• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Telltale’s Interactive Movie Games - An Abandonment of Adventure Gaming?

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Much has been written about Telltale Games’ apparent decision to embrace an interactive movie style of gameplay, specifically one that draws inspiration from the early 1980’s QTE-based Dragon’s Lair, and to turn away from adventure gaming and open, explorable environments and clever puzzles.

What do you all think of Telltale’s look-to-the-past strategy of limiting interactivity and exploration in order to put more focus on a linear story with many non-playable cutscenes? Do you guys enjoy the interactive movies more than adventure games like Day of the Tentacle, Gabriel Knight and Grim Fandango? Enjoy both?

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’d like them to continue making more traditional adventure games AS WELL AS making the games that make them the most amount of money (i.e Walking Dead) That, however, is me being incredibly naive. I suspect the company has moved on. It’s on record that their next game, Fables, will be doing many the same things TWD did. Oh, well.

I’m slightly…underwhelmed with the direction they’re going, but it won’t stop me buying their future games. Unless they start putting stuff out that’s completely unrecognisable from an adventure game, but I don’t think that’s in their plans from what I’ve read of Dan Connors in interviews.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Looking back, to some extent the writing has been on the wall almost since the start. In interviews and the like they’ve always said their main focus is on storytelling. That’s not to say they don’t care about gameplay as such, but when having to choose between improving gameplay or improving storytelling they’ll always favor better storytelling.
The Walking Dead is the culmination of this approach. It’s downright amazing for what it is and I enjoy it greatly, but it also makes me think it’s better to dust off the old “Interactive Fiction” moniker than to refer to it as an adventure game.
I’ll be keeping an eye on Telltale and if they put out another hit like TWD I’ll probably but it at some point; as I said, it’s greatly enjoyable regardless of whether you want to classify it as a game. At the same time, my old fanboyism for them has largely waned and I’ll be looking more to Daedalic and Double Fine for my adventure game fix.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Quest1 - 16 March 2013 04:00 AM

What do you all think of Telltale’s look-to-the-past strategy of limiting interactivity and exploration in order to put more focus on a linear story with many non-playable cutscenes?

If we’re talking about QTEs then I think they’re aping a horrible trend that takes away player agency.

However, a game that is driven by dialogue options? I’m sort of okay with that provided that those choices feel meaningful. I feel a bit cheated in games where the game presents an illusion of choice but is really leading you down a contrived heavily linear pathway. Heavy Rain? More like Heavily Linear Pain, amirite? ...hello?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I wrote something similar on a subject.

The thing is, Telltale is a company which wants to reach ALL gamers, not only adventure gamers. Given the fact that the computer is featured in almost every home nowadays, the “average gamer” is not the one who will solve tricky puzzles and interactive movie format suits much better for that strategy.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

Well I certainly enjoy adventure games more than interactive movies. I hate when you have to press some button on the keyboard like crazy just to be able to climb the ladder or escape from some situation (Jurassic park is a perfect example of this). I don´t see the point of putting such things in games, it´s tedious. That being sad i loved the walking dead because of the story and characters and certainly not the gameplay. I really enjoyed Sam and Max and Tales of Monkey Island, and would like to see more of those games. We will see what will they do in the future with Kings Quest because that game should be made as a traditional adventure game.I wouldn´t mind more games with a gameplay style of TWD if they also make games like Sam and Max and their prior games that actually had puzzles, even though they were not difficult.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

What do you all think of Telltale’s look-to-the-past strategy of limiting interactivity and exploration in order to put more focus on a linear story with many non-playable cutscenes?

I hate it

diego - 16 March 2013 08:15 AM

The thing is, Telltale is a company which wants to reach ALL gamers, not only adventure gamers. Given the fact that the computer is featured in almost every home nowadays, the “average gamer” is not the one who will solve tricky puzzles and interactive movie format suits much better for that strategy.

That is true, and i wish them all the best in that quest. The problem is that i’m not the “average gamer”, but just an adventure gamer Smile (even though i also play other types of games)

The simple truth is that the latest games from Telltale hasn’t appealed to me at all. In their quest to reach a larger audience, they have also lost some of their previous core audience. Well at least they have lost me.

Regarding Kings Quest then it is more than questionable if they will actually make it, they are most likely just waiting for the right moment to announce that it is cancelled, at least that is the news on the grapevine. After the success of TWD it is naive to think that Telltale will also continue to make traditional adventure games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I don’t think it’s an abandonment of adventure gaming. There have long been adventure games of all difficulties and complexities, and I always accepted them as part of the genre.

But I don’t think it’s the way forward, either. There is an obvious need for the genre to evolve if it’s going to grow, but removing gameplay instead of fixing it isn’t a very good solution. Games like Portal 2 showed how challenging puzzles can be immensely satisfying to a mainstream audience, but they need to be a lot more polished and playtested than the typical adventure game fare.

Devs need to make games that make players think, but still figure out the solution. That “aha” moment is what drives puzzle-based games (in all genres), and too often adventure games rob players of that reward by being either too obtuse or too obvious. Now that play-testing has evolved so much, I feel like they have better tools to get these things just right, but most adventure devs are too rinky dink to actually have that kind of testing.

