• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ron Gilbert leaves Double Fine

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I was hoping he would stick for another adventure game but now he is going to do a Musical Match-3 (another one…) Pirate RPG for iOS, but that’s probably just a little side project

http://grumpygamer.com/main

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Pretty much what I expected, but sad nonetheless. I was hoping he’d chip in a little more on DFA now that his work on The Cave was over.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I don’t think he has to be officially at Double Fine in order to help with DFA, at least I think/hope he’ll continue to work on it (even if The Cave was not exactly right up my alley).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

What I mean by chipping in means actively involved with the design, not just giving pointers here and there as a glorified tester, which I’m sure he’ll do.

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2011-06-02

PM

When he originally joined Double Fine I remember reading that he’d actually been working out of the DF office on his projects prior to that, so he may still be around here and there, even if he’s not heading up a game being made by the studio.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hmm. No mention of why he’s leaving, other than that The Cave is finished, so now it’s “time to move on”. To me that reads a little like: “Thanks for making my game… so long suckers!”

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

This comes as a bit of a shock to me personally mostly because I listened to a pretty fun interview with the man himself just yesterday and he sounded happy with Double Fine and Tim’s willingness to help him do The Cave (apparently, Ron has had the idea for The Cave since even before Maniac Mansion). He did also sound tired now when I think about it. Hm.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

TerminusEst - 12 March 2013 02:50 PM

This comes as a bit of a shock to me personally mostly because I listened to a pretty fun interview with the man himself just yesterday and he sounded happy with Double Fine and Tim’s willingness to help him do The Cave…

I don’t think he was unhappy at Double Fine. It’s probably a combination of A) he had a side-project lined up already and B) DF didn’t have another publishing deal waiting in the wings for a new Ron game.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-04-09

PM

The Cave is a beautiful “snack” and not an adventure game. But it is a really good one. No surprise here, since Gilbert was not a DF member. It would be great though if they would announce a long time partnership for game develpment.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

That’s too bad. I was hoping they would let him helm a DFA 2 or something.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Sounded to me like the plan was always that ron was really only at double fine for the cave. Of course the tone kind of changed with DFA, but looks like the plan did not.
As an adventure fan, im not upset about this… i havnt heard ron say a lot of things about adventure games that i liked.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Dag - 12 March 2013 11:50 AM

To me that reads a little like: “Thanks for making my game… so long suckers!”

I think i see it the same way ... ron gilbert had always seemed to me as the total opposite of tim schafer but they had just completed each other at a certain time; tim the artist who might risk everything for doing what he loves and Ron like the manager always play it safe and much more commercial, so it doesn’t really surprise me .
so i would like to think of it as there was no place for that manager and to work under that artist whom he had once discovered/employed (way back) and to admit that DF future (now) lies in the hands of tim   Mini Frown

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ron never had a huge part in REDS and I don’t think it ever was intented that his involvement would be anything more than in form of feedback and consulting. He was at Double Fine designing the Cave which he did and as the design process of REDS is well under its way, I don’t think it would have been easy to try to shoe horn him in the project as well.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I remember in the original double fine adventure kickstarter pitch video Ron shutting the door when Tim said he would help them, maybe it wasn’t a joke Smile

I’m sure if another interesting project comes up they can work together again.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

tobacos - 14 March 2013 04:41 PM
Dag - 12 March 2013 11:50 AM

To me that reads a little like: “Thanks for making my game… so long suckers!”

I think i see it the same way ... ron gilbert had always seemed to me as the total opposite of tim schafer but they had just completed each other at a certain time

Are you serious? They seemed pretty much on the same page with many things, especially with their views on adventure gaming (views I totally agree with, by the way), from what I could tell.

I think you people are reading too much into this.

I am sure they will work together again.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yes, I was being serious, but what I said was purely based on Rons latest comment that was linked in the OP, not on how much Ron and Tim likes to stroke each others hair, because I have no knowledge of such things. All I was trying to express with my post was that I found it strange of him not to give any other reason for leaving than that his game was done, because obviously, that’s gonna lead to speculation. If you find such a reaction incredible, you need to get out more Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top