• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypantsNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I had a lot of time off over the holidays so I “accidentally” Wink finished the game. But I’ll still be chiming in along the way. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

And a very Happy New Year to you as well, Tim.

I think this might be only the sixth post, system wide, that I’ve made since I notified that RL issues might get in the way of playing the game. Nothing has changed since that post. It’s nothing serious, but yet they are annoying problems. Without naming names, Smile let’s just say I have a close relative who’s nursing education I am paying for, decided to spend a semester’s tuition on something that was not education related.

Stuff happens. And this is still going to take some time to sort out.

My plan is to continue. And that may mean just completing one of the three paths, and catching up with everyone at the end game. But that’s not a given.

I will finish this game once everything is sorted out. Although I may have to search down to page seven before I can contribute.

And a Happy New Year to everyone else that is playing the game.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 02 January 2019 08:52 PM

Without naming names, Smile let’s just say I have a close relative who’s nursing education I am paying for, decided to spend a semester’s tuition on something that was not education related.

Sounds like money well spent on her part imo Smile

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

WTF are you talking about? You think I can pull another $15K out of my back pocket to instantly replenish what this person spent? If you can do it, I’ll give you the addess of the college’s finance department.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

A little late to the part for the fists path, but…

I really liked the “eyes adjusting to the darkness” effect of FoA.  Actually, I like a lot of the things they do with altering palette colours in this game, such as using it to animate the water at sea.  More on colour palette shifts when we get a bit farther in the game though.

I’ve played FoA a number of times and have to admit that I play the fists path the least as it does feel a little empty compared to the other paths.  That said, I do like that Indy gets to use his whip more on this path, as subbi previously mentioned.

For the fights, I used the keyboard controls and battled all the normal enemies that don’t have alternate puzzle solutions associated with them.  It’s no Mortal Kombat, but I personally found the fighting system here to be better than the one in The Last Crusade (Indy loses his own health if he throw too many punches, what the what?!).  I especially like that if you retreat far enough you can run away from a fight.

Favourite location from this section for me is the old steamer boat.  It feels like an Indiana Jones locale without really being like anything in the movies (the closest is probably the Bantu Wind in Raiders of the Lost Ark).

Check out my adventure game series Sleuthhounds!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 02 January 2019 08:28 AM

Who’s still playing?

I’m out. I had stopped taking part in CPs because their ridiculously-glacial pace guarantees that I’ll lose whatever enthusiasm I originally felt long before the game’s over; I’m not sure why I thought it’d be different this time, but, well, it hasn’t been.

(I miss those 8-day challenges we did a couple of years ago. Those were good.)

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’ve reached Atlantis again.

I’m beginning to recollect some missing parts that is featured in the last path. Wink All of them are fun IMO to such an extent that it’s hard to choose a favourite. The team path is the one I have played the most though if memory serves correctly.

Following the shopkeeper, crossing the desert with the camel and figuring out how to defeat nazis is fun. But so is dressing up as a ghost and steering a submarine.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 23 December 2018 06:20 PM

Some end-of-section questions:

- What do you think of the “your eyes are adjusting to the darkness a little” way that dark places become slightly more visible? Have you seen this used in other games as well?

I thought that was quite a clever detail - I don’t recall it being used in any other games I’ve played.

- Which fights did you actually fight? Did you use the “sucker-punch” often? Or did you perhaps cheat with the ScummVM console command?

I didn’t fight any fights & used the “sucker punch” every time!

- What’s your favourite location from this section? Is it your favourite location in the game, or is that still the one from the earlier part?

My favourite location was Algiers in this section & in the game so far - I enjoyed tracking the shopkeeper when I realised that’s what I needed to do. The voice of the beggar reminded me of the Syrian cab driver in BS1 - is it the same voice actor?

Did you let Indy drown instead of going in the entrance to Atlantis?

Miraculously I managed not to do that!

I’ve now finished the team path although I gave up after numerous attempts trying to navigate the sub into the airlock so I haven’t turned the lights on!
Hope I haven’t missed too much!

I was impressed by the variations from the fists path as I was expecting it to be more repetitive.
I went to Monte Carlo first & managed first time to get Trottier to part with the sunstone just by answering his questions.
Unfortunately my game froze in Algiers so I had to go back to the beginning of the section again. This time the answers were different so I tried to get Indie to dress up as a ghost - that didn’t work so I tried answering the questions again this time successfully.
This part & the section in Algiers I thought was a little more challenging than in the fists path but also more interesting puzzle wise.
I did prefer though the Crete section in the fists path.

