• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommended TV serials

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sorry, this thread probably overlaps with others but as they didn’t seems to continue - correct me if I’m wrong please - I thought I’d just ask.
A film lasts for 1 -3 hours & a series can transport you for what seems like forever into another world e.g to start with Game of Thrones.
I’ve played so many others like e.g. has anyone played Westworld? - I thought it was brilliant but I struggled with Westworld 2 - ???
Other series that have grabbed my attention have been Fortitude, The Legacy, The Killing (Danish version) & The Bridge (Swedish?)
I’m interested in your thoughts but also in recommendations - English subtitles are essential as it’s not my fault I was never taught any other language at an age it would have made any difference like when I was 5!  Angry

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nice call,

did you watch Mindhunter? it is from David Fincher, of Seven and Fight Club movies, i used to put True Detective S01 on the top of my fav list, but when i have Mindhunter it just toppled the list easily, also S02 too coming very soon, it would be nice to catch up with it .

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The missus and me enjoyed The Bridge (the Danish/Swedish one, so Bron/Broen) very much.

Other (semi-)recent series of note for us were:

- The Haunting of Hill House (excellent moody horror, and fully finished after one season)
- Bloodline (S1 is great, but it goes downhill for S2 and S3, so you may want to skip those)
- Luther (British police procedural with Idris Elba, currently at S5 but with only 20 episodes total)
- Black Mirror (excellent sci-fi, all standalone episodes, the most recent one is a CYOA-style episode, 20 episodes total)
- 13 Reasons Why (great first season, if a little slow, the second season is an unnecessary rehash that we stopped watching after 5 episodes)
- How to Get Away with Murder (decent, but goes a little overboard with the plot twists, and is very sex-centric)
- Broadchurch (solid show with David Tennant, 3 seasons)
- The Missing (good missing persons show, 2 seasons with a different case and different cast per season except for one main character who is brilliantly played by Tchéky Karyo)

Karyo was so awesome in The Missing that his character has now been given a spinoff series “Baptiste” (which is, considering the format of The Missing’s two seasons, really The Missing S3). We’ve still to see that.

These are off the top of my head. If I think of anything else we’ve seen recently and both enjoyed, I’ll list them as well.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

What about Doctor Who?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Grue22 - 28 February 2019 07:34 AM

What about Doctor Who?

Archive panic: there are 851 episodes and a TV-movie. Tongue

Even if she only starts from 2005 that’s still 170 episodes of 45 minutes. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

TimovieMan - 28 February 2019 07:58 AM
Grue22 - 28 February 2019 07:34 AM

What about Doctor Who?

Archive panic: there are 851 episodes and a TV-movie. Tongue

Even if she only starts from 2005 that’s still 170 episodes of 45 minutes. Grin

Grin

Of course, It would be a crime not to start from An Unearthly Child   Cool

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Russian Doll, on Netflix, is like the drama version of Groundhog Day and it’s absolutely brilliant. It’s only 8 half-hour episodes, so it’s not even a big commitment.

Another semi-recent show that I enjoyed is Killing Eve, a story about the weird bond that develops between a quirky, flamboyant female killer-for-hire and the policewoman who’s trying to catch her. It’s often hilarious, sometimes terrifying, and always delightful.

There’s lots of other great shows I love, but those are the most recent.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I second the Killing Eve recommendation, superb story and fantastic acting.

And Haunting of Hill House might be the best horror I’ve ever seen (easily the best horror on TV).

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

My favourite TV shows of all time.

10. Cobra
Anime that is reminiscent of SF movies from the 70s with Jean-Paul Belmondo searching for captain Flints treasure in space with Barbarella hunted by Jaws (from Bond). Was great when I was 6 years old and it still is.

9. Hornblower
Portrays the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. Based on the first novels.

8. Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
The best Lupin III show to date and the first to be directed by a woman, Sayo Yamamoto. The only one where Fujiko is the main character. Features amazing art that looks like a mix between Art Nouveau and Noir.

7. The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones
Does not only teach its audience about history but also conveys profound reflections about the different subjects that are presented.

6. Sherlock
Both the newly written cases and those based on Doyles are great.

5. Archer
Hilarious comedy mostly based on James Bond but is completely littered with all kinds of meta-jokes.

4. Murdoch Mysteries
Detective show where several famous people from history makes “guest appearances”. Does often reference modern things like political values and technical inventions for both serious reflections and to comic effect.

3. Berserk
Horror fantasy that is based around questions regarding human nature. Based on the first arc of the manga and the best anime ever made.

2. Murder Rooms
Based on the life of Arthur Conan Doyle and his teacher which inspired Sherlock Holmes. Great detective mysteries based on both facts and fiction with gorgeous cinematography throughout.

1. Rick and Morty
The characters from Back To The Future goes on adventures taken from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and surpasses both its inspirations.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Henke - 28 February 2019 08:37 PM

5. Archer
Hilarious comedy mostly based on James Bond but is completely littered with all kinds of meta-jokes.

I can vouch for this. Archer IS hilarious.
The missus doesn’t think so, though, so YMMV.

4. Murdoch Mysteries
Detective show where several famous people from history makes “guest appearances”. Does often reference modern things like political values and technical inventions for both serious reflections and to comic effect.

