• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 81: The Wolf Among Us

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Horner? No, he’s the beanstalk Jack.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

I am not a long-time follower of Fables, but their fan Wiki disagrees with you.

https://fables.fandom.com/wiki/Jack_Horner_(Video_Game)

*edit* For some reason clicking the above link does not take you to the correct page. Try cutting & pasting that link to the browser if you want to see it. Or use the disambiguation link:
https://fables.fandom.com/wiki/Jack_Horner

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Forgive the double reply, but he also has an in-game Book of Fables entry that identifies him as Jack Horner:

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You’re right! Strange, I could have sworn he’s the beanstalk Jack in the comics. I’ll have to check. Maybe both Jacks are in the comics.

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

No worries! TBH my mind went* straight to Jack & the Beanstalk when they first mentioned his name while I was playing, but I remember being caught off guard when I saw or heard his last name.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I checked. We were both right. Smile I only read the first 6 issues, which are about the mystery of Snow’s missing sister Rose. Jack is Rose’s boyfriend. He looks just like the TWAU Jack, ponytail and all. I quote Bigby: You look out of breath, Jack. Been climbing beanstalks again?

EDIT: Maybe Bill Willingham combined the two Jacks into one character. Just a guess. Based on the fact that Bigby is apparently also the wolf that destroyed the pigs’ homes.

Here’s the pic from the comics.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I went back and watched the bar scene in Episode 2. It was Jack. I really didn’t pay much attention to his meandering. It didn’t seem as if it was going to lead us anywhere. But yep! That’s why he rang a memory bell.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now got to the end of Chapter 4.

The story has continued to be engaging & introduces some new characters.
As Bigby again I tried to be nice to no avail & ended up with what I found to be a difficult fight with the Jersey Devil who took me quite a few attempts to beat.

My Choices:
1. I didn’t give Colin an answer about going to the farm
2. Yes, I attempted to remove Nerissa’s ribbon
3. I went to the Lucky Pawn first
4. I didn’t send Toad to the farm
5. I agreed to talk to the Crooked Man first

After finishing chapter 4 I quickly browsed through a YT playthrough to recap & one of the comments by the host enlightened me to how much the range of references possibly extended beyond the obvious fairy tales/legend & classic novels.

E.g. 

The cab company was Oceanic Airlines which the host pointed out was the name of the company used in TV series Lost.
So far, I have only spotted the more obvious references mostly in the Business Office: the mirror of course, Aladdin’s lamp, the sword in the stone & is that the tree of life I wonder?

Karlok - 04 February 2024 10:16 PM

In Crane and Snow’s office there’s a clickable ship. Is that a reference to a fairy tale perhaps?

I can’t think of any fairy tales that feature a ship but immediately thought of the Hispaniola in Treasure Island. I did then think it looked too ethereal & was possibly the Flying Dutchman as you mentioned Karlok & was then convinced it was after seeing this dirigible in the office:

As you can see it has an eagle on the flag so did a little research to discover that the first airship was called The Eagle so is this a ‘flying ship’ to pair with the Flying Dutchman?

There is also a ship in a bottle in the Lucky Pawn & I spotted a horn in one of the showcases – Little Boy Blue’s?

I now wish I’d paid more attention to items featured earlier in the game.

About the mirror Shard, I’m sure I found that at the back of the Butcher’s place but in the recap it was found in the Lucky Pawn. Am I mistaken or does where it’s found depend on where you go first?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

chrissie - 14 February 2024 08:33 AM

About the mirror Shard, I’m sure I found that at the back of the Butcher’s place but in the recap it was found in the Lucky Pawn. Am I mistaken or does where it’s found depend on where you go first?

Exactly that, wherever you start, you’ll find it at the other one!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 14 February 2024 08:33 AM

I can’t think of any fairy tales that feature a ship but immediately thought of the Hispaniola in Treasure Island. I did then think it looked too ethereal & was possibly the Flying Dutchman as you mentioned Karlok & was then convinced it was after seeing this dirigible in the office:

Wow, how did you produce that pic? It’s the same flying ship I posted but seen from the other side. How did you get over there? If that’s Bigby in the background (hard to tell)  it’s a total mystery to me. 

