• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 1664

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I beat Guardians of the Galaxy and it was a fun game, not perfect but fun. I will give it a 7 out of 10

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2022-04-13

PM

I have finished Call of the Sea, a spanish game in 1st person view. It’s not a long game (6 hours). None of the puzzles are difficult but they are nice to solve. The difficulty is fine for most players who are not much into adventure games. Fans of Myst will not be satisfied ahah. What I liked the most was the story. 7/10

Total Posts: 525

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I finished Perfect Tides tonight. What a wonderful game. Heartfelt, poetic, full of nostalgia. It had a cinematic quality to it not often found in games. Thank you to whoever recommended it, this is one I’ll remember for a long time.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2082

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished RAMA which I started playing 3 weeks ago. In fact it was shorter and easier than I expected - and probably Sierra too, because the last part was artificially extended by a lengthy timed sequence. And it wouldn’t be all that bad if the timer functioned properly. Instead it followed it’s own logic, I barely had time to explore and solve everything, even when I knew what to do! I didn’t need a walkthrough, but I had to replay the last couple of levels a number of times, and when I finally got to the last puzzle, the timer told me I had… an hour and a half left to mess with it. What kind of design is that?

But all in all, Rama is a solid adventure, certainly inspired by Myst, but with a better presentation. First of all, the story is told not via countless notes and books, but through conversations, video messages, encounters with alien creatures, and that’s definitely how I prefer it. I had nightmares about those volumes of unreadable texts from Cyan’s games used for storytelling. I enjoyed most of the actors, and the way they were integrated into the gameworld was near-perfect, especially for 1996. They never felt out of the CGI environment and interacted with it like they naturally would.

Secondly, the gameplay is more varied and rich in activities. Areas are smaller than those in Myst/Riven, but they feel a lot less empty. The small avatar we carry in our pocket based on William Shakespeare’s Puck works as a fully functional substitute for a “look” cursor and sometimes gives hints. We will get another Shakespearean tiny character later in the game, also with a unique ability. There’s inventory of the late-Sierra type (takes almost half of the screen while you can rotate each object in a 3D mode) which, as expected, became so huge by the end that finding a necessary crystal in it felt like a challenge itself. But I still prefer this to no-inventory games, it just feels right.

There are also plenty of challenges, from logic to inventory puzzles to pure pixel hunting. A vast majority of puzzles are dedicated to learning alien cultures, alphabets, math systems, customs which is always fun. There are labyrinth-like corridors connecting some of the areas, but they are easy to navigate. The areas themselves - not so much, as with most other frame-by-frame adventures. I constantly felt lost, spinning around and jumping from one corner of the map to another, trying to figure out the right path.

The story felt a bit confusing since I haven’t read Rama books, but there were many clues left to figure it out, and with Arthur Clark constantly giving directions and lecturing on some important topics it was a pleasure to discover. But I have to admit, the world itself (a huge spaceship turned into a sort of planet inhabited by 3 races) doesn’t draw you in as much as Myst or Riven, it just misses something extra that made those games feel like living, breathing universes, even without much interactivity.

I’d have given the game 4.5 stars if not for the last chapter, now it feels like 4 stars to me. Still great for a Myst-inspired game from Sierra, but I enjoyed Shivers 2 better. And now that I mastered “one of the hardest adventure games” and new numeral systems, I probably should finally play and finish Riven which I failed to do 2 times before…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Finished two games that I enjoyed recently.

1. Strange Horticulture.
It was an interesting mix of investigation, puzzle-based and management styles. You run a small plant store with an esoteric flair. There is a whole shebang going on with finding, sorting and selling a bunch of weird plans to even weirder customers - trying to match the plants you have to their cryptic requests is the main puzzle thread in the game and is trickier than it sounds. There’s a murder mystery brewing slowly (botany knowledge is detrimental to solving those, of course), linear but rather engrossing, and all the while you’re decoding strange messages and clues left by the previous owner, trying to find more plants in the surrounding vicinity, working with a map.
There are mostly logic-based puzzles at a solid medium difficulty, lots of epistolary elements, nice visuals and a well-captured somber, eerie mood. Quality slow-paced, atmospheric plant management/puzzle indie.

