• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

To the Moon 2 and A Bird Story

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

There is apparently a sequel to To the Moon coming out at some point in the future.  In the meantime, there will be a short bridging game called A Bird story this summer.  I look forward to hearing where this goes (and to hearing more To The Moon music).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The ending already did suggest that To the Moon was essentially the first episode in a series (so I reckon Kan Gao has a few more tricks up his sleeve for the foreseeable future).

Even if the second part (or the bridging game for that matter) “only” reaches ‘The Mirror Lied’ quality, then I’ll still be happy. I’m not going to expect a full repeat of To the Moon’s emotional intensity…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m so surprised that there maybe a sequel to ‘To the Moon’. It was to me a complete game in itself - but thinking about it the protagonists can use their talents in other places so look forward to it - is there any chance of just upgrading the twee graphics a tad?

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

TimovieMan - 07 March 2013 01:20 PM

The ending already did suggest that To the Moon was essentially the first episode in a series

Yep. It was written: Episode 1 - done. Plus, there was this mysterious fading at the very end. All that happened after credits.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Cool news. I guess the sequel will be a spiritual successor but not a direct continuation of the story in To the Moon since that story was completed.

And I guess I’ll throw in that while I enjoyed To the Moon, I think it’s a bit overrated. Very nice story, but I just have this feeling that the game’s reputation was a bit inflated by younger gamers who perhaps hadn’t been as exposed to that kind of deep, sad storytelling before. That’s not to say older people can’t enjoy the story and game equally. But it seemed like everything I saw about the game in major sites was along the lines of, “OMG FEELZ”.

I guess I’m jaded and cynical enough that while I was touched by the story, it didn’t really hit me all that hard. That’s not a criticism of the story. Just an arrogant comment that I’ve watched/read/played enough fiction to be weathered to losing my shit over a sad story like the one in To the Moon.

Sorry for mild rant. Looking forward to more from Kan Gao.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

inm8#2 - 07 March 2013 05:56 PM

I just have this feeling that the game’s reputation was a bit inflated by younger gamers who perhaps hadn’t been as exposed to that kind of deep, sad storytelling before.

I can’t speak for everyone else but what you describe as “OMZ FEELZ” is exactly why I thought the story was shallow. But I think I know what you mean.

Trying to take some positives from the game, I think it’s a good thing an adventure game (sort of) tries to target the heartstrings over brainy puzzles and plot devices, because god knows, we’ve got enough of that going around! It just didn’t work for me this time. But I’ll probably play the sequel and hope I am more successful with it.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m not a “younger gamer” and I found To The Moon incredibly moving. Just saying. Smile

And, without even knowing anything about A Bird Story yet, I’m psyched for it.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

According to the article, A Bird Story will be short, around 30 minutes long.  Hopefully, it will be a free game to whet the appetite for the sequel.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I didn’t say To the Moon wasn’t moving or wasn’t a good story. There’s plenty for people young and old to enjoy.

I just said that its reputation became bloated from endless praise in places like reddit or Steam that, for all I could tell, came from younger users (since that demographic dominates those discussion communities) who can’t express their emotions in a way other than referring to them as “feelz”.

To the Moon was a nice story, but for me personally it just wasn’t all that memorable or great. Like Zifnab I found it shallow and manipulative in spots. Plus I think the “comic relief” male character was incredibly forced, out of place, and unfunny, giving the game tonal inconsistency. Also, the music is what probably elevated the emotional experience and impact of the story for people.

But since this thread isn’t about what I think of To the Moon, I’ll shut my face.  Neutral

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

inm8#2 - 07 March 2013 10:21 PM

To the Moon was a nice story, but for me personally it just wasn’t all that memorable or great. Like Zifnab I found it shallow and manipulative in spots. Plus I think the “comic relief” male character was incredibly forced, out of place, and unfunny, giving the game tonal inconsistency.

I found it overrated as well.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just an arrogant comment that I’ve watched/read/played enough fiction to be weathered to losing my shit over a sad story like the one in To the Moon.

What do you mean, “sad story”? While the main character had suffered more than his share of tragedies in his life, the entire game when taken as a whole was anything but sad, imo.
In fact, I consider it the most life- and love-affirming game I’ve ever played.

fov - 07 March 2013 08:51 PM

I’m not a “younger gamer” and I found To The Moon incredibly moving. Just saying. Smile

^ This.
Unless you still consider 31 to be “younger”? Innocent

I hadn’t cried like that during a game since, well, ever. Incredibly moving indeed.

To the Moon was a nice story, but for me personally it just wasn’t all that memorable or great. Like Zifnab I found it shallow and manipulative in spots. Plus I think the “comic relief” male character was incredibly forced, out of place, and unfunny, giving the game tonal inconsistency. Also, the music is what probably elevated the emotional experience and impact of the story for people.

I agree that it was manipulative in spots (especially the part where your female colleague starts doing things behind the screen, leaving your character out of the loop). As for the ‘comic relief’, well, I’ve never minded geeky characters. I can take geek humour. But I’m a geek myself, so YMMV.
I agree that the music was immensely important for the portrayal of the emotional feelings, and for the overall impact of the story…

Interplay - 07 March 2013 08:55 PM

According to the article, A Bird Story will be short, around 30 minutes long.  Hopefully, it will be a free game to whet the appetite for the sequel.

Chances are that it’ll be free, imo. ‘The Mirror Lied’ (which ran about 20-25 minutes), the short (non-interactive) story ‘Do You Remember My Lullaby?’ (which ran for 10 minutes) as well as their Quintessence RPG were also all free on their site...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I never said older people couldn’t enjoy the game. I was referring to “younger people” (aka teenage redditors and Steam users) in my comments. I meant their hyperbolic comments bloated the reputation of the game, not that they were the only people who could or should enjoy it.

I didn’t mean the male scientist didn’t work because he was “geeky”. I meant his humor was forced and out of place. Plus I wouldn’t say his lines were representative of “geek humor”.

So it seems some are either deliberately ignoring or misinterpreting what I clearly spelled out in both posts. Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So it seems some are either deliberately ignoring or misinterpreting what I clearly spelled out in both posts. Smile

Or they’re jesting. Wink

That’s not to say older people can’t enjoy the story and game equally.

There’s plenty for people young and old to enjoy.

inm8#2 - 08 March 2013 08:50 PM

Ok, I made it clear twice that I never said older people couldn’t enjoy the game.

So now I’m ‘older’, am I??? Pan

See what I mean? Innocent

And nowhere did I say the male scientist didn’t work because he was “geeky”. I said his humor was forced and out of place. And I wouldn’t say his lines were representative of “geek humor”. I don’t think this counter argument even applies to the points I was making.

Well, he did a lot of stuff simply to annoy his female coworker (which is usually something you’d see if they were a couple), so ‘immature’ may work better than ‘geeky’, but I distinctly remember there being a ‘KAME-HAME-HA’ in there somewhere, so there definitely was a geek vibe. Maybe not as pronounced as I remember…
Note to self: replay To the Moon! Tongue

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*bump*

Just noticed this in the AG News section:

To the Moon - Holiday Special Minisode - downloadable for free!

Something to bridge the first and second game?

Also: Kan Gao released a couple more preview tracks from the OST of A Bird Story (you can find them on the same link).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top