• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kickstarter reflection of succesful games in production

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The overall voice acting is actually surprisingly good considering your, well lets say, modest budget.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Thanks.  Yes, heh, modest budget is putting it lightly.  But it is a budget, and we’re making a game on it.  Being acclimated to making no-budget games definitely helps.

Bt

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There just was a new update on SpaceVenture and to be honest it was a bit underwhelming. They did show some gameplay footage and the music from Ken Allen was jus as good as you’d hope, but the stuff they showed was mostly a rehash of what we’ve seen previously. Very little of new actual in game room art, only the rooms we’ve seen before and some concepts.

All in all it left me with a feeling that the game release might be pushed back, despite they didn’t say that.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

tomimt - 09 April 2013 02:36 AM

There just was a new update on SpaceVenture and to be honest it was a bit underwhelming. They did show some gameplay footage and the music from Ken Allen was jus as good as you’d hope, but the stuff they showed was mostly a rehash of what we’ve seen previously. Very little of new actual in game room art, only the rooms we’ve seen before and some concepts.

They don’t show a lot here, but I like what I see. I just wonder why they wasted *so* much time at the start of the video showing that sketch of Ace laying on the couch watching tv. I started worrying that that was all that was going to be shown. Wouldn’t be surprised if many people stopped the video after 20 seconds of that same shot.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I felt the same too. The update said that they were planning to have an alpha ready by now, but it got pushed back slightly. So I was expecting a lot more gameplay footage. Instead most of it was concept art and and renderings with only a few seconds of actual gameplay footage.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Wow it’s actually 50+ seconds of showing that same shot at the beginning. Thought that was odd.

The animation looks cool, though.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

tomimt - 09 April 2013 02:36 AM

Yeah, that update would have been great if this was last September or so, but it’s very troubling 13 months after their original release target. They can say they don’t want to show too much due to spoilers, but they haven’t even shown a character walking from one room into another, or two different camera angles of the same area. It makes it seem as if they are almost nowhere in terms of asset creation.

The art istself is very appealing, as is the music, the interface… I like everything I’ve seen, but there seems to be something very wrong with the level of progress they’ve made.

All in all it left me with a feeling that the game release might be pushed back, despite they didn’t say that.

I think the concerns are more dire than that with Kickstarter projects. This isn’t a game where Activision or whoever can just throw more money at them when they miss their mark. They didn’t get very much money for this project, and when it runs out, there is no game.

I’m deeply concerned about whether or not they will be able to make a full game, or if we’ll end up with some kind of seriously compromised episodic release or worse.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 09 April 2013 11:13 AM

I think the concerns are more dire than that with Kickstarter projects. This isn’t a game where Activision or whoever can just throw more money at them when they miss their mark. They didn’t get very much money for this project, and when it runs out, there is no game.

I’m deeply concerned about whether or not they will be able to make a full game, or if we’ll end up with some kind of seriously compromised episodic release or worse.

This is a serious risk with every KS project that just barely makes their minumum goal. If they can’t keep up their schedule, or don’t have some other sources for money, a risk of failure is a real threat.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

tomimt - 09 April 2013 11:42 AM

This is a serious risk with every KS project that just barely makes their minumum goal. If they can’t keep up their schedule, or don’t have some other sources for money, a risk of failure is a real threat.

Right. Meanwhile, the reaction from a lot of fans is “Eh, I can wait.” They don’t seem to understand that risk. They think delays are just delays, when it’s much more serious than that.

I usually have serious reservations about backing any project by a new developer, or even an established developer that doesn’t have at least some of their own funding for that reason. I made an exception for Two Guys because Space Quest is one of those God Tier series for me that I’d do anything for, but I did keep my pledge small for that reason all the same.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Quest1 - 09 April 2013 04:09 AM

Wow it’s actually 50+ seconds of showing that same shot at the beginning. Thought that was odd.

Yeah, I didn’t get the point of it either.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 09 April 2013 12:26 PM

Right. Meanwhile, the reaction from a lot of fans is “Eh, I can wait.” They don’t seem to understand that risk. They think delays are just delays, when it’s much more serious than that.

If something has became evident through these Kickstarter it’s the some people just don’t graps that making games costs money. 400k is not that much money if you need keep a team of paid people in your disposal to actually create the game. Some even seem to think that everyone is doing work with cut salary because every member of the game development team is just such a great sport.

Total Posts: 137

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I’m enthralled with the renaissance of adventure games.  Smile It’s really an exciting time.  My most anticipated are :

-Dreamfall Chapters

-Mage’s Initiation

-Quest For Infamy

what? no spaceventure? no lsl? no double fine? no hero-u?  I love qfg and sq more than almost any other series but these new characters and game ideas just did not mesh with me.

Don’t get me wrong, the background and concept art for spaceventure looks great but I really hate the main character. He is a far cry from the Roger Wilco we all loved. 

I’m glad to read that the hero-U game is being (or has been) completely redesigned. The tileset art they had going did not look appealing to me at all being a qfg fan. Perhaps if they do a second kickstarter which looks more like a spiritual qfg successor should, that will win my pledge… thinking of qfg-games, anyone heard of heroine quest?  Probably a long way away from any kind of demo even, but it looks fun to me. Smile http://crystalshard.net/hq.htm

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

syn - 13 April 2013 09:36 PM

Don’t get me wrong, the background and concept art for spaceventure looks great but I really hate the main character. He is a far cry from the Roger Wilco we all loved.

Like I said, I’m skeptical about SpaceVenture for other reasons, but I actually kind of love the new character, and Roger was never that well fleshed out, beyond being the typical comedy-adventure buffoon archetype.

There are some games (Dreamfall, Tex Murphy) where I really wanted to see a direct continuation of the story; mostly games that had unfinished business in that regard. But for a lot of these other series (Space Quest, Neverhood, Tim Schafer’s games), the style and writing is much more important to me than the particular story or characters. In Tim’s case, I almost think it would be strange if he did do a sequel since he almost never has (DoTT excepting).

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

More good news to this thread, as LSL:R is wrapping up voices and the beta should be starting soon. the May release keeps closing in.

Tex Murphy has wrapped filming and the game team is finish up UI and begun work with the game puzzles. So the train keeps rolling with that one as well.

Also work is progressing on good pace on Shadowgate. The artwork looks absolutely stunning and the music tracks are simply fantastic. Thir UI work looks like it should work fairly well.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I keep forgetting about Shadowgate. I didn’t have money to back it at the time, but it looks good.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top