• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabeGabrielLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GRUNND | dark mystery and SciFi fusion | Nov2021 - ON KICKSTARTER!!!

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

Oh, sthap, DCast!
But, seriously, thank you.

And, I def get the vibe and stance on not liking that some devs just posting their game updates and that’s it. Just wanted to say, that there could be many reasons for that and to throw everyone into one basket wouldn’t be the good thing.

//Sheesh, my inner demon wants to derail this conversation with some blasphemy, since Jesus was mentioned, hahah…//

Probably, the thread for all the Kickstarters wouldn’t really work - I would still love to have my private space for GRUNND, for example. What could work - separate sub-forum. I have now idea about this forum’s [or any] architecture, so I do not know how easy or not it’s possible to move existing threads to new forum. Some forums are complicated AF as far as I know.

- - - - -

OH, KILL ME, but I really want to make this update, so - HA! - deal with it!

I already mentioned the Collector’s Edition. If one doesn’t want to resort to cheap stuff from your local “advertising agency”, like printed shirts, cups and boxes, it is a completely different ballpark. Luckily… Luckily two things:
One - I had a great idea!
Two - I know amazing people!
So! After some brainstorming I contacted a friend of mine, who is just amazingly amazing sculptor. We brainstormed some more. And now I can announce, in this particular time without sketches and complete edition’s contents, that we will have a legit, beautiful statuette of our Hero. And not small at that! Obviously, this will go along with handcrafted packaging and other goodies.
Little bit about the artist - her name is Inese Valtere. She is accomplished sculptor, who works with metal, wood, ice and sand. Due to her work she is traveling a lot and at this point I have caught her in Germany actually. Countless awards and mind-bending exhibitions - that’s her style.

Later this week we will have sketches ready, as well as complete contents of Collector’s Edition. Stay Tuned!

OH, and IF you have not backet us yet - please consider do so!!
tinyurl.com/GRUNNDkst

GRUNND.COM
A game, occasional podcast.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

That looks incredible. Way to spark some curiosity!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Olafs_GRUNND - 09 November 2021 04:54 AM

Probably, the thread for all the Kickstarters wouldn’t really work - I would still love to have my private space for GRUNND, for example. What could work - separate sub-forum. I have now idea about this forum’s [or any] architecture, so I do not know how easy or not it’s possible to move existing threads to new forum. Some forums are complicated AF as far as I know.

It definitely won’t work, and neither will a separate section of the forums - most people will simply ignore it, like some giant marketplace they didn’t ask for, while devs will keep posting their games here on the main forums, either being unaware of their “special place” or, most likely, for the very same reason - to be heard.

Don’t want to sound like a dev’s advocate, it is true that a post about a new project by a forum regular is more likely to attract my attention than a post from a developer new to the forums, even if it consists of just a couple of sentenses and a link. Yet I’d still like to be able to learn about new projects here in general discussion (rarely visit other forum sections anyway) and then make up my own mind on whether to follow the updates or ignore the project. Not reading a thread you don’t want to is easy, and everyone will be left happy.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

So! After some brainstorming I contacted a friend of mine, who is just amazingly amazing sculptor. We brainstormed some more. And now I can announce, in this particular time without sketches and complete edition’s contents, that we will have a legit, beautiful statuette of our Hero. And not small at that! Obviously, this will go along with handcrafted packaging and other goodies.
Little bit about the artist - her name is Inese Valtere. She is accomplished sculptor, who works with metal, wood, ice and sand. Due to her work she is traveling a lot and at this point I have caught her in Germany actually. Countless awards and mind-bending exhibitions - that’s her style.

Yes, that’s a really cool idea!  Thumbs Up

PC means personal computer

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

Was smoking couple nights ago [by the way, here is the pic I took between puffs] and was just thinking - damn, it would be so beautiful to make your game and not worry about bills, food and possible cost of creating, for example, a Collector’s Edition [within reason and budget, of course]. To be able to pay everyone right away.