There’s also a need to figure out how to make an adventure game with larger areas and more exploration, and just a modern 3D presentation like people expect, and still have it make sense as a game. I feel like Dreamfall Chapters is trying to do that, and the Tex Murphy series tried by standards of their day, but there’s not enough work in this direction.

I feel like real adventure games can be mainstream again and still have gameplay, but they’re going to have to shake off the old-school baggage.

Iznogood - 16 March 2013 10:18 AM

Regarding Kings Quest then it is more than questionable if they will actually make it, they are most likely just waiting for the right moment to announce that it is cancelled, at least that is the news on the grapevine.

Does it count as cancellation when the game was never in development in the first place?

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Once again someone misuses the term ‘Adventure Gaming’. Seriously, how hard is it to say ‘Abandonment of Sierra Online/Lucasarts adventures’? Last I checked, Adventure games aren’t defined by one design style.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’d like them to continue to make both interactive movies and classical adventures, though I’d wish they would give the 2D format a chance when making cartoon adventures…

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Frogacuda - 16 March 2013 10:31 AM

I don’t think it’s an abandonment of adventure gaming. There have long been adventure games of all difficulties and complexities, and I always accepted them as part of the genre.

^ This.

Adventure games are the most diverse games there are. No other genre has this amount of different styles and gameplay methods. The (successful) path that Telltale has now taken is just in one branch of the dozens available within adventure gaming.
Don’t like it? Plenty of other choices within the genre, imo. Whether it’s Myst-clones, or classic point-and-clicks, or interactive fiction or games that push the boundaries of adventure gaming… You’ll always find your pick, since all these ‘subgenres’ (if you want to call them that) are producing new games every year…

Telltale’s new direction isn’t abandoning adventure gaming, it’s broadening it instead…

Enjoy both?

Yup, I enjoy both.

I’ve always liked a good story above all else (which is why I enjoy visual novels so much). Gameplay is secondary for me (which is not to say that I don’t like good gameplay, of course). Telltale wants to favour good storytelling instead of good gameplay? Fine by me.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I don’t think it’s an abandonment of adventure gaming.

Yeah, the title should read “Abandonment” in quotations, because interactive movies are adventure games’ offspring from the dawn of time, and there’s nothing wrong with it. BTW, Wikipedia “decided” that Back to the Future is the last non-interactive movie by Telltale so far, as Jurassic Park/The Walking Dead are listed here.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I don’t like the term “interactive movie” for these games. That term can mean a lot of things, and not all of them fall into the same genre.

The Tex Murphy games (even the early ones) were billed as “interactive movies” and were very much an attempt to fuse those media, and they’re excellent adventure games with a lot of depth and gameplay.

Meanwhile, stuff like Dragon’s Lair is also an “interactive movie” and is in no way an adventure game at all.

I wrote an article on the term back in my IGN Retro days. I think “interactive movie” has always been and continues to be an attractive idea to a lot of people, it just carries a bit of a stigma now thanks to the FMV craze of the 90s.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 16 March 2013 04:21 PM

BTW, Wikipedia “decided” that Back to the Future is the last non-interactive movie by Telltale so far, as Jurassic Park/The Walking Dead are listed here.

Yeah but Wikipedia also mix up interactive move and FMV games, and list games like Toonstruck and the Tex Murphy games as interactive movies, so it isn’t really a reliable list, even if i personally agree that TWD is more of an interactive movie than an adventure game.

Edit: just saw Frogacudas post and i agree that the term interactive movie is not precisely defined.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

True, I realized that, but I’d say that whoever made that list was (wrongfully) assured that any game with live actors is an interactive movie. But there’re not many “non-live actors” games on that list, though.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

But I don’t think it’s the way forward, either. There is an obvious need for the genre to evolve if it’s going to grow, but removing gameplay instead of fixing it isn’t a very good solution. Games like Portal 2 showed how challenging puzzles can be immensely satisfying to a mainstream audience, but they need to be a lot more polished and playtested than the typical adventure game fare.

Devs need to make games that make players think, but still figure out the solution. That “aha” moment is what drives puzzle-based games (in all genres), and too often adventure games rob players of that reward by being either too obtuse or too obvious. Now that play-testing has evolved so much, I feel like they have better tools to get these things just right, but most adventure devs are too rinky dink to actually have that kind of testing.

There’s also a need to figure out how to make an adventure game with larger areas and more exploration, and just a modern 3D presentation like people expect, and still have it make sense as a game. I feel like Dreamfall Chapters is trying to do that, and the Tex Murphy series tried by standards of their day, but there’s not enough work in this direction.

I feel like real adventure games can be mainstream again and still have gameplay, but they’re going to have to shake off the old-school baggage.

I’m more concerned for them to become better as opposed to more “mainstream” (even though I myself am DELIGHTED to play games like Book of Unwritten Tales…I feel there’s room for both old-school stuff and new) and so I feel Stacking was a brilliant example of evolving the adventure genre- sticking to the spirit of adventure games without adding combat or death or stealth that Tex Murphy/Dreamfall (the original)did. I loved the exporatory parts of the Tex games, but those sneaking bits and those bits where picking the wrong dialogue choice killed you were NOT very enjoyable to me. But I guess that’s just a personal thing…;) 

I don’t know how to take a game like Stacking and apply it more broadly, but I want someone to try.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top