your thread ideas. Grin

However, I really wanted to discuss if you think recent sequels are noticeably weaker and more shallow than usual.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I liked Ace Attorney 3 better than the first two.

I liked ‘The Last Window’ better than Hotel Dusk

I liked ‘Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life’ better than the first one.

I liked Dark Seed 2 better than Dark Seed…...

I could go on and on…...

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’d personally say Simon the Sorceror 2 is superior to the original, but I guess that’s up for debate. It went downhill from then on though - and that’s hardly up for debate Wink

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

He did say recent sequels…

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

I see a lot of generalisation here. Every game is different case. Variables are different, like extremely important budgets for time and money, which can help to bring in talent, give more polish etc. SF3 is example of that.

Other than that its always hard to find the balance between new and old (why 1st game was liked).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

There are still recent examples that disprove the theory:

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward is supposedly better than 999.
All Professor Layton games are of the same quality.
Last Window (which is a 2010 game) was more or less equal in quality to Hotel Dusk, if not slightly better.
Some think Testament of Sherlock Holmes is one of the better SH games, but it’s up for debate.

Are you also already questioning Tex 6 and Broken Sword 5??? Tongue

With the amount of non-sequels coming out - truly original games - why worry about sequels, though?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 24 January 2013 06:38 AM

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward, Professor Layton games, Last Window

On your hobby-horse again? Grin (just kidding Tongue DS games ARE slightly unappreciated).

But let me put it this way: There’re 9 sequels in top 13, and I’m sure there’s about 30% sequels in Top 100. Some newer games managed to grab the spot (Machinarium, BOUT) in the list, but can you think of a recent sequel (apart from Portal 2) that is able to do that?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Blah - 24 January 2013 05:27 AM

He did say recent sequels…

I guess it was more in response to Kurunfinwe clearly badmouthing the greatness of Simon the Sorcerer 2!  Cool

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Damn. Why didn’t I see this last night when I ordered Jack Keane 2 lol. Ah well I’m sure it’s still good. Gotta support small adventure developers either way.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 24 January 2013 12:23 PM

Damn. Why didn’t I see this last night when I ordered Jack Keane 2 lol. Ah well I’m sure it’s still good. Gotta support small adventure developers either way.

Adventure Corner gave JK2 78% (JK1 8.3 out of 10). Adventure-Treff gave JK2 77% (JK1 86%).
Yes, scores are a bit lower, but I believe JK2 would be good anyway. Not like Kasper, I liked JK1 (it may be different today, but back then it was a game which brought me back to adventues) and expect similar fun adventure. I just hope the ENG localisation will be good (not so many lost in translation jokes, good voiceovers).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top