2.Catie in MeowmeowLand.
A game that shows what would happen if children were on LSD. Puzzle-centric title based on Alice in Wonderland story. Highly interactive world, where everything can be poked and prodded and have different reactions to those pokes, including MC - little Catie. It’s a string of light puzzles that is rooted in whimsical world interactions. Very cool art style, highly surrealistic, full of color and quirkiness. Some cutscenes are just phenomenal. More of a visual, artistic and interactive journey than a serious brain-teaser but no less enjoyable because of that. I can see this game as something that can be played with kids, as they would embrace the outlandishness without questioning what kind of drugs the developers were on and would probably enjoy clicking on everything to see what would happen. Short (about 3 hours) and trippy cool game, recommended for Amanita fans (especially titles like Chuchel or Botanicula).

Demos are available for both on Steam, so you can “try before you buy”.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s probably obvious from my post on the eponymous thread, but I just finished Syberia: The World Before.

I thought it was a great game. Although, by giving it 4 out of 5 stars, I didn’t think is was as great as the AG reviewer thought. One puzzle in particular kept it from being 4.5 stars. The mechanics take some getting used to. But they very shortly become second nature.

It’s a game that is definitely worth replaying. Although I will wait for a hoped-for CPT.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 850

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Just finished Whispers of a Machine.

Got the following ending: Shot Stina. Destroyed the program. Kept the baby. Ended up in a cemetery talking to dead-forever-Evan.

I have mixed feelings about this game.

What I liked:

- The puzzles were very well done, particularly the integration of your special powers with other elements. I thought that the powers felt like part of my character, not just more inventory items, and they really made my character seem powerful.

- Logic puzzles were smart enough to stump me for a little while, but not smart enough to make me feel dumb.

- The choices seemed meaningful, especially toward the end.

- The art and atmosphere were splendid.

- The voice acting was good.

What I didn’t like:

- Auto-save-only feature makes it unlikely that I’ll replay the game to see alternate endings.

- The voice acting is good, but the script needed some refining. Too often characters say things like ‘I will’ or ‘I am’ or ‘She would’, when any normal person would use a contraction such as ‘I’ll’ or ‘I’m’. This lead to several stilted moments that were drained of some resonance due to robotic line delivery.

- I roll my eyes when most games try to make obvious religious allegories of their stories. ‘Ohhhh, this robot-human hybrid is going to be just like a modern Jesus!’ That story has been told once, and that’s enough.

- Considering the scope of the story, the game is too short. It’s pretty cool that the whole mystery is kept to a local level—a down-home murder story with possible global implications—but I think it would have been more meaningful if it had been fleshed out a little more.

- The special powers were well integrated into the gameplay, but I think they could have been used even more and even better had the game been longer.

- The game wants you to believe that your character is both hardboiled and sensitive. The dichotomy between the hardboiled side and the sensitive side, as well as the rough appearance of the character, were too great. There was a cognitive dissonance between the hard-ass and the soft-ass that I just couldn’t believe in. It did improve toward the end of the game, but in general it was a big pill to swallow.

And that’s about it. Overall, I really enjoyed it. A solid 7+ out of 10.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Tandis

Good idea, interesting but it lacks in execution, better content and balancing. Overall it was a nice experience.

The Witness

I played through it for the second time since its release. Still fascinating. A gem. Although it’s not perfect one of the best games ever made.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Charophycean - 17 April 2022 08:10 AM

I finished Perfect Tides tonight. What a wonderful game. Heartfelt, poetic, full of nostalgia. It had a cinematic quality to it not often found in games. Thank you to whoever recommended it, this is one I’ll remember for a long time.

My favorite this year so far.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I have finished all games from Cloak & Dagger, a developer I strongly recommend as one of the best nowadays in my humble opinion. Their games are always well written with logical and fair puzzles. The list of games is:

-The Terrible Old Man: very short adaptation of a short story by H.P. Lovecraft. It really captures Lovecraft’s spirit from the original story.