To sit on needles all the time, worrying about next phone bill, spamming about Kickstarter just within those limits to not overstep your boundaries where people starting to call you out Smile

One can dream, heh.

And must!

Because without dreams there won’t be a lot of fine stuff.

Moar blue skies and golden sunshine [which is totally not the thing GRUNND is about though] Grin

GRUNND.COM

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Oh, sthap, DCast!

And, I def get the vibe and stance on not liking that some devs just posting their game updates and that’s it. Just wanted to say, that there could be many reasons for that and to throw everyone into one basket wouldn’t be the good thing.

I don’t think anyone is talking about reasons they are not posting. All developers who aren’t posting anything but the updates to their own games are in “developers who aren’t posting anything but the updates to their own games” basket - there’s no way around it because there’s noting else that forum members can go off on. Now if they would speculate on those reasons or talk a bit more about “human being under the dev’s name” - that would be precisely the kind of engagement I, personally, mean. Again, if there’s no interaction besides those one-sided updates, it is nothing but the string of ads.

I work in film, and if there’s another industry full of “passion projects” it’s it. Many people pour out their hearts, time, energy and very little money they have into making something only they believe in. Sometimes it’s pretty bad, sometimes it’s awesome, but plenty of people in indie film-making (and everyone’s momma) are driven by those projects.
I’m around them all the time, and I can tell you that if a guy walks in and he talks about his project this and his project that, and how great he is or how much he’s done - very few people would want to hear about it. However,if a guy walks in and starts talking about his project and then switches off to classic cinema, his love for early horror or discussing the merits of D. Lynch movies - well, here he will have a whole room full of passionate participants and will most likely end up with people who would be willing to come through and lend their skills/knowledge in their respective departments for free. I’ve done this numerous times. I understand that I speak from a making of a project point of view, but it overlays with how I follow/get interested in things I’m on a consumer side of. If there’s nothing but self-promotion, I usually fail to be engaged.

By the way - Those were some awesome pictures and a unique idea. I can’t imagine what it’s like - to make something out of ice. That looks like one adventurous life of one bad-ass artist. I’d love to see the sketches.

Veovis - 09 November 2021 02:57 AM

I suggested a separate forum section for game and kickstarter announcements some time ago, when I was a bit annoyed about the guy behind The Secret of Jesus only posting in his own thread and about Steam sales of his own game. No one seemed to like the idea back then though.

What were the reasons?

Doom - 09 November 2021 07:57 AM

Don’t want to sound like a dev’s advocate, it is true that a post about a new project by a forum regular is more likely to attract my attention than a post from a developer new to the forums, even if it consists of just a couple of sentenses and a link. Yet I’d still like to be able to learn about new projects here in general discussion (rarely visit other forum sections anyway) and then make up my own mind on whether to follow the updates or ignore the project. Not reading a thread you don’t want to is easy, and everyone will be left happy.

Reading a thread only you want to read is also easy. Kind of like people who want to read/write about music. They go to that forum subtopic and do that without making everyone on the main page click through the thread they didn’t need/want to see, to get rid of yellow envelopes taking space in the upper part. Also having a special sub-forum doesn’t take away you making up your on mind on whether to follow the game or not - you’d still be doing it, of course.

I think KS and new game announcements are so numerous now that they are becoming its own thing at this point. I don’t care for them in the main thread, but if i do want to go over new games specifically - i can browse that sub-forum just for that reason. Like you put it, it is like browsing a marketplace - it’s an activity on its own, with daily changes and new constant additions. If anything, that will make me stop by a few times a month on purpose to see what new stuff is being offered. I already check across several sources for upcoming games,and it would be a great way to get updates/news in one place instead of losing threads of developers who post rarely in the abyss of the general discussion. Meanwhile, more active devs will be keeping their posts above other developers’ updates in a healthy “who’s more engaging/ made more progress” way and not competing with CPT posts, long-lasting AG forum games, and many other topics that pop-up on the regular…

With that being said - this will only work if a mod would be redirecting/moving new posts there, of course. Other than that - you’re right, it’ll be impossible to implement.

