• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

HandsFree - 30 August 2012 10:49 AM
Olga - 30 August 2012 09:32 AM

* We are using Internet activation for copy protection. You will be able to use the same key up to 3 times. If you need more, email support (at) frogwares.com

@#^&*!! I love the SH games but this is yet another game I won’t buy. Cry

For me this is also a deal breaker. I bought the game so I should be able to play it as often and on any machine I like. And what if I want to replay it years from now and Frogwares doesn’t exist anymore?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

tsa - 31 August 2012 05:30 AM

For me this is also a deal breaker. I bought the game so I should be able to play it as often and on any machine I like. And what if I want to replay it years from now and Frogwares doesn’t exist anymore?

Then you’ll download a crack and play your game. Just like if you want to replay an old game that you had on floppies nowadays you download it from an abandonware site because you don’t have a floppy drive anymore. I really don’t get the paranoia around online activation.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Good point. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m quite interested in this game so I will look up the specs of my iMac now to see if it can take it.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Of course there are illegal ways to bypass the problem. But I won’t give any money to developers/publishers that still insist on using this non-sensical drm where people who pay have to deal with the problems while people who download a crack (or even a complete pirated game) are off the hook.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

You can do both: pay for the game and then get a version that works from the Internet. Here in the Netherlands downloading for your own use is legal so I’m off the hook. Don’t worry though, I pay for my games because I want the developers to be able to make more games.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Can’t wait for this. The Sherlock Holmes games have all been amongst, if not THE best games I’ve ever played. I love period set games such as SH in Victorian London. Only 2 and a half weeks away now, 20th September.  Laughing

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Pre-orders are now up at Amazon £19.99 and Steam £24.99.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Testament-Sherlock-Holmes-PC-DVD/dp/B00524V36O/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1347480590&sr=1-1

But shopto.net is probably the best place. I’ve bought a hard copy game from them before on preorder and received very efficient service.

http://www.shopto.net/product/search?search=The+Testament+of+Sherlock+Holmes

Image Attachments

Steam_preorder.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

New trailer is up

It’s not bad, but either I’m being too paranoid or there’s some Guy Ritchie vibe there.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-08-30

PM

Hello AdventureGamers,

The game goes live today in Europe which is a huge event for us.

I know many of you have already pre-ordered the game through your favorite portals and looking forward to have your hands on it :-) So here is a sneak-peak for you, the video walkthrough by Aram from Atlus, our US publisher, who gives an inside look to the game with his commentaries: 

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/14/the-testament-of-sherlock-holmes-developer-walkthrough

I hope you enjoy it!

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I wish I could play it. I love Sherlock Holmes. Sadly I can’t afford it right now.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Lupin The Third - 31 August 2012 03:22 AM
123pazu - 30 August 2012 07:10 PM
GreyFuss - 30 August 2012 07:06 PM

Actually I am not so sure the PC gamers are any longer the target audience when you read this from the developer…

This year, Sherlock Holmes makes a triumphant return in his very first adventure specially designed for the PlayStation® 3 and Xbox 360® game consoles! All the mystery and intrigue will also be available on PC.

Oops, somehow missed it.  And I’m a little worried now about the game quality (gameplay-wise)...  Sick

Why? It’s not like these games have previously been really built around gameplay, they are built around setting and story. It’s not like the last one had some incredible, genre redefining mechanics…what it did have was a well told story and it handled the Jack the Ripper subject matter maturely and in a