• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Cave

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Thanks for your reply Louie Smile I doubt there’s something as fancy as a bluetooth receiver in this old box (by todays standards, it’s nearly antique). I’d probably need to walk all the way to town in the freezing cold and buy stuff to make a controller work on it, so just buying another copy of the game seems the more sensible solution, if I want to play it now, and at the same time not risking dying from frostbite. When I think about it, it’s actually a pretty good deal! Smile If I’m not mistaken, the PSN release was yesterday, or am I wrong?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dag - 23 January 2013 11:04 AM

Bleh.. just purchased the game from Adventure Shop. The button that have previously said “pre-order” now said “download” and since today is it’s release date for PC, I took that as a confirmation that the game actually was avaliable for download. Yet after paying for the game and activating it on steam, thinking that I’m just about to get into the game, I get the message: Coming soon!? Tis an outrage, I tellsya!

I’m sure it’ll show up sometime today, but just as this happened, I remembered (I have a short term memory easily contested by a gold fish) that I had actually previously decided to play it on the PS3, rather than the PC (I very much prefer a gamepad when there’s direct character control, AND I very much dislike steam). I contacted customer support and told them that I regretted the purchase, explained why, and asked for a refund.

I’m also regretting not buying on the PSN (It seems at least I would get to play today today…) but I had an adapter to connect a PS2 controller to the PC and it usually works great.

PSN release was in North America yesterday and Europe today

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Someone want to buy me a copy for the PSN? Tongue <3

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

wilco - 23 January 2013 10:59 AM

Did anyone notice a change in the hour the game unlocks? I thought it was set to unlock at 6pm GMT but now it looks like it added another 12 hours. I was going to play it tonight…

OK.  I’m a little (actually, a lot) annoyed.  I got home from work ready to start enjoying The Cave, and it’s still not released.  When I left for work this morning, Steam said release date of 1/23 (still needlessly a day later than PSN, let us not forget) and now the date on the store page says 1/24.  Sigh.  I’m gonna have to call bullshit on this one.  It’s probably my fault, though.  I may be a black cloud.  I’m usually a wait-6-months-for-the-sale kind of guy, but everytime I get excited and pre-order a game, things seem to go poorly.  End of whining.

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2011-06-02

PM

Double Fine has been apologizing on twitter all day. A few minutes ago they predicted about 2 more hours.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Steam version is up.  Downloading now.  Yay!

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmm… to get now.. or to wait…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

“To get now and still wait” seemed to be the most likely answer. I hope everything is working out now, I’m looking forward to the first reviews… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Interplay - 23 January 2013 06:13 PM

Steam version is up.  Downloading now.  Yay!

Mine gave me an error! now I’m trying to restart steam…

Edit: Finally downloading!

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Is it just me or is the frame rate terrible?

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Well, contrary to several reviews stating otherwise, I’ve laughed out loud several times.

Humour’s kind of dark at times, but it’s right up my alley.

Fun game.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Okay, so I picked the twins, the adventurer and the hillbilly and have just completed a few initial areas. I assume each character will have their own level that ties into their backstory and I think that’s a great idea to avoid the experience feeling like a ‘plotless puzzlefest’ but from what I’ve experienced so far it is pretty plotless and the focus is all on the puzzles… and that’s fine. The puzzles are clever with a very clear Ron Gilbert/Tim Schafer logic and the lack of hand holding is fantastic. Much like Kentucky Route Zero, you have to discover everything on your own from the key areas to the basic controls.

It’s obvious that Ron Gilbert loves Limbo yet the platforming seems like the big weakness in The Cave. There’s no risk of a game over, the levels are not linear but built around backtracking and the animations of climbing up and down ladders and ropes is sluggish - so let me fall from great heights, Ron! My characters usually end up respawning from where I went kersplat anyway.
(Of course there might be a character who is invulnerable to fall damage so in that case disregard my whinge.)

Otherwise, I’m enjoying this. It looks amazing, the humour is strong and I look forward to playing this more during the weekend.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

Interplay - 23 January 2013 09:11 PM

Is it just me or is the frame rate terrible?

check what resolution it’s running in. For some reason on my pc it defaulted to 1920x1080@23hz which meant framerate was limited to 23 fps! It’s silky smooth at 60hz

Have played through a few levels and i do like the atmosphere, the humour and the puzzles, but god damn the backtracking is VERY annoying! Having to seperately control each character and walk them to the same place over and over, i don’t know if i’ll have the patience to play through the game a 2nd time..

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Ok, I rescind my earlier comments about this not being an adventure game. It’s not a pure adventure, but the meat of it is definitely adventure gameplay. With a little bit of Lost Vikings thrown in.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2009-12-24

PM

Not too impressed honestly.

The meat adventure gameplay is okay. good puzzles, but not great. nothing too challenging either Frown,

BUT, the platforming….is just tedious BEYOND belief.

Having to run back and forth over small gaps and easy jumps, over and over, with all three characters to solve a puzzle that you figured out 10 minutes ago is the very definition of bad game design. Thats not how I want to spend my time in an ADVENTURE GAME!

Not impressed, and will be wary of Gilbert’s next game, especially if he honestly believes this is more fun that a point and click game with lots of inventory items. (the two things he thought were tired and old and tried to change with this game.)

So disappointed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top