I agree that it’s a solid procedural. A lot of the fun comes from Murdoch using research methods that were ahead of their time for the late 19th-early 20th century setting.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

TimovieMan - 01 March 2019 03:21 AM
Henke - 28 February 2019 08:37 PM

5. Archer

I can vouch for this. Archer IS hilarious.

One of my favourite animated series, highly recommended!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Many thanks all for the responses! I’ve had a look at every suggestion.
Doctor’s orders - I have to rest one of my feet so can’t sit at my desktop playing games!
My local HMV store is about to close down so to support that bricks & mortar store I’ve grabbed some DVDs following your recommendations (& my Googling)

True Detective Seasons 1 & 2 - thanks Advie Thumbs Up
I watched both series - excellent! I think I like the 1st better than the second but both had a wonderful atmosphere & I loved the music in the 2nd series. 

Mindhunter looked interesting but doesn’t seem to be currently available on DVD for the UK (I don’t currently have any subscriptions so am reliant on DVD release.)

@TimovieMan - Bron/The Bridge I absolutely loved & by the end of the 4th series just wanted to adopt Saga. I watched The Tunnel which shamelessly ripped off (or should I say adapted?) some of the story lines &/or details. For sure there were variations but as good as the actress for the French detective was she just wasn’t a patch on the brilliant portrayal of a person with Aspergers/high functioning autism & otherwise came across as far too small & skinny.
The Haunting of Hill House very much interested me (thanks dumbeur also) but it’s just not available on DVD at the mo.

Broadchurch I tried & loved it!

Black Mirror - I remember Tales of the Unexpected so I found it an assortment of bizarre tales focused on the ‘digital’ age & appreciated the cynicism in this modern take. A nice suggestion but they were all just individual tales (albeit very compelling) but I’m more interested in the ‘shaggy dog’ route i.e. a long story/background story spread out through a series

The Missing - I just loved the series & Baptiste premiered on UK TV last week - I didn’t watch because I don’t want to watch a mystery in dribs & drabs i.e. once a week so I’ll wait until I can binge watch! 

@Grue22 & TimovieMan
Dr Who I never really considered as I grew up with him. I’ve by no means seen most of the series’ broadcast throughout the years but did inherit videos of some of the earlier ones including An Unearthly Child (which I’ve never seen) so perhaps time to get my video-player working again.  Apparently there are over 70 episodes of Dr Who that have been lost

@Kurufinewe & dumbeur
Killing Eve I caught the first episode of by chance on TV, missed the following & found it on DVD - Yes! What an excellent serial!

@Henke & Guybrush82 - thank you for the suggestions - I’m still investigating Smile .
Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Breaking Bad is my favorite serial TV show of all time. If you have watched it and want something slightly similar, try Ozark on netflix.
The Sopranos on HBO is an obvious one and it is a classic.
Downton Abbey is another excellent show.

One that really surprised me is Battlestar Galactica. Not the cheesy 1970s one but the newer one. I wasn’t expecting to like it, but it is very good regardless if you are into sci-fi or not.

Edit: And I forgot about Stranger Things on Netflix. It hearkens back to 80’s adventure movies, something like The Goonies. That and Black Mirror are my favorite Netflix-made TV shows.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude - 15 March 2019 02:42 PM

One that really surprised me is Battlestar Galactica. Not the cheesy 1970s one but the newer one. I wasn’t expecting to like it, but it is very good regardless if you are into sci-fi or not.

Seconded. Great series, even if you’re not really into sci-fi. One of the best endings to any series ever, imo.

And while we’re mentioning classics: Six Feet Under remains one of the best series I’ve ever seen. And that final episode has THE. BEST. ENDING. EVER!!! Cool

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

SoccerDude - 15 March 2019 02:42 PM

Breaking Bad is my favorite serial TV show of all time. If you have watched it and want something slightly similar, try Ozark on netflix.
The Sopranos on HBO is an obvious one and it is a classic.
Downton Abbey is another excellent show.

Edit: And I forgot about Stranger Things on Netflix. It hearkens back to 80’s adventure movies, something like The Goonies. That and Black Mirror are my favorite Netflix-made TV shows.

I tried to avoid Breaking Bad but got hooked on Italian Gomorrah - I’m not a great fan of gangster stuff but so far my conclusion is after one series is that if you’d like to holiday in Naples check out the resorts in Afghanistan!

As well as & apart from that SoccerDude thanks for more. I have to confess to loving the cheesy 1970s Battelstar Galactica series because I had a thing for Apollo Heart  Laughing

Thanks TimovieMan - I’ll check out Six Feet Under Thumbs Up

Edit: I forgot to mention that I finally got around to watching the entire series’ of Downton Abbey - I also watched the entire series of Upstairs Downstairs & so which is the best? DA has the advantage of better production. In my O they’re on a par but….
It’s been said that the life of a servant below stairs is romanticised in both of these series?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 15 March 2019 04:20 PM

I have to confess to loving the cheesy 1970s Battelstar Galactica series because I had a thing for Apollo Heart  Laughing

Then you’ll be pleased to hear that his actor Richard Hatch also plays a side character (appearing in 20-something episodes) in the newer series. Wink

That, and the “new” character of Apollo is played by Jamie Bamber, who has a reputation as Mr. Fanservice as well. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top