• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

games in easy english

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Yeah, I have the same problem with Carol. I play them for the scenery mostly, when I feel like traveling and there’s no vacation in sight… Smile

And I was just about to recommend Kheops studio games as well. As far as I remember most of them use a very simple English.

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 11 March 2013 10:25 AM

... doesn’t have a lot of speech or writing. Same goes for Bad Mojo.

You haven’t played Bad Mojo, have you?
It’s full of difficult to understand spoken clues (yeah, no subtitles there) and various written stuff (bills, notes, certificates, newspaper articles… to say nothing of Roger’s (hand-written, half-burned) diary).
You need to know English pretty well (much better than miv does) to tackle (and fully understand) Bad Mojo.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

What Zobraks said!

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

The Dig - that’s true: it was one of my first english adventures.

Bad Mojo: i’m with the great zobraks and Fien.
The riddles and poems drove me crazy.
But i liked it nontheless.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Fien - 10 March 2013 07:14 PM

It’s true that Daedalic has used German translators, but that doesn’t make it good practice. Games, books, movies should always be translated by a native speaker of the target language, not the source language. Fluency is essential.

I agree that you should always use a translator that is a native speaker of the target language, but the fact that it isn’t always the case, often has the side effect of making it easier to understand for people that isn’t a native speaker of that language.

Also the mere fact that is translated, can also mean that there is less cleaver word puns etc, which again makes it easier to understand. There are of course also exceptions.

Edit: Games also stand out from movies and books etc, as they are not made exclusively for the American and British marked. The developers know or at least should be aware of, that there will also be at lot of players playing the game in English, that hasn’t got English as 1st language. And i believe that this is something a non-English developer has more focus on.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Iznogood - 11 March 2013 02:21 PM

I agree that you should always use a translator that is a native speaker of the target language, but the fact that it isn’t always the case, often has the side effect of making it easier to understand for people that isn’t a native speaker of that language.

Sometimes, yes. Depends on so many things, especially the type of text. Hard to generalize. But it’s only true if the non-native translator is pretty good. A bad translation will have the opposite effect.

Also the mere fact that is translated, can also mean that there is less cleaver word puns etc, which again makes it easier to understand. There are of course also exceptions.

Puns, puns… oh yes. I’d like to meet the American native speaker who would be able to translate Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon into German. Naughty

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 11 March 2013 05:38 PM

Puns, puns… oh yes. I’d like to meet the American native speaker who would be able to translate Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon into German. Naughty

The same goes for the German native speaker who would be able to translate CCS into German… Wink

Puns are by far the hardest things to translate…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 11 March 2013 05:41 PM

The same goes for the German native speaker who would be able to translate CCS into German… Wink

It would be impossible for an American translator, but not for a German one.

Puns are by far the hardest things to translate…

Poetry is harder.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

A bad translation will have the opposite effect.

Ironically sometimes bad translations can actually be easier to understand. Not that i’m advocating bad translations.

Fien - 11 March 2013 05:45 PM

Poetry is harder.

Which is why it is not referred to as translating, but as rewriting a poem, at least where i come from.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Iznogood - 11 March 2013 07:54 PM

Ironically sometimes bad translations can actually be easier to understand. Not that i’m advocating bad translations.

Sorry, but I don’t agree. If it’s a bad translation the foreign language of the translator will come shining through, so to speak. Wink 

Fien - 11 March 2013 05:45 PM

Poetry is harder.

Which is why it is not referred to as translating, but as rewriting a poem, at least where i come from.

Interesting. Where are you from?

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zobraks - 11 March 2013 10:57 AM
Oscar - 11 March 2013 10:25 AM

... doesn’t have a lot of speech or writing. Same goes for Bad Mojo.

You haven’t played Bad Mojo, have you?
It’s full of difficult to understand spoken clues (yeah, no subtitles there) and various written stuff (bills, notes, certificates, newspaper articles… to say nothing of Roger’s (hand-written, half-burned) diary).
You need to know English pretty well (much better than miv does) to tackle (and fully understand) Bad Mojo.

I thought I’d played/watched someone else play enough of it to know it’s just crawling around doing a few non-verbal puzzles. Obviously not!

But yeah, I really need to get round to playing the whole thing one day. If I can get it working on my PC   Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 11 March 2013 09:35 PM

But yeah, I really need to get round to playing the whole thing one day. If I can get it working on my PC   Shifty Eyed

the redux version shall work no doubt

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

its kind of Related.

does anybody knew if there is an option to play king’s quest 6 with subtitles and speech voices at the same time? the game allow you to choose each one of them but not   together. (what a strange ideas has those who made games in that time? why make the life difficult? I mean , in little big adventure,for example, you need to be   a “computer games dr.” just to save game.)
there is something I can do, patch or something? (scummVM doesn’t help in this problem)

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

miv - 12 March 2013 06:09 AM

... subtitles and speech voices at the same time? the game allow you to choose each one of them but not   together. (what a strange ideas has those who made games in that time?

I guess their line of thinking was: “Who else except the stone-deaf people would want to use subtitles in such a beautifully-voiced game that we made?” () I (too) really hate those AGs where you have to choose between voices and subtitles.

I often wonder whether the game designers/publishers of the English-spoken AGs are aware that there are some non-native English speakers out there who (buy &) play the games they make.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 11 March 2013 07:54 PM

I once watched a Japanese film that had the worst translation ever, it was like it was translated with Babelfish (and this was 10 years ago).
It was hilarious. It was even better than that Zero Wing game translation:

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top