• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken sword reforged kickstarter

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

For anyone who’s interested in having a collector’s edition of the remaster/remake of broken sword 1 here is the link. The kickstarter was fully funded within 30 minutes of launch. They were only asking 63,000 but that’s still crazy. The amount is now over 100,000 collected.

As a rule of thumb I no longer back Kickstarter projects because I’ve been burned one too many times, but even I’m considering getting the $100 version, because I’m creating a game room in my house and I would love some more broken sword memorabilia.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revolution-software/broken-sword-reforged-collectors-edition?fbclid=IwAR3MQ61IQm1dHAQeKCjGsa6lWKxlKpfCuzo0eIuuJ9TC_mdJ0KzToE3A1kE

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I thought the game was already ready for a release, but great news nevertheless, Revolution deserve all the help they can get, and it keeps coming. Looks absolutely stunning!

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 28 February 2024 02:14 PM

I thought the game was already ready for a release, but great news nevertheless, Revolution deserve all the help they can get, and it keeps coming. Looks absolutely stunning!

The game itself is coming no matter what including Broken Sword 6. this is a Kickstarter only for Collector’s Editions and Rewards. So basically a big box version with the game, a figure of george, behind the scenes material, art book, vinyl record, a map… and the thing I’m actually most intrigued by a full-blown Game Manuel.

Rather the kickstarter was funded or not, the digital version of the game would have been released on Steam, Gog Etc..

That is one reason I’m thinking about backing this because I know they will most likely come through, they did a Kickstarter for broken sword 5 and ever since then have not really asked for more money and didn’t need money to complete the game. this kickstarter is for the people that love collecting physical media and I’m one of them.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh, I missed this somehow, I thought this KS was aimed at funding both the collector’s edition and the actual game. While I was never an avid collector, at this point I feel kinda bad for getting rid of many of my boxed games (Zorks, Riven, The Neverhood…). With the digital era something was lost, those were truly part of the gaming experience. Coincidentally, the original British Broken Sword 1-2 boxes are among those few I kept, I just have a soft spot for Revolution) Maybe I should get this one as well.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 28 February 2024 05:18 PM

Oh, I missed this somehow, I thought this KS was aimed at funding both the collector’s edition and the actual game. While I was never an avid collector, at this point I feel kinda bad for getting rid of many of my boxed games (Zorks, Riven, The Neverhood…). With the digital era something was lost, those were truly part of the gaming experience. Coincidentally, the original British Broken Sword 1-2 boxes are among those few I kept, I just have a soft spot for Revolution) Maybe I should get this one as well.

yep same here for a while, but for the last five or so years I’ve been collecting all kinds of physical media because I don’t trust any of these streaming services anymore. Games TV shows and movies are constantly appearing and disappearing when rights are up. Heck about a month ago people lost their movies on I want to say the PlayStation store after they bought a digital copy of it because playstation no longer had the rights for it. so even when you pay 20 something bucks you don’t get the digital copy forever.

So I will always have a Blu-ray player and physical media of the stuff I can’t live without. Plus there’s just a lot of cool stuff in this package that I’m interested in for my game room.

PS one thing I do not like about this Kickstarter at all is the lowest tier which I want to say is $45 does not actually have a physical version of the game. Why would anybody want a big box with only a digital steam or Gog code. I don’t think there should be any version that does not come with a physical copy of the game. especially surrounded by the BS landscape of digital media right now.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

That’s why I thought it was about funding the game in general, not just a boxed version. Then again, if people are willing to pay for a digital content only — why not) 210 backers so far. They will get a mention in the game credits and some extra content I guess. I’m fine as long as this will become a new standard for Broken Sword after the — imho — horrible Director’s Cut which should be abandoned once and for all.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 28 February 2024 09:30 PM

That’s why I thought it was about funding the game in general, not just a boxed version. Then again, if people are willing to pay for a digital content only — why not) 210 backers so far. They will get a mention in the game credits and some extra content I guess. I’m fine as long as this will become a new standard for Broken Sword after the — imho — horrible Director’s Cut which should be abandoned once and for all.

I don’t know I just find it strange, it’d be like buying a candy bar just to get the wrapper and the actual chocolate is not inside of it.  and like I said also because of the weirdness around digital media, for instance there was a whole bunch of stories about people who bought digital copies of movies, who no longer can access them on a provider because that provider no longer has the rights to those said movies. So these customers who have spent 20 to $25 dollars on a digital movie are just out of that money. Just read this article, its crazy to me.
https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-will-soon-remove-digital-content-from-players-libraries-even-if-theyve-paid-for-it#:~:text=“As of 31 December 2023,you for your continued support.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

The box with only a download code was rather common during the transition from the era when games were only released as physical procuct and when the likes of Steam and GOG completely took over the market. I remember there being quite an outrage from people who had bought a game in a big box unaware of that all that was inside was a slip of paper with a Steam code and, if they were lucky, a printed manual.

Just watched the KS video on Youtube. Must say I’m not crazy about the animations and how the characters look in the reforged version. Even if they haven’t used AI algorithms for this one I can’t shake the feeling that it looks like they have. Looks a bit sterile to me. I’m intrigued about them taking care of things that they felt were “rushed” when they created the original though. Hopefully no revisionist stuff like with the remaster…

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 29 February 2024 05:03 AM

The box with only a download code was rather common during the transition from the era when games were only released as physical procuct and when the likes of Steam and GOG completely took over the market. I remember there being quite an outrage from people who had bought a game in a big box unaware of that all that was inside was a slip of paper with a Steam code and, if they were lucky, a printed manual.

