• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

games in easy english

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

hello.
I am not speak and read English very well. although   I learn I still not very good. I am from Israel and I have already played all the games who have been translated to Hebrew. (only few) so I try games in English.

I noticed that some games in English are more easy for me to understand than others. I played in “the longest journey” and I really enjoy it although there is a lot of Mythology in this game (which is usually in a hard language). I enjoy the humor and the plot. more example for game I understand and like is “monkey island 1”.
but when I played other games, day of the tentacle, SAM and max’ I didn’t understand enough, just the main plot but not most of the jokes and the Dialogues.
I assume that some games written in easy language, or there is some reason why they are easy to understand.
please if you can recommend me some games who answer my problem.
I have already try in israels’ adventure games forums but they couldn’t help me.
(please don’t send me to games without Dialogues like machinarium.)
thanks

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

there are no such Adventures that can go under this Easy English definition ..  but there are some that be can be described like for children.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi miv, my first language is English so it’s very hard to recommend! There are so many nuances & references in humorous games that don’t always translate so well across the english speaking countries! So the first rule is to stay away from games that have humour (to start with!)

If you liked The Longest Journey maybe you would like The Art of Murder, Chronicles of Mystery games. The Black Mirror series? Memento Mori, Alter Ego, Alpha Polaris, Sherlock Holmes…...

Hopefully someone will come along without english as their first language to help a lot more!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 10 March 2013 01:10 PM

Hopefully someone will come along without english as their first language to help a lot more!

Hopefully .. Chrissie ?!
                  Pan

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi Advie, I don’t know why you think that is so funny! You recommended children’s games - as a non 1st language speaking person you could surely stop taking the piss & be more constructive because you just don’t play children’s games (or do you?) so why can’t you be more helpful?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Yeah, Thats the Spirit !!
can i say i love you without that being understood as some sort of mockery! Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I like constructive answers - you are a complete airhead & there you go again ‘me me me’ with no thought or caring to the thread at all - you had nothing to say so why are you here? Sorry miv!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

listen , i can not live without laughing and smiling even if its the end of the world.. so sorry ,i do not really care what you like to hear Chrissie ..

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 10 March 2013 01:52 PM

you had nothing to say so why are you here?

Er… Post count?
Maybe he didn’t help miv, but he sure improved his post count.

On topic: I’m not a native English speaker (like miv) and it’s also hard for me (like it is for you, Chrissie) to recommend someone adventure games with “easy” English. The more stuff you play, watch, read or listen in English, miv, the easier it would be for you to understand the language.
Learning English is a long process so have patience and try playing as much AGs as you can.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zobraks - 10 March 2013 02:45 PM

Er… Post count?

Meh, I still win… Tongue Grin

Learning English is a long process so have patience and try playing as much AGs as you can.

^ This.

But you must know which games have subtitles and which don’t. It will be harder to improve your English without subtitles (so no Space Bar, no King’s Quest 7, no 7th Guest, etc.).

I could recommend Mixed-Up Mother Goose (but that’s a children’s game).
And there’s a bunch of early 90s games that helped me with my English, like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis or the first two Simon the Sorcerer games. But then again, I grew up watching a LOT of movies, so my English was already decent by then because of that…

I can also recommend most Nintendo DS games. They’re close to visual novels, but that means that you have to tap the screen before a line of text disappears. This could give you the time to grab a dictionary if there’s something you don’t understand…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

If you have played all the games that are in Hebrew, perhaps you should choose the ones you liked the most and replay them in their english version.
You will understand far more of the conversations because you remember subconciusly the dialogues from your first playthrough.
This was how i startet to improve my english skills.
And it is a lot of fun, too.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 10 March 2013 03:06 PM

I could recommend Mixed-Up Mother Goose (but that’s a children’s game).

^ This.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Hi miv

English is also not my first language, even though i speak and understand it better than you, so i understand your problem.

Let me first give you some general advice:

Always play games with subtitles, it is much easier to understand when you can both hear and read the words at the same time.

Chose American games over British, Americans tend to use simpler words and are easier to understand, especial in writing.

Avoid funny games, as Chrissie said humor has nuances and puns that can be difficult to understand. But there is also some funny games that are relative easy to understand.

Perhaps try some German games translated into English, people who don’t have English as first language usually use simpler words, just like the Americans, and are more careful about making it easy to understand. Daedalic Entertainment is German and has made many good games translated into English.

There is as far as i know, not any games that are made in outright “easy English”, but the following is games i remember as being fairly easy to understand,

Dreamfall is the most obvious, its made by the same people as The Longest Journey (Norwegian), so if you liked and understood TLJ, you will also like and understand Dreamfall.

The Cat Lady is in an English that is very easy to understand. Though the game itself is more serious than most.

Book of Unwritten Tales & The Critter Chronicles is 2 funny games. (Translated from German).

Cognition and Art of Murder.

I hope some of them is what you are looking for.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

seagul - 10 March 2013 03:13 PM

If you have played all the games that are in Hebrew, perhaps you should choose the ones you liked the most and replay them in their english version.
You will understand far more of the conversations because you remember subconciusly the dialogues from your first playthrough.

This was a very good advice. What a wonderful way to learn English! Smile And I don’t think Advies suggestion about childrens games was that bad either. I sorta enjoyed the Eco Quest games, even though they’re designed for children and therefore are extremely easy, but with the added challenge of a language you’re trying to learn, they could probably be really good games, even for a grownup.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 10 March 2013 04:15 PM
seagul - 10 March 2013 03:13 PM

This was a very good advice. What a wonderful way to learn English! Smile

Well yeah - if you are on a mission to learn English, but if you just want to play some games you can understand…

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Well, if the games were good enough to make a replay something you’d enjoy, why not? Allready having played them in your native tongue would make them a lot easier to understand aswell.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top