• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games and Steam Greenlight?

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t know very much about this topic, but was wondering how beneficial it is for adventure games or any games to be sold on Steam. It is my understanding that being on Steam vastly improves a game’s potential for commercial success. I have heard that adventure games (particularly more traditional point and click style games) face a harder time getting approved through Greenlight due to biases against the genre, etc. Nevertheless, Replay’s new Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded managed to get Greenlit. How significant do you think LSL’s getting Greenlit will be for its sales? As a big Larry fan and backer of Larry Reloaded, I’m always happy to see the game’s marketability expand.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

LSLR will most likely do most of its sales through Steam. There was some article a while back, in which an indie maker compared different platforms. Steam covered over 50% of his sales and of what I’ve read the figures are similar to most devs.

Edit: I found the article:

http://www.coldbeamgames.com/3/post/2012/11/november-26th-2012.html

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yowsers. Thanks for the info. Why don’t more developers put more resources into campaigning to get Greenlit? I understand that Asylum made it too.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2006-01-29

PM

I think it is very important for a game to get on Steam.  I remember Dave Gilbert of Wadjet Eye Games saying something like more people bought the Blackwell games in its first week of existence on Steam compared to sales at other locations since the first game had originally been released (I think mainly through his website)

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

That should be an incentive to us all to help vote for games that we don’t necessarily intend to play ourselves. We gotta help each other out, no matter where our preferences lie Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Games that don’t rely on selling physical boxed copies (i.e. most indie games, and nearly ALL adventure games), rely on digital downloads for revenue.
Steam accounts for 70% of all PC game digital downloads.

EVERY game that wants to sell well, will benefit from Steam, so getting Greenlit is going to be very important for all of them…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Quest1 - 20 March 2013 06:53 AM

Yowsers. Thanks for the info. Why don’t more developers put more resources into campaigning to get Greenlit? I understand that Asylum made it too.

I think that part of the answer is that Steam were always mysterious in the past about their criteria for taking games on and to some extent that remains with Greenlight, although popular support is obviously the key.

From Steam Greenlight: 

How many votes does a game need to get selected?

The specific number of votes doesn’t matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight—we need customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam.

We’re going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to hit a specific number of votes.

Therefore it must be difficult to know how to “campaign” except for general publicity, which hopefully they are doing anyway. [/personal opinion]

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 20 March 2013 12:58 PM

Therefore it must be difficult to know how to “campaign” except for general publicity, which hopefully they are doing anyway. [/personal opinion]

Making a game that’s actually good is always a good start…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

... but in my submission that would fall under the “game making” part rather than the “publicity campaign” part! Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

If people find adventures on Greenlight, do make sure to add them here:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/788/

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2009-12-05

PM

I like buying games on Steam. They are always available anytime I want to play them. It is very useful to me since I lost almost my entire collection of games when my apartment flooded in Sandy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top