It’s just an idea, by the way. I can of course continue “mark as read” everything I don’t care about. I think I’ve read a few posts for it, and a few posts against it too. I’d be curious to see more opinions.

Mods, sorry for taking this off topic. It did feel like a natural progression of discussion we started to have, but I think it’s a good idea to make a brand new thread about the interest/ability to do this, if possible for AG. Feel free to move this post there, please.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

DCast - 09 November 2021 04:09 PM

Oh, sthap, DCast!

I don’t think anyone is talking about reasons they are not posting. All developers who aren’t posting anything but the updates to their own games are in “developers who aren’t posting anything but the updates to their own games” basket - there’s no way around it because there’s noting else that forum members can go off on. Now if they would speculate on those reasons or talk a bit more about “human being under the dev’s name” - that would be precisely the kind of engagement I, personally, mean. Again, if there’s no interaction besides those one-sided updates, it is nothing but the string of ads.

I work in film, and if there’s another industry full of “passion projects” it’s it. Many people pour out their hearts, time, energy and very little money they have into making something only they believe in. Sometimes it’s pretty bad, sometimes it’s awesome, but plenty of people in indie film-making (and everyone’s momma) are driven by those projects.
I’m around them all the time, and I can tell you that if a guy walks in and he talks about his project this and his project that, and how great he is or how much he’s done - very few people would want to hear about it. However,if a guy walks in and starts talking about his project and then switches off to classic cinema, his love for early horror or discussing the merits of D. Lynch movies - well, here he will have a whole room full of passionate participants and will most likely end up with people who would be willing to come through and lend their skills/knowledge in their respective departments for free. I’ve done this numerous times. I understand that I speak from a making of a project point of view, but it overlays with how I follow/get interested in things I’m on a consumer side of. If there’s nothing but self-promotion, I usually fail to be engaged.

By the way - Those were some awesome pictures and a unique idea. I can’t imagine what it’s like - to make something out of ice. That looks like one adventurous life of one bad-ass artist. I’d love to see the sketches.

Veovis - 09 November 2021 02:57 AM

I suggested a separate forum section for game and kickstarter announcements some time ago, when I was a bit annoyed about the guy behind The Secret of Jesus only posting in his own thread and about Steam sales of his own game. No one seemed to like the idea back then though.

What were the reasons?

Doom - 09 November 2021 07:57 AM

Reading a thread only you want to read is also easy. Kind of like people who want to read/write about music. They go to that forum subtopic and do that without making everyone on the main page click through the thread they didn’t need/want to see, to get rid of yellow envelopes taking space in the upper part. Also having a special sub-forum doesn’t take away you making up your on mind on whether to follow the game or not - you’d still be doing it, of course.

I think KS and new game announcements are so numerous now that they are becoming its own thing at this point. I don’t care for them in the main thread, but if i do want to go over new games specifically - i can browse that sub-forum just for that reason. Like you put it, it is like browsing a marketplace - it’s an activity on its own, with daily changes and new constant additions. If anything, that will make me stop by a few times a month on purpose to see what new stuff is being offered. I already check across several sources for upcoming games,and it would be a great way to get updates/news in one place instead of losing threads of developers who post rarely in the abyss of the general discussion. Meanwhile, more active devs will be keeping their posts above other developers’ updates in a healthy “who’s more engaging/ made more progress” way and not competing with CPT posts, long-lasting AG forum games, and many other topics that pop-up on the regular…

With that being said - this will only work if a mod would be redirecting/moving new posts there, of course. Other than that - you’re right, it’ll be impossible to implement.

It’s just an idea, by the way. I can of course continue “mark as read” everything I don’t care about. I think I’ve read a few posts for it, and a few posts against it too. I’d be curious to see more opinions.

Mods, sorry for taking this off topic. It did feel like a natural progression of discussion we started to have, but I think it’s a good idea to make a brand new thread about the interest/ability to do this, if possible for AG. Feel free to move this post there, please.

