• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

games in easy english

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

My first language is not English and I often tell people I polished my English by playing adventure games back in the day. So I feel somewhat qualified to throw my recommendations out there.

You mention the first Monkey Island game. You should definitely look into getting and playing the second and third as well. I can’t recommend the fourth one with clear conscience because of doubts both about its quality and about how simple (or culturally-independent) the language there is. Add Tales of Monkey Island there as well.

TimovieMan’s recommendations are great - the Simon the Sorcerer and the Indy games should be quite good for you too.

A list of games right off the top of my head that might be simple enough are Beneath a Steel Sky (maybe, free on GOG), the two Bone games, Dragonsphere (free on GOG), Flight of the Amazon Queen (free here), Full Throttle, Heart of China, the early King’s Quest games or their remakes (not sure about the later ones), Loom, Rise of the Dragon, the Syberia games, Teenagent (free on GOG)... And most of these games are pretty good as games as well. (I might misremember the language style in some of these game - hopefully, people will correct me)

But seriously, if you liked and understood The Longest Journey, the sky’s the limit for you. Your difficulties with Sam and Max and DoTT might come from the fact that their language is loaded with a lot of American cultural references which are not immediately accessible to non-Americans. Good luck!

TimovieMan - 10 March 2013 03:06 PM

Meh, I still win… Tongue Grin

Not to mention the difference in post quality!!!

On that list, I am between Marek and Agustin Cordes on one side and Emily Morganti on the other. Talk about being in distinguished company Grin

Edit: I second all Iznogood said while I was slowly typing the above post.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

zobraks - 10 March 2013 02:45 PM

Er… Post count?

I didn’t even know it was a competition, now i just have to post everything i can possibly think of in every single thread Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 10 March 2013 04:30 PM
zobraks - 10 March 2013 02:45 PM

Er… Post count?

I didn’t even know it was a competition, now i just have to post everything i can possibly think of in every single thread Wink

don’t believe everything Zobraks says Wink

TerminusEst - 10 March 2013 04:27 PM

Not to mention the difference in post quality!!!

On that list, I am between Marek and Agustin Cordes on one side and Emily Morganti on the other. Talk about being in distinguished company Grin

Oooh and here is another post

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Advie - 10 March 2013 01:21 PM
chrissie - 10 March 2013 01:10 PM

Hopefully someone will come along without english as their first language to help a lot more!

Hopefully .. Chrissie ?!
                  Pan

chrissie - 10 March 2013 01:40 PM

Hi Advie, I don’t know why you think that is so funny!

I think Advie was making fun of you based on the (completely groundless) idea that it’s wrong to use “hopefully” to mean “let’s hope that…” instead of just “in a hopeful way.” It’s just one of those language myths some people cling to.

You recommended children’s games - as a non 1st language speaking person you could surely stop taking the piss & be more constructive because you just don’t play children’s games (or do you?) so why can’t you be more helpful?

Actually, I think children’s games might be a good idea. Eco Quest, Pepper’s Adventures in Time, the Freddi Fish titles… Nice games with simple English.

And I wouldn’t stay away from comedy, either. In more cartoony, comedic games, the visuals can often help you understand what’s going on when you lose track of the dialog.

When I was first learning English, I played Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Quest for Glory, Kyrandia/Hand of Fate, Tex Murphy, Dagger of Amon Ra, Conquest of the Longbow, Leisure Suit Larry, Full Throttle, etc. Mainly, not knowing the language well just makes every game harder.

Simultaneous subtitles + spoken audio is a must - nowadays almost all adventure games have it, but that wasn’t the case back then - and it helps teach pronunciation as well.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

seagul - 10 March 2013 03:13 PM

If you have played all the games that are in Hebrew, perhaps you should choose the ones you liked the most and replay them in their english version.

^ This is a great suggestion, imo. If you played games that are worthy of a replay, that is.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

When I play games in French (and I’m NOT fluent in French—only took French classes in high school), I like having subtitles and conversations that pause until I click past them. That way they don’t disappear before I’m finished deciphering them—and I have time to consult a dictionary (or online translator) if there is some word or words that I don’t understand.