-A Date in the Park: another very short game, half an hour or so, set in a portuguese park with an ending you will never forget…

-Mudlarks: their first long game, set in London using real pictures as background. A powerful story I couldn’t stop playing. If you forgive the awkward movement of the characters, you will enjoy a very good adventure game.

-Football Game: short game (an hour or so), yet very enjoyable. It seems an simple story of a young football player, but owls are not what they seem…

-Legend of Hand: some kind of RPG-combat-adventure game which I didn’t think I would like at first, but I was very wrong. One of the best games I have played lately, with good sense of humour and very different from what we are used to. A quite long game.

-Sumatra: Fate of Yandi. With a touching and enviromental story, another must-play.

And now I am just waiting for their next game, Incantamentum, a mystery adventure game inspired by folk horror and English folklore. Coming soon!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5840

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played all of those games except for Legend of Hand which is still sitting in my Steam library waiting to be played.

I was very impressed with Mudlarks (a free game as quite a few of their games are) which led me on to playing more from these developers so I completely concur with your appraisal walas     Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Book of Demons

I finished it (from the archive) on my first run with normal to bigger dungeons. I enjoyed it, for what it is. The game is polished, has a nice atmosphere and a good length. I’m not a big fan of those card games, so, I only used a fraction of the magic options, mainly the passive ones. I disagree with the dev’s political opinion and action. You need to separate the art from the artist.

Welcome to Elk

I was interested in the ‘adventure’ (also from the archive) due to its clean look and nice music but there was no game, I could enjoy. Just running around and clicking through boring texts without any adventure, exploration or challenge made me quit the game. Finished.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished Voodoo Detective so don’t read any further if you’re still playing or even better, I’ll just post impressions in my next post! So DON’T READ if you’re still playing.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

For me the game Voodoo Detective presents as the perfect game but is actually like buying a very cheap gift & packaging it up in wonderful wrapping to present it to look much better & so the wonderful artwork, excellent voice-acting, lovely music + easy mechanics worked perfectly for me…….to start with…. & I went on to enjoy it all of the way through regardless…..so it was worth buying!

Unfortunately, what the wonderful wrapping couldn’t hide, which didn’t work for me in the end, was the shallow stereo-typical characters, the lack-lustre story with no depth & predictable hold-your-hand puzzles despite some of the interesting Voodoo ‘recipes’. Yes, there was occasionally a puzzle that stumped but not enough to enamour me to the ‘puzzling prowess’ of the game.

Overall, the game may appeal to new recruits to the genre which I hope it does (as it is a nice game) although I couldn’t help thinking that that as I found the game just a tad step up from the casual game market it will.
Smile

EDIT: For me what would have helped is either an excellent story or some dastardly puzzles - it didn’t need to be both but it was an enjoyable game to play anyway!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2022-04-13

PM

Recently I’ve finally finished Boinihi: The K’i Codex, started several weeks ago. I stayed stuck quite a long time on the alchemy puzzle near the end -because of me and my way to think. But I loved the whole game Heart . Gameplay is a bit clumsy sometimes but it really deserves the 4/5 review posted on AG. It has a very different feeling than the previous Black Cube chapters: more mystical, 3rd person view, asian styled world, very colorful, almost like hand-painted 3d. Hard to describe.
The visuals and engine look a bit old (I know it’s not an old game) but globally it’s charming and well done.
Finding out how to translate the codex brings quite a poetic touch, it’s the core of the game and is not so hard (the book is automatically translated when you have found enough clues). And for the first time in the Black Cube series we can talk directly to a few NPC characters, actually 2 of them, in different places. I read comments where some people criticized the fact that the AI is a female character, it’s too cliché, but I actually find it just logical with the fact that ASA had a female voice for MAID and that the AI in Boinihi is just an evolution of it.
It seemed to me like Boinihi wasn’t really a Myst-like game, at least not like the other BC chapters before, and it was quite a great discovery. To me defintely something “new”, in the meaning of different. Anyone else played it? Should I add that you don’t need to know the previous chapters? But it’s a great idea to play them too to complete the whole story!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top