I found manoeuvring the balloon more difficult so was quite pleased it was shot down & the truck was used this time to leave the dig site!

The part inside the sub was interesting & I managed to get Indie killed I did enjoy driving the sub but just couldn’t get it in the right place to manoeuvre it into the airlock. I tried!

Obviously the major differences include being able to enter the hotel, the balloon being shot down & using the truck, no soldiers except on the sub,  Omar rather than the shopkeeper being in the market, the knife-throwing & bartering, not accessing the town streets, not visiting Thera & getting to Atlantis by sub rather than diving

The sections in the dig site & the labyrinth seemed to be the more similar to each other in the fists & team paths with just a few variations.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I love these CPTs. The best part is the discussions on how we like or don’t each section completed.

Yes, I played this game years ago on my Amiga computer, Tims excellent leadership of this game has brought back many fond memories of how I loved this game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 04 January 2019 03:41 AM

I’m out. I had stopped taking part in CPs because their ridiculously-glacial pace guarantees that I’ll lose whatever enthusiasm I originally felt long before the game’s over; I’m not sure why I thought it’d be different this time, but, well, it hasn’t been.

Sorry to hear that. I did give the playthrough schedule in the introduction, though, so the pace shouldn’t have come as a surprise. Smile

chrissie - 04 January 2019 03:42 PM

I’ve now finished the team path although I gave up after numerous attempts trying to navigate the sub into the airlock so I haven’t turned the lights on!

I asked to continue to turn the lights on just to be sure you’d see Sophia being taken by Nazis, leaving you alone in the dark entrance.

See this video. 1:45:00 - 1:46:20

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So, it’s Friday, January 4th and it seems most of you have reached the dark place again (or have given up / sprinted ahead).

- How did you obtain Trottier’s stone? Did you answer his questions, or spook him?

- Did you fight the submarine captain, or did you run away?

- What’s your favourite location from this section? What did you think of its differences with the Fists path?

- What’s your favourite Indy-Sophia interaction? How does Sophia score as a sidekick? Annoying? Fun? A good counterbalance for Indy? A nuisance?

Now that you’ve reached the entrance to Atlantis (again), it’s time to… reload an earlier save (again).

Remember this point?

Of course you do!

It’s time to go back to this point yet again!

This time around we’ll be picking the “Wits” path, that means “thinking it through alone”. Then you’ll be on your way to Monte Carlo and Algiers yet again!

You then have until Friday, January 11th to reach this dark location a third time:

Some notes for the coming section:

- This part is entirely without fights, and has the most puzzles. For those hunting the IQ points, this section has the most to be earned.

- You’ll be revisiting a bunch of locations again, meeting a lot of the same characters. Try to note the similarities and differences between this path and the Team and Fists paths. And then please comment on that. Again. Grin

Fun stuff:

Did you get the baseball from Omar? The one that was signed by Lou Gehrig? Did you look at it?

If not, you missed this reference:

Did you fight the submarine captain? Did you LOSE?

If you didn’t, you may have missed the funniest game over screen in the game:

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

- How did you obtain Trottier’s stone? Did you answer his questions, or spook him?

It’s always more fun to spook him Smile I honestly didn’t remember being able to get the stone any other way. I think it’s because the last question is pure luck!

Another instance I had forgotten about. I think I always fought him, running away has a funny and better outcome though.

- What’s your favourite location from this section? What did you think of its differences with the Fists path?

Algiers is still my favorite location, even more so in the “team path” since it’s more lively.

- What’s your favourite Indy-Sophia interaction? How does Sophia score as a sidekick? Annoying? Fun? A good counterbalance for Indy? A nuisance?

My favorite interaction by far is in Algiers where you try to convince Sophia to volunteer for the knife thrower. The conversation leading up to and then “pushing” her into volunteering is very funny and a clever solution. Then the reward (bloody knife) is the evidence from a previous accident, lol Tongue As a sidekick I think she is perfect, very reminiscent of the classic snarky love/hate relationships in all the Indy films.

fun stuff:

I had never intentionally lost the fight with the submarine captain before, kudos to the devs for the “slap in the face” game over message! Grin

The baseball easter egg was a new one for me too, I had never thought to “look” at it in the past. There are also numerous other interesting items you can continue to trade for.

