• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Baron Blubba’s Crossword Quiz *Now Playing: Character Couplet Quest!* This will consume your weekend.

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 June 2021 11:42 PM

You need an adjective for that one, St_Eddie.

Oh!  It’s only just hit me.  How obvious! Surprised it took me this long to figure it out. Ta

Total Posts: 845

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m 20 questions into the next puzzle (aiming for at least 50)...and you are all in for a treat.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

I think I’m going to admit defeat on the first (LucasArts) crossword.  I have two remaining unanswered clues, but I just cannot work them out for the life of me, even with the additional hints.

The ones I couldn’t get were…

44 Across (Relatively good room for a corpse)
39 Down (This tool always gets lost… in translation)

I’d be grateful if someone could tell me what the answers were, just to put my mind at rest.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

St_Eddie - 22 June 2021 03:53 PM

I think I’m going to admit defeat on the first (LucasArts) crossword.  I have two remaining unanswered clues, but I just cannot work them out for the life of me, even with the additional hints.

The ones I couldn’t get were…

44 Across (Relatively good room for a corpse)
39 Down (This tool always gets lost… in translation)

I’d be grateful if someone could tell me what the answers were, just to put my mind at rest.

Yeah, me too, I think I won’t figure out 9, 30 and 48 even if my life depends on it. Let’s share answers if you don’t mind. 44 Across is also a room where corpses are made according to Alfred Hitchcock and 39 Down is THAT one puzzle from Monkey Island 2 which is critised the most and which makes sense only in American English since it’s just another name for a spanner.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Doom - 22 June 2021 07:01 PM

Yeah, me too, I think I won’t figure out 9, 30 and 48 even if my life depends on it. Let’s share answers if you don’t mind. 44 Across is also a room where corpses are made according to Alfred Hitchcock and 39 Down is THAT one puzzle from Monkey Island 2 which is critised the most and which makes sense only in American English since it’s just another name for a spanner.

Thanks!  I’ve now solved both and can move onto the Sierra crossword.

As for the ones you’re still stuck on…

————————————————

9 Across - Do you remember the game WipeOut for the original Playstation?  Well, there was a sequel and in Europe that sequel was titled WipeOut 2097, but in North America and Japan, it was titled something else.  Just saying…

————————————————

30 (Down, I presume? You didn’t specify) - This man was the “Daddy” of the National “Picnic Areas”, so to speak (think synonyms).

2nd Hint - Sam & Max had a vegetable made in the shape of this man’s head.

————————————————

48 Across - Two’s company, but three’s a crowd.  Just ask the Giant Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, if you can get him to stop bickering amongst himself first.

————————————————

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Love that Wipeout clue! What a niche reference, interesting the places our minds go.

Also, the final iteration of the 3DS?

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Nice clues indeed, St_Eddie, thanks)) Would’ve never guessed that word in relation to Madame Xima though, I never even thought of her like that. 48, on the other hand, was so obvious, why didn’t I even think of it? And regarding 30 - I was actually stuck on 30 across (knew 30 down as soon as I read the word “vegetables”), but I found the word eventually Smile In fact it wasn’t in my vocabulary, I was just trying to come up with a word for Otis and the rest and picked it up from some fan site while reading a description of him.

Now I’m finished and ready for the Sierra quiz, woohoo.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

thirty-three answers for now.

As I type, thirty-four. The previous quiz was more a trivia challenge for me, this one goes for the nostalgia.

Can’t figure out 78. Nothing that will fit, or match up with the letter from 48 down. Steadily having moments of clarity and fond remembrance, though!

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 24 June 2021 11:24 AM

thirty-three answers for now.

As I type, thirty-four. The previous quiz was more a trivia challenge for me, this one goes for the nostalgia.

Can’t figure out 78. Nothing that will fit, or match up with the letter from 48 down. Steadily having moments of clarity and fond remembrance, though!

Did you get 78 yet? If not, reread the emails I sent you today.
This is one of the hardest clues in the puzzle. I like it, but it’s hard…and there are really three correct answers, since the responsible party changed their name twice, for a total of three names since their inception.

The only clue I’m really not happy with in this puzzle is the Henry VIII one, because the character in the solution is not such a well known one (not exactly obscure, but not well known like most of the others) and his name is waaaaaaay too long and difficult to spell.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Spent the past several days solving Sierra and I think I did pretty good: once again I’m left with 6 unaswered questions. Only there were twice as many of them, and they were harder I think. But I really enjoyed the challenge and the fact that there were more games to choose from and even some non-gaming facts. 94 in paricular was very satisfying to deduce.

My favourite line of questions involve Gabriel Knight, pretty much all of them had good logic behind, just like the puzzles in those games. Had a laugh at the “x thinks he is a sexy beast” pair of questions. Quest for Glory and Space Quest questions were also fun, and so were references to Christy Marx.

