• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ron Gilbert leaves Double Fine

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Dag - 15 March 2013 04:47 AM

Yes, I was being serious, but what I said was purely based on Rons latest comment that was linked in the OP, not on how much Ron and Tim likes to stroke each others hair, because I have no knowledge of such things. All I was trying to express with my post was that I found it strange of him not to give any other reason for leaving than that his game was done, because obviously, that’s gonna lead to speculation. If you find such a reaction incredible, you need to get out more Tongue

You are jumping to conclusions and seeing things that aren’t there. You also claim the two are total opposites, despite the fact that their views on adventure games are quite similar and well-documented.

It’s not necessary to invent drama in a situation where there is none. It’s quite common for designers to work with many different developers and not to have exclusive, long-term relationships with only one.

The Gilbert post sounded perfectly normal to me. He sounded just like he did in all his other posts over the last year or so. He’s not one to go on long personal explanations of various things on his blog. He thanked DF, Tim and everyone else and said he looked forward to future projects. Absolutely nothing in the post came off like, “so long, suckers!” I find it absurd and disappointing that people would mischaracterize his perfectly normal and polite blog post in that way.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

^ I tend to agree with this.

I think the entire situation is overexaggerated here. The only thing that comes to mind when reading this thread is “yeah, so?”. Ron can do as he pleases, without a need for us to speculate on his reasons, and at no point have I been given even the slightest hint that things aren’t well between him and Double Fine or him and Tim Schafer.
You’re all making a mountain out of a molehill, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

As I said, I also think that Gilbert leaving DF doesn’t have to mean anything “bad”. However, it’s still a bit awkward timing to do that - meaning before the DFA is completed.

Not to mention that I like Ron’s definition of adventure games, so if this means he’s less involved in the project that would suck.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

I’m not too concerned with Gilberts depature because Tim Schafer made some pretty good adventure games without Ron before (you might have heared about one or two of those).

Furthermore, I think Ron and Tim have somewhat different definitions and goals regarding the modern adventure genre and seeing that both are two of the most legendary adventure game designers and thereby naturally prone to some sort of “alpha male syndrom”, I think it’s best to keep them more or less seperated during the design process - with one at the helm and the other as mere advisory. (And they stated on the DFA forums that Gilbert has and will play the new builds and give some advise for Reds.)

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Quest1 - 15 March 2013 05:19 AM

You are jumping to conclusions and seeing things that aren’t there.

Not at all, you are misunderstanding me. I’m not concluding or seeing anything, and that’s exactly my point: after that blogpost I’m only left with questions (no answers whatsoever), so I’m pointing out that not giving a reason for leaving other than that his game is done can lead to speculation, and therefore I find it strange of him not to elaborate upon it. I’m certainly not sitting here convinced that his only intention was to exploit DoubleFine to get his game made, Ron does not strike me as a sleazy person at all. I’m just saying that his statement COULD make it LOOK LIKE Ron had no interest in DoubleFine other than to make his game. So to avoid confusion and speculation, it could be a good idea to give some background for his desicion to leave, no?

Is it still possible to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what I’m trying to say? Confused I suppose I could simplify it further and just say “Hmm, I wonder why he left”, cause that’s where I’m at. Not that this really bothers me in the first place, I was just pondering loudly, which I’ve experienced more than once can be a dangerous thing to do in these forums Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I don’t see what’s wrong with just being at DoubleFine to make The Cave, Dag? People come and go in other companies as well. Working there for two years is pretty decent. If The Cave had been a title that took 3 months to make and he would then have left, that would have been slightly weird, but working on something for two years and then moving on afterwards isn’t weird at all.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 15 March 2013 01:26 PM

I don’t see what’s wrong with just being at DoubleFine to make The Cave, Dag?

Neither do I. Ron Gilbert joining DF to make an adventure game was a fantastic thing!  It’s just that the news that he had left DF was for me sudden and unexpected, so I was simply wondering what the reason might have been. That’s all.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-02-11

PM

I guess I liked the idea of Schafer and Gilbert working together but it does seem like Ron was just there to make the Cave - which is perfectly fine. I had hoped he’d be more involved in REDS but, according to the backer videos, he never really had more than a consulting role anyway.

Well, I just wish him luck wherever he goes.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top