As you can see it has an eagle on the flag so did a little research to discover that the first airship was called The Eagle so is this a ‘flying ship’ to pair with the Flying Dutchman?

Interesting, thanks. I love that kind of info on details.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 15 February 2024 01:28 PM

Wow, how did you produce that pic? It’s the same flying ship I posted but seen from the other side. How did you get over there? If that’s Bigby in the background (hard to tell)  it’s a total mystery to me.

You see the airship for a fraction of a second just as Bigby is entering the office after visiting the Lucky Pawn & the Butcher shop

I just checked your pic (post 71, page 75) & it’s a different ship so I thought maybe (as you mentioned it was clickable) it morphed until I came across this scene on YT

There are two different vessels there with ‘your’ sailing ship just visible in the top left & ‘my’ airship to the right above Snow.

One of the things I realised was that I forgot to look up when I actually played which is possibly how I missed the same scene of the ship you posted Karlok.

Karlok - 05 February 2024 09:26 PM

The entire background in the office with the hanging man (what’s that about?) is sinister as hell.

I did briefly spot the hanging man in the YT footage which I missed in my playthrough. I know it’s an image often used on Tarot cards & there are Tarot cards on the office desk so perhaps that’s the connection?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Two ships!  Cool I did notice the one above Snow but assumed it was “my” ship (yes, you have to look up to see the cut scene) which at some point flies off the screen to the right. I’ll have to pay close attention in Episode 4, which I haven’t finished yet.

@Ironcretin: You were 100% right about Jack. I did click on your link when you posted it but didn’t want to read the info on Jack in the comics, so as not to spoil my own fun because I plan to read more comic issues later. But in the end I did anyway. It can be argued that Willingham combined different Jacks in a roundabout way, but there can be no doubt that it’s Jack Horner both in the game and in the comics.

PS: The hanging man on the Tarot card is hanging upside down. I don’t think that’s the connection.

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

@Karlok: Yes, but they seem to play it fast and loose with Jack in the comics. The Wiki lists these aliases: Jack B. Nimble[1] Jack Candle[2] Jack Frost[1] Jack Giantslayer[3] Jack of Hearts Jack of the Apes[4] Jack of the Tales[1] Jack o’ Lantern[3] Jack the Giant-Killer[1] John Trick[5] Little Jack Horner[6] Smilin’ Jack Candle
So…. yeah! Whew! I reckon the Giant-Killer was the time he that climbed the beanstalk! Or he’s a shit-talker. If you went to the Pawn shop in episode 4 he gets a lot more screen time!

A few screenshot details I noticed in episode 4.

The Trip Trap is right next to the Lucky Pawn! Noticed this and screen capped it as Bigby and the Woodsman were talking out front.

There is another boat in Episode 4, but inside a bottle. Really not enough details to tell what it is.

Saw the sword in the stone a few episodes back at the main office. Screen capped it now.

Image Attachments

download_(1).jpgdownload_(2).jpgdownload_(3).jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

A couple more details:

Nerissa smokes “Shorette Slims” cigarettes. A quick google search revealed “They’re named after Episode 1 writer Pierre Shorette, who has a nasty cigar habit.” https://community.telltale.com/discussion/72027/nerissa-smoking-huff-puffs

There is a hanged person dangling from the tree in the back of the office… Because… What!?

Also, seen these posters before, but Dragonwing? Anyone have any insight on this band?

Image Attachments

download.jpgdownload_(4).jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Oh, and I liked Episode 4, feels like a bit of a relief to get some more answers. Forgot a lot of this from my first playthrough. Also forgot that The Crooked Man’s symbol is a torture device…

My choices:

1. I decided NOT to send Colin to the farm. It sounds like a pretty awful place, tbh. My mind has filled in that it’s basically a concentration camp…
2. I did not try to remove the ribbon. I was worried she’d be decapitated by it, not even kidding.
3. I also went to the Lucky Pawn first! And, consequently, my Book of Fables is now complete. I really enjoy the Lucky Pawn more than the butcher. Can’t remember what happens if you do butcher first? With the Lucky Pawn first you go to both locations, but only meet Johann at the butcher.
4. I didn’t send Toad to the farm as well. I gave him Crane’s money if that every matters.
5. I said that I’m bringing him in. This was my only strong minority choice this episode - only 8.9% of players chose this.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top