• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

games in easy english

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Iznogood - 12 March 2013 02:19 PM

Denmark, and ironically “rewriting” might in itself be a bad translation Smile
I wasn’t quite sure what the English word is, or if there even is an English word for it. The Danish word is “gendigte” where “gen” simply means “re” and “digte” can both mean “making something up” and “poetry”.

So you have a special word for translating/rewriting poetry? Nice! We use the same word for poem as the Germans: Gedicht, derived from the Latin verb dicere I suppose. Close to your gendigte, although our “ge” does not mean “re”. You know, with all those popular Danish thrillers on tv (Sarah Lund c.s.), I sometimes felt that if only I could adjust the settings of my hearing… turn the vowels a bit to the right, the consonants to the left, the intonation down… then I would be able to understand Danish perfectly. Smile 

Timovieman:

I mean, there are a LOT of differences between Dutch Dutch and Belgian Dutch (Flemish), despite Holland and Belgium being right next to each other. A while ago, I used a Flemish proverb that Fien didn’t know, and I’m sure she uses some daily that I don’t know.

Ha, yes I remember! But in the context I immediately understood what it meant. (For Dutchies: the Flemish expression was “aan zijn adem te ruiken…”)

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Fien - 13 March 2013 09:27 PM

You know, with all those popular Danish thrillers on tv (Sarah Lund c.s.), I sometimes felt that if only I could adjust the settings of my hearing… turn the vowels a bit to the right, the consonants to the left, the intonation down… then I would be able to understand Danish perfectly. Smile

He He - I think i know exactly what you mean, when i hear Dutch i also fell like i ought to be able to understand at least some of it.

**Anecdote Alert**
Once in Schiphol airport a seller started talking to us in Dutch, when she realized her mistake, she told us that she had heard us talk in Danish, and was convinced we had talked Dutch, even though she couldn’t hear the actual words.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

miv - 13 March 2013 08:56 AM

I know he was. the israel’ translators translate mainly the “almost without text” games.
like goblins and all the other games of the same company. and: simon the sorcerer. and disc world 2. god I don’t know why disc world. “disc world” screenplay   have a lot of complicated meanings. and there is like 50 games i’d like too play first. 

yet. they translated discworld.   

and its right. loom have a very little language. and it was translated too.

Yeah, you have to keep in mind the period this was done in. The Goblins 3 translation, for instance, was borderline criminal (they spoil some of the puzzles right there in the text), but it was done by someone under-qualified and underpaid so they could give the game away for free with the then-popular Hebrew gaming magazine (Wiz). Same for the Simon the Sorcerer translation, I think - back then there was just no regard for quality, the magazine itself was pretty awful too, nobody thought kids (games’ only audience, naturally) would know any better.

Anyway, to answer your question: I learned English from King’s Quest 1, a Hebrew-English dictionary and a lot of patience. I don’t think it was a good idea, in retrospect - partly because KQ1 is a pretty lousy game, but also because parsers can’t teach you grammar, only extend your vocabulary. So, you could try some parser-based games—I would recommend the early Legend titles, like Eric the Unready. They force you to form your thoughts in English, in a sense, which is beneficial for learning. But like others said, just watching TV/movies is probably better if you’re serious about learning.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top