The majority of questions though are King’s Quest-based, and to my surprise they were the toughest to solve, with the most obscure names and cryptic clues. Turns out I’m not so good at that series, even solved a couple by chance (those throwing associations).  VERY cruel of you to include that one infamous “puzzle solution” in its original uncut edition Naughty

I still have no idea what 23, 58 or 93 mean, while 32 could mean SO many things that I still have no idea. The other two that confuse me are 72 (shower song? there was hardly any music in those games!) and 60 - I’m not sure whether lay lowe is a misspelling or a clue, probably the latter, but I still can’t come up with a proper name (obviously not Patti). Help!

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Glad you enjoyed it, Doom. Coming to your rescue here with some more clues:

-  23 is a King’s Quest VI clue. I thought this one might have some people tearing up the puzzle.
- 58 I didn’t think anyone would be in danger of not solving. It’s a KQ IV clue.
- 93 is a bit unfair in a Saturday/Sunday NY Times sort of way. The ‘?’ denote that there’s some wordplay at play. Think of Cassima’s homeland name. Then think of a numbered feature of supermarkets.
- 72 is sung in the shower by a nameless officer in the beginning of PQ 1. Maybe it stuck out to me more than it did to others, since it’s one of my favorites and my mom used to sing it to me in the tub when I was a little munchkin. Yeah, it’s an obscure one unless you are quite familiar with the game (I’m not) or it had a reason to stick out in your mind (which it does to me). Apologies for that one!
- 60 It’s a clue. Al Lowe made more games than LSL, and at least one of them involved the type of woman who would encourage your hero to ‘lay’ if you know what I mean.
- 32 is very hard, but the answer is sort of in the question. It relies on what I think is a cross-cultural idiom. I guess you could say that finding the answer to this one might be just like what the idiom is describing itself. If you can’t figure this out right away, sleep on it. Gosh, in hindsight I feel like a prick for making this clue.

I think you did quite well if you managed to solve everything but that small handful. I’m glad you enjoyed 94—I think that’s one of the hardest, but also a clever one (if I may say so). Was worried it might be unsolvable.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thanks for the hints, Blubba, I finally solved the quiz! I admit 32 was really tricky, I had to jump from one conclusion to another even with the new hints. I’m not even sure I could recall that many (the things in question) in King’s Quest games, in fact just an obvious one Confused Also had vague memories of that game at number 60 (not to mention minor characters from it) and had to download and replay PQ to find the answer to 72, nice trivia Grin And with 93 it was another cultural barrier - I didn’t know the word, but I bet those who do should have no problem with it. 23 and 58 were both nice hints from the start and just required more out-of-the-box thinking from me.

All in all, I had a great time solving both quizes. In fact I enjoyed them more than picture quizes usually - unlike those, I was familiar with maybe 90% of games and facts, but still had to use my brains to desipher clues, remember or research things. Looking forward to any future quiz from you!

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Doom - 27 June 2021 01:02 PM

(...)and had to download and replay PQ to find the answer to 72, nice trivia Grin

Now that’s dedication to crossword puzzle solving. Good job finding all the answers!

I have.. 26 answers left to find.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - 27 June 2021 01:02 PM

Thanks for the hints, Blubba, I finally solved the quiz! I admit 32 was really tricky, I had to jump from one conclusion to another even with the new hints. I’m not even sure I could recall that many (the things in question) in King’s Quest games, in fact just an obvious one Confused Also had vague memories of that game at number 60 (not to mention minor characters from it) and had to download and replay PQ to find the answer to 72, nice trivia Grin And with 93 it was another cultural barrier - I didn’t know the word, but I bet those who do should have no problem with it. 23 and 58 were both nice hints from the start and just required more out-of-the-box thinking from me.

All in all, I had a great time solving both quizes. In fact I enjoyed them more than picture quizes usually - unlike those, I was familiar with maybe 90% of games and facts, but still had to use my brains to desipher clues, remember or research things. Looking forward to any future quiz from you!

Wow, hey, thank you very much for saying all that, Doom, and thank you very much for making such an effort to solve these. The next one is 75% complete as far as clues go, so it will probably be posted sometime this week. It is *significantly* easier than either of the first two puzzles, but it’s also going to be just as significantly more fun. I’ve been enjoying the creation of this one so much that I’ve actually been doing that instead of playing games during some of my usual gaming time.

In hindsight, Hint 32 was really lousy, but congratulations for solving it—it is indeed something to sneeze at!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh, another quiz, awesome! I will try not to miss it, and I like your hints, even the toughest questions could be cracked with some effort.

Vegetable Party - 27 June 2021 01:36 PM

Now that’s dedication to crossword puzzle solving. Good job finding all the answers!

I have.. 26 answers left to find.

Ha, thanks Smile Also wish you luck. That moment from PQ is just at the beginning of the game, and I have the series in my GOG library, so it wasn’t that hard to figure. Unlike playing through the second game - still can’t bring myself to it, the game didn’t age well…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top