Just watched the KS video on Youtube. Must say I’m not crazy about the animations and how the characters look in the reforged version. Even if they haven’t used AI algorithms for this one I can’t shake the feeling that it looks like they have. Looks a bit sterile to me. I’m intrigued about them taking care of things that they felt were “rushed” when they created the original though. Hopefully no revisionist stuff like with the remaster…

From what I’m hearing they did change some stuff but very little. For example some dialogue because I guess they felt like it’s too stereotype of a character archetype in 2024. I’m not a fan of that at all, but if it is only minor changes, I can let that roll off my back. Also I do believe they did use some AI because it’d be way too expensive to try to repaint everything by hand. I actually like the updated Graphics though. I think each version has its charm, the original and this but the fact that you can also switch back and forth between both versions is a welcome addition. maybe they will fix Georgia’s proportions, sometimes in cutscenes he looks like he’s two feet tall and other times he looks like he’s 6’5 lol.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 February 2024 10:00 PM

Just read this article, its crazy to me.
https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-will-soon-remove-digital-content-from-players-libraries-even-if-theyve-paid-for-it#:~:text=“As of 31 December 2023,you for your continued support.

Yes, this situation when your game library doesn’t really belong to you and depends on how the service operates is frustrating — why I was never a fan of Steam to begin with and tried to purchase games through Gog or Humble Bundle and such when possible. There was a very recent discussion when the Ubisoft executive openly voiced the idea that “gamers will need to get “comfortable” not owning their games before video game subscriptions truly take off”, so it will get only worse.

Jdawg445 - 29 February 2024 08:48 AM

From what I’m hearing they did change some stuff but very little. For example some dialogue because I guess they felt like it’s too stereotype of a character archetype in 2024. I’m not a fan of that at all, but if it is only minor changes, I can let that roll off my back.

Hm, now this actually sounds problematic. I can live with some unpolished graphics/animations, but I don’t really want to see the game rewritten or the characters revoiced. After all the whole game consists of more-or-less stereotypical characters — French, Irish, Syrians, Spanish, Americans… If they want to appeal to everyone, they will need to change A LOT OF that, and the game will most certainly lose its charm.

Or there was a gay clerk at the hotel who not only spoke, but also moved stereotypically. They will what, cut out all of that beautiful animation? The whole point of the series is that it never tried to be realistic, even the 3D sequels featured plenty of cartoonish situations and characters with exaggerated features. Censoring it would harm the games a lot, I imagine.

Veovis - 29 February 2024 05:03 AM

Lol I missed this period somehow, would be outraged as well)

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

The over-the-top comic book stereotypes of the Broken Sword characters were 99% of the charm. It wouldn’t have become nearly as popular a series without them. Are they really that offensive? I have no strong opinions about things getting “cancelled” and generally avoid such debates, but I wonder which specific examples they are changing and why. I know there have been other media where the change was justified - like the African stereotypes in Tintin comics - but I don’t recall anything like that in BS, or at least anything as extreme. Where do you draw the line?

AKA Charo

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Charophycean - 29 February 2024 11:48 PM

The over-the-top comic book stereotypes of the Broken Sword characters were 99% of the charm. It wouldn’t have become nearly as popular a series without them. Are they really that offensive? I have no strong opinions about things getting “cancelled” and generally avoid such debates, but I wonder which specific examples they are changing and why. I know there have been other media where the change was justified - like the African stereotypes in Tintin comics - but I don’t recall anything like that in BS, or at least anything as extreme. Where do you draw the line?

The only exact example Charles gave was the carpet salesman that you give the matchbook to, will be changed a bit.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 February 2024 08:48 AM

From what I’m hearing they did change some stuff but very little.

There’s one thing that they should definitely change! That poor goat, tied up, further restricted by George, nobody allowed in so left to starve Frown  Couldn’t George at least have lifted off the pillar/log/whatever it was from the poor animal’s tethering rope? How cruel is George Stobbard! Have him arrested for animal cruelty. Set the women of PETA after him (hmm. Perhaps not. He might enjoy that the sexist pig!) Let there be a Revolution in game design Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Laughing My thought there Jabod is that the goat that was tied up is being looked after already!

I don’t believe in changing the content of any original work of art whether it be a book (Enid Blyton springs to mind), a film/TV production or game on account that views have changed. I believe that all offerings should be released in their original form with disclaimers if the attitudes/content are perceived to be potentially offensive to the modern audience.

I love Broken Sword but truly is there really any need to adapt it for a ‘woke audience’?

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

I don’t see any issues with these changes.

First, the artist/creator responsible for it wants to do it. I highly doubt there was a massive amount of public pressure to change this. So, they are doing it based on how they feel the art should evolve. If you are disagreeing with the artist, that’s ok. We all have what we like - some people think stereotypes are hilarious and do no harm. Others think they do harm. Either way, what is and isn’t considered a stereotype shifts over time - this is nothing new.

If you don’t want a changed version, just play the original. Certainly there are instances where a remake truly replaces the original, but often the original versions remain available. Indeed, GOG will often bundle originals with remasters. Even without cut or modified substance, a lot of the art will change so this is unlikely to be a product for those who want it to remain truly authentic. Tbh, I have mixed feelings about some of the remastered’s version screenshots.

All this said: Yay! Potential for new audiences to enjoy classic games! Maybe they will revamp the The Director Cut’s puzzles (Nico’s sections had some terrible content!).

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I can’t argue with your very good points here IronCretin especially about the potential for new audiences to enjoy classic games. (But mm.. how classic does it remain after it’s been ‘updated’?)

I’m also all for improving the artwork/graphics.

I already have at least 2 versions of Broken Sword but would be very tempted by a new unauthentic version. But truly I just feel that Broken Sword is now being thrashed to death instead of Charles Cecil using his talents to create a fresh game, in the same vein, with new characters & story.

If Charles Cecil is in mind to update Broken Sword for VR, for me that would be worthwhile &  I would invest in a headset!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top