So maybe some of you can remember whether any of the adventure games you’ve played recently had this feature. Unfortunately most of the games I’ve played lately are not adventures, and the adventures I have played recently don’t pause the subtitles.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

crabapple - 10 March 2013 05:13 PM

When I play games in French (and I’m NOT fluent in French—only took French classes in high school), I like having subtitles and conversations that pause until I click past them. That way they don’t disappear before I’m finished deciphering them—and I have time to consult a dictionary (or online translator) if there is some word or words that I don’t understand.

So maybe some of you can remember whether any of the adventure games you’ve played recently had this feature. Unfortunately most of the games I’ve played lately are not adventures, and the adventures I have played recently don’t pause the subtitles.

Captain Morgan had subtitles that paused, and there are some where you can set the speed of the subtitles, unfortunately i can’t remember which.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

I was busy until now, and when I looked again   I was a very Surprised from the number of answerss. again I was surprised to see how many here are not speaking English as a first language.
I have no words to thank you all, Especially not an English words.    Content

I don’t think I’ll play children games. I learn English now in some other ways and I play AG in my free time, for fun, if I learn English too at the same time, well, I dont say no. If I’ll find that playing adventure game its helpful for my purpose of english study I’ll do that.

about the other recommends, I’ll try some , and thank you.

I see that everybody are very enjoy here, so don’t let me disturb you,  go on.  Content

and thank you all again, I’m happy you want help me.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

The Carol Reed games have quite simple English in my opinion. I am also not a native speaker but my English is quite good so I may be wrong. On the other hand, if you could follow TLJ these games should be doable for you. There is some reading involved in playing these games but the texts always stay on the screen as long as you want them to and the pronounciation of the people who speak is clear and they use short, easy to understand sentences. They do have a slight Swedish accent though (the games being from there) but nothing to be afraid of. They are subtitled as well, so even if they are hard to follow you can still understand what they are saying.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Iznogood - 10 March 2013 04:10 PM

Perhaps try some German games translated into English, people who don’t have English as first language usually use simpler words, just like the Americans, and are more careful about making it easy to understand. Daedalic Entertainment is German and has made many good games translated into English.

It’s true that Daedalic has used German translators, but that doesn’t make it good practice. Games, books, movies should always be translated by a native speaker of the target language, not the source language. Fluency is essential.

The Cat Lady is in an English that is very easy to understand.

Seconded. 

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I know this is not the advice you were looking for, but I think it would be easier for you to learn English by watching native Hebrew films WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES - I really can’t think of any better and quicker method to learn foreign language. So if you like movies, there you go, and then you’ll be ready to tackle any of the adventure games.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Fien - 10 March 2013 07:14 PM

Games, books, movies should always be translated by a native speaker of the target language, not the source language. Fluency is essential.

I agree. Did anyone play the first version of Drascula (the vampire strikes back)? Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

miv - 10 March 2013 05:18 PM

I see that everybody are very enjoy here, so don’t let me disturb you,  go on.  Content

and thank you all again, I’m happy you want help me.

We’re a pretty fun bunch…
Stick around! Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

tsa - 10 March 2013 05:30 PM

The Carol Reed games have quite simple English in my opinion. I am also not a native speaker but my English is quite good so I may be wrong. On the other hand, if you could follow TLJ these games should be doable for you. There is some reading involved in playing these games but the texts always stay on the screen as long as you want them to and the pronounciation of the people who speak is clear and they use short, easy to understand sentences. They do have a slight Swedish accent though (the games being from there) but nothing to be afraid of. They are subtitled as well, so even if they are hard to follow you can still understand what they are saying.

I second this. Carol Reed definitely.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Carol Reed may have simple English but I find the stories difficult to follow sometimes. Keeping track of who’s who, who’s doing what and why, and what I’m supposed to be doing is hard for me. But I’ve never been good at figuring out murder mysteries and can’t stand those types of books or films (unless it’s Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes). It’s surprising to me that I like the Carol Reed games at all, but I do Smile

Back to the topic - For a game with simple english, I would recommend The Dig - no confusing jokes, a very simple plot, easy to understand. The Runaway games should be easy enough for you and you could also try something like Return to Mysterious Island which doesn’t have a lot of speech or writing. Same goes for Bad Mojo.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top