• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #82: The Dream Machine

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Welcome to our community playthrough of

The game, created by Anders Gustafsson and Erik Zaring, was released in 6 chapters from 2010 to 2017 and is now available as a full game from GOG, Steam, Humble Bundle, and Itch.io.  Here at AG, chapter 6 won the 2017 Best Episodic Silver Aggie Award, and it has had very good reviews over the years.

The game has a variety of puzzle types, and the dialogue is text only.  The player often has options for different responses, but they don’t affect the ultimate outcome.  I suggest going through all the dialogue choices, simply because you’ll get more information that way.

The game has autosave, but players can also make their own saves.  The game menu is in the upper right hand corner with the usual choices.

Let me know when you’re ready to go, and if you’ve played any or all of the chapters.  If you would like to see how the game runs, go ahead and play the first relatively short scene in Chapter 1.  Stop after the scene changes, and you turn off the loud sound.  If most people check in, we should be able to continue chapter 1 tomorrow.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Thanks Lady K for starting this CPT!

I have never played The Dream Machine before. I have installed my Steam version, and after solving a problem with McAfee detecting a virus in the file steamwrapper.exe (false alarm), the game is running fine.

I will try to play that short scene in Chapter 1 tonight.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just reinstalled the game (from GOG) & it looks like it was about this time last year that I played the full game for the first time. It’s been such a busy year I have forgotten a lot of it but I know it’s an interesting enough game to play again so soon!

I’ve played though the first part & turned off the noise!

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

I am in, it is a shame I only played it once and over the years, from 2011 to 2017, with each release, picking up, I would love to give it another try

A1

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ok, I played the intro at the island and I turned off the loud sound. Art it’s great! Short time for reading subtitles though.

I am ready to continue.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

walas, you can adjust the subtitles reading time at options

A1

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Thank you very much. As mouse wheel didn’t work in “Stteings”, I didn’t realize I could move along the scroll bar.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

I have bumped my installation up from my cheap laptop to the Steam Deck, happily attached to a nice widescreen monitor.

I actually started my journey with this one last year and got a good way into chapter 2, until I saw that this was a potential CPT candidate and decided to move on to other things.  Glad to see it is finally primed and ready to launch.

Didn’t know much about the game before I bought it, and was somewhat jolted when the tone of it quickly turned rather adult, especially given the art style.  But so far it’s been an interesting departure from the typical point-n-click.

I’ll probably watch a play through on the first chapter to refresh my memory on the details.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I considered joining the CPT but decided against it. So many newer games I want to play and I’ve already played The Dream Machine. Definitely belongs in the category “different” - my favorite category. Lots of interesting stuff to discuss. And some creative puzzles. Have fun!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

What is it with the sound almost everyone is saying they have turned off the ‘loud sound’, I couldn’t find any issues with the sound.. so far, is there something am I missing here?

A1

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Luckloser,
The sound comes at the end of the island scene.  It’s the alarm clock.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Aha, ok I’ve been there already, wasn’t that loud/disturbing, but thanks LadyK

I ain’t a luck-loser, on the contrary, I am a winner by default
just kidding LadyK, I know it’s a typo, but I’ve been waiting to say that line since I joined Grin Wink

A1

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just didn’t want to spoil the beginning for those who haven’t played the game yet.

We haven’t heard from IronCretin and Rtrooney yet, but since that first section is so short, I think we can proceed with Chapter 1 without anyone getting too far behind.  So go ahead and explore, talk to your wife, and meet the people you can.  Let’s make Wed., March 27 the target date for finishing this chapter.  Of course it can be adjusted either way.  Just post your progress.   

Stop when you reach Chapter 2, just after entering the caretaker’s office. 

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

luckyloser - 23 March 2024 11:28 AM

I ain’t a luck-loser, on the contrary, I am a winner by default
just kidding LadyK, I know it’s a typo, but I’ve been waiting to say that line since I joined Grin Wink

Sorry, LL!  It’s funny, but I edited my first mistake, which was Lucyloser. Grin I can type, but brain-to-finger signals do get tangled.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Have the game loaded but haven’t had a chance to play it yet. Maybe tonight! FWIW, first time playing for me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I turned off the alarm clock, so I guess I am free to start Chapter 1.

FWIW, this is tax season in the US. That entails multiple meeting with our accountant. I also have two Dr. appointments this week. I don’t want to fall behind early, but that remains a possibility unless this chapter is a relatively short one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top