One other easter egg/fun thing to do that I don’t think was mentioned is to go to the hotel room before talking to Trottier and turning off the lights via the fuse box then using the flashlight Smile Indy will use the flashlight to make finger puppet shadows on the wall. The last one is Max from Sam and Max but Indy jokingly says it’s Nur Ab Sal!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

I’m enjoying the playthrough, especially finding out stuff about this game that I’ve been playing since it first came out (non-talkie version, even) and didn’t know was there.  Like the shadow puppets Sir Beardalot mentioned.  I’ll have to go back and check that one. Smile

I got Trottier’s stone by spooking him.  I’ve only once ever managed to get the stone by answering his questions.  I’ve often wondered, is that last question of his truly random or is there some trigger in the game that either causes you to get it right or else to get it wrong.  Does anyone know?

I usually fight the submarine captain, but this time I went the run away route.  I’d forgotten the funny bit that ensues from that!

Favourite location for the team path is a toss up between Algiers and the submarine.  Algiers because it feels like a more crowded and bustling place on the team path.  The submarine because, well, it’s a submarine!  On the sub I like that you can overhear snippets of background conversation through the bulkheads.

The team path is my favourite in the game because of the interactions with Sophia.  I like the vibe that both Indy and Sophia think they know more than the other one and that they both have that Indy tendency to get into situations that they’re not quite up to handling.  And the knife thrower section is just fun, especially Sophia’s response to Indy afterwards. Smile

I also like all the little gags they put on the items you can trade for in Algiers.  The baseball was already mentioned but I also like the voodoo doll.

Looking forward to the wits path, which is the one that stumped me for the longest time so many years ago before this little thing called the internet came around and it became possible to look up walkthroughs.

Check out my adventure game series Sleuthhounds!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

TimovieMan - 04 January 2019 06:32 PM

I did both, first answered the questions, then haunted him. Not on purpose, but because I suddenly decided that I had somehow missed my second visit to Iceland and loaded an earlier savegame without saving. Then it turned out that the team path doesn’t have this option and I chose to go the spook rout which was actually more fun.

I didn’t know you could fight him, I just chose a dialogue option and Indi did the rest. That’s a funny death message for sure.

The U-boat! Lots of fun. The fists path just threw it away, that’s why I don’t like it.

I covered this earlier. My favourite interaction was also the knife thrower part and the one in a cave when Indi tried to convince her to crawl into a hole.

Did you get the baseball from Omar? The one that was signed by Lou Gehrig? Did you look at it?

I did, as well as some other junk (I actually forgot how to solve this puzzle, so had to experiment for some time). Reminded me of my time spent at the Turkish bazaar.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 04 January 2019 05:07 PM
chrissie - 04 January 2019 03:42 PM

I asked to continue to turn the lights on just to be sure you’d see Sophia being taken by Nazis, leaving you alone in the dark entrance.

Thanks Timo. After looking at YT I did have another few goes & eventually got the sub into the airlock. I heard Sophia being kidnapped but haven’t found a way yet to turn on the lights although again the dark environment got lighter.

TimovieMan - 04 January 2019 05:07 PM

- What’s your favourite Indy-Sophia interaction? How does Sophia score as a sidekick? Annoying? Fun? A good counterbalance for Indy? A nuisance? [/spoilers]

Fun stuff:
Did you fight the submarine captain? Did you LOSE?

I think I answered most of the end of section questions already. After looking at YT to see the sub being manoeuvred into the airlock I checked out the part to see how Trottier was spooked As I didn’t go to Algiers first I didn’t get the mask! which is why (amusing anyway) Trottier could see that Indie was just [/spoiler] trying to scare him when I tried just using the sheet [/spoiler].
I liked Sophie as a sidekick for the banter - she’s a mixture of everything mentioned but my favourite , as mentioned by others already, is ‘pushing her’ into being the knife-thrower’s assistant! .
It looked like I was going to have to fight the captain - all the health etc bars came up but I think I just got out of his way & somehow knocked him out - I’m not sure how?  Laughing .
I did get & look at the baseball - I know who Ron Gilbert is but - sorry! It just went over my head!  Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top