Agree with e everything you said in those 2 post

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Vegetable Party - 08 November 2021 09:28 AM

We could make a new thread to discuss kickstarters in general, or the complicated social roles expected from devs on a forum like this.

There was a thread started over a couple of years ago on Site & forum Feedback (at the mo on page 3):
Game Developer Forum

It would be preferable for members to air their grievances there or on a similar thread on the subject of game development/kickstarters being on the main page of the Adventure forum rather than complaining on the threads of individual developers which is now again derailing a dedicated thread. Please can the discussion continue there or another thread started?

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Olafs_GRUNND - 09 November 2021 10:12 AM

Was smoking couple nights ago [by the way, here is the pic I took between puffs] and was just thinking - damn, it would be so beautiful to make your game and not worry about bills, food and possible cost of creating, for example, a Collector’s Edition [within reason and budget, of course]. To be able to pay everyone right away.

To sit on needles all the time, worrying about next phone bill, spamming about Kickstarter just within those limits to not overstep your boundaries where people starting to call you out Smile

One can dream, heh.

And must!

Because without dreams there won’t be a lot of fine stuff.

Moar blue skies and golden sunshine [which is totally not the thing GRUNND is about though] Grin

I think if you substitute the word “game” for others like “film/book/research/experiment/business project” - any ventures that involve a dose of risk and a person putting themselves on the line in order to “make it” and not kowing wheter it will pay off or not, you’ll be surprised how many people are having same very thoughts (probably, while smoking in places with picture-worthy surroundings) at the moment. Really, anyone who doesn’t work in a system with a stable check, especially creative jobs, could sign under those words. I can surely relate.

Can you talk about what made you come up with idea for GRUNND and its characters? I thought they felt… menacingly odd, especially a certain “lady”, although I wouldn’t call her that.  Laughing

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

About going off-topic in this thread - by all means! Grin I, for one, welcome it. It MY thread Grin

About posting about how GRUNND came to be - yep! If someone wants to hear it, I’ll tell! I’ll write this thing up during a weekend. With all that Kickstarter thing and kiddo getting food poisoning this week turned out rather hectic Smile

GRUNND.COM

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Thank you, Olafs_GRUNND. If the conversation continues - I’m sure we’ll go off topic a time or two Smile

I want to hear the story of GRUNND! I’m gonna go ahead and say that it’s rather unconventional as far as adventures go, especially the mood and the setting. I really like this “creeping darkness” going on, when on the surface everything seems rather fine,but this nagging feeling is there…
And I’d love to hear about character creation too - how did the come about?

Looking forward to your story, and don’t rush if you’re dealing with stuff, food poisoning is no fun, and kids tend to take it harder. I hope the recovery will be smooth and fast!

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

Agh, Jesus! Now we have cough all over the place. Little kiddo gets no brake. You had to see old ladies and their judgemental stares when we went to an apothecary after a cough syrup today Grin

Anyhoo, I wrote this update with this forum in mind - so i can answer some things out of ” how it came to be” basket. This is a write-up about our game music and people involved.

* * * * * GRUNND Soundscape * * * * *

Composer Ed Watkins

The godfather of GRUNND ambient feel. Meet Ed Watkins from United Kingdom [I will try to persuade him to change his name into Augustus Alastair Malcolm Richard Cadmael Watkins just to make him sound cooler*]. He is a composer and music programmer and his reach is beyond games - he also written for film. Lego, Avengers franchise [just to throw names here], David Attenborough, BAFTA winner documentaries, indie titles, etc. Personally, I do not much care about the franchise ones - those one-off personal works are worth way more in my books.

//Unfortunately this forum does not support Soundcloud embed, but I strongly advice you to have a listen: GRUNND - Establishment

With GRUNND he is from the start, from our prototype, which had only one Hub, different dialogue setup, etc. One moment, albeit very old, I still remembeer very clearly. I was finishing up the prototype and Ed sent in his first bit. I put the music into an engine and, upon pressing “Play” butoon HEARD GRUNND properly. Goosebumps.

Now within Demo we have four tracks in. I just cannot wait to hear the whole OST. Because this will be amazing. Already now I am listening just those GRUNND tracks alone. This will be a saundtrack to remember and get back to.

Here is his website, btw:

https://www.edwatkinsmusic.com/

Vudu Sister

Vudu Sister is an original band from Providence, RI. A matrimony of gothic elegance and rock and roll abandon. Vudu Sister have had the privilege to be a part of The Low Anthem’s “Newport Homegrown” showcase at the 2013 Newport Folk Festival. Vudu Sister have also had the honor to share the stage with such acts as Joe Fletcher and The Wrong Reasons, Dan Blakeslee, Brown Bird, The Low Anthem, Allysen Callery and Alec K. Redfearn and the Eyesores.

Emmm… It was a late night and I had one of those YouTube music binges. Southern Gothic vibes as a start and then see where it takes you. Exactly that’s how I discovered them, with exactly that song which is posted within our campaign. I just instantly felt, that this thing fits into GRUNND at some point in time I had to have it. I messaged Keith McCurdy [the frontman of this outfit] right away without much hope, but to my surprise he answered. He dug GRUNND and sent his blessing to use his song within it. That happened when just the prototype was out. Since then we contacted again and now Vudu Sister is actually making GRUNND Special. Could not be happier.

This particular song is from their album “Bastard Children”, but they have way more than that - check out their Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/5Gu7iDoQjE7anHIbCXckC8

Offtopic

Today was a particularly cold morning with fog all around us. We are skipping a kindergarten today, so I grabbed my kiddo and we went for a walk to our beloved botanical garden, which is just around ten minute walk from our house.

It was beautiful. Almost as beautiful as GRUNND.

- Olafs @ GRUNND

* - Ed, I am just joking, your name is perfect.

GRUNND.COM

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Let me just get out of the way that Vudu Sister seems totally my jam. I tend to go through phases where I listen to a particular style/genre a lot, and lately it’s been a lot of blues-y rock with a ton of Bob Seger and Kenny Wayne Shephered, so when I heard this song - it just sounded like a natural transition to a more upbeat rock with more punch to it and some country vibes. I’ll definitely check out their whole catalogue (thanks for posting it!),and I’m excited about that special!

GRUNND by Ed Watkins DEFINITELY relayed the game’s energy. I love how the track opens up by the end, adding more and more… Sounds (pun intended) like you have a musical component down.

By the way, this is a beautiful picture! Are you a photographer as well? I’m currently on a work trip in New Mexico, surrounded by a weird mixture of rocky desert with “golden autumn” .It’s like someone stuffed a bit of New England’s gorgeous red- and yellow-leafed trees into a place comprised out of sky, cacti, sand and clay… I dig it, but that menacing picture speaks to me directly.

If you cough these days - it OBVIOUSLY only means one thing   Grin

Thanks for the update!

If you have more time in the future - it’d be cool to hear about characters and the name of the game. Wish your kid a speedy recovery!

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

One thing that I sometimes mention is also the black metal soundscape. I feel that it has the ambience that really correlates with the feel needs to be told at some points. Granted, Demo, apart one easter egg nod to Darkthrone, has no real tracks of this sort, but there will be a couple in the full ga,e. IF there will be a full game that is.

I find the PRESENCE in this music is channeled more strongly.

P.S. Anyhoo, thank you for well-wishes - he’s way better now. And, yes, couple years ago I called myself a pro photographer. Love that you like the image, but it’s a phone shot, you can even see my finger in the corner. Kiddo would kill me, if I started to do “the slow stuff”, haha.

GRUNND.COM

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

P.S. Talking about atmosphere…

Just late last night got a confirmation, that Fenriz from Darkthrone will be a part of GRUNND Podcast!! Months!

He is a legend in world’s black metal scene who’s rarely giving interviews. Huge music aficionado overall. Our topics will be narrative, how it can be channeled through music and other things.

Have to prepare good questions, as he takes no bullshit Grin

More on him in short:

on Kerrang!

GRUNND.COM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top