• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Critter Chronicles.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The long awaited English version of The Critter Chronicles, prequel to the wonderful Book of Unwritten Tales, is finally out! Downloading mine now from adventureshop. Can’t wait to get started! Grin

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I still need to finish the first one.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

Downloaded (after buying of course) both this and Primordia today. I haven’t been able to make a choice yet as to which I want to play first. 

Quite a few adventure releases recently, and I’m not starved for choice.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-02-19

PM

Played the German version and thought it sucked big time. Sadly, I don’t think it was just the voice acting. Meh

TBoUT was fantastic, by the way.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

miyagiCE - 05 December 2012 04:13 PM

Played the German version and thought it sucked big time. Sadly, I don’t think it was just the voice acting. Meh

Could you elaborate a bit on this? How was it not up to par with TBOUT? I normally don’t pay much attention to comments simply stating that something “sucks”, but the fact that you liked TBOUT and not this one had me worried.

Primate Ryan - 05 December 2012 03:13 PM

Quite a few adventure releases recently, and I’m not starved for choice.

I just noticed that Haunted’s been released today aswell. Today turned out to be a good day to be an adventurer! I think I’ll wait till they get it at adventureshop, and hope that The Critter Chronocles lasts till then Smile

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Wow. I just bought this game today and already finished it(5+ hours). Too short and too easy for the price imho. I didn’t even need a walkthrough. But it was nice while it lasted I guess.

Joined 2011-02-19

PM

Dag - 05 December 2012 04:57 PM

Could you elaborate a bit on this? How was it not up to par with TBOUT? I normally don’t pay much attention to comments simply stating that something “sucks”, but the fact that you liked TBOUT and not this one had me worried.

Well,
for one thing the game focuses on Nate and the Critter, my two least favorite characters from the original. The little guy and the elven girl don’t even have cameo appearances, if I remember correctly (though I must admit, it has been a while and my memory is patchy).

Where TBoUT had my sides hurting with laughter, TCC had me cringing and rolling my eyes. The jokes were just lame and uninspired—I guess the devs had already burned through every possible pop culture reference by the end of TBoUT.

The puzzles were expectedly easy and the game’s length didn’t help either (though in this case, I guess I should actually be thankful for its brevity).

Finally, a big turn off for me personally was the voice work. I had played the English version of TBoUT and thought it was spot on; the German version of TCC is just sad… (Native speaker of German here, by the way). Before you ask, nah, I didn’t bother looking at the German dub of TBoUT.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hehe okay Smile Wilbur was my favourite character from TBOUT, so I guess I agree that it’s a shame that this game isn’t about him. Telling a joke in an uninspired, emotionless voice would ruin the best of jokes though, so I’m suspecting that the bad German voice-work may have ruined your experience more than you’re letting on. I desperately WANT this game to be good, you see Tongue

Joined 2011-02-19

PM

Dag - 05 December 2012 05:43 PM

I desperately WANT this game to be good, you see Tongue

Hah, so did I. But do keep us posted once you make some headway into the game. It’d be interesting to read what others think about it.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Wow… stop it, game producers! Yes, we got it, adventure games have resurged, but seriously - when are we going to play all this? Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hehe, keep’em coming I say! I haven’t been this busy in years, and I like it! Grin

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I can’t keep up anymore. Too many games. But I want to play this!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The puzzles in BOUT were such a chore. The story was fun and the jokes were usually funny, but I got the impression the way they went about making the game was to pen a story first, and then fill it with obstacles to be passed by collecting whatever the game lets you collect, combining whatever the game lets you combine and then using your remaining inventory items on whatever the game decides they should be used on. I always wanted to move the game along but found myself faced with the task of finding an object to combine with something else to fix a random item that was only there in the first place to block my progress.

If Critter Chronicles is no better, I doubt I’ll like it much without a good story like BOUT’s. The fact it has “normal” and “hard” difficulty levels confirms the puzzles aren’t really integrated much at all.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Oscar - 07 December 2012 08:09 AM

The fact it has “normal” and “hard” difficulty levels confirms the puzzles aren’t really integrated much at all.

Curse of Monkey Island also has “normal” and “hard” settings, I don’t understand how that’s proof that the puzzles arent’t integrated to the story. I never played the easy version of Curse, but as I understand, the puzzles are pretty much the same, but have more steps to them in the hard version. I guess it’s the same for Chritter Chronicles, but I suppose I’ll never find out, cause I’ll prolly never play the easy version here either.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dag - 07 December 2012 09:53 AM
Oscar - 07 December 2012 08:09 AM

The fact it has “normal” and “hard” difficulty levels confirms the puzzles aren’t really integrated much at all.

Curse of Monkey Island also has “normal” and “hard” settings, I don’t understand how that’s proof that the puzzles arent’t integrated to the story.

I thought that was obvious. Changing the puzzles to make the game harder or easier says to me the way the game was originally constructed doesn’t really matter. The story should be written with the puzzles in mind, not as a story + puzzles.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

It’s not at all obvious to me atleast. To me it sounds like you are saying that decreasing or increasing the difficulty of a puzzle is entirely impossible unless the puzzle itself has absolutely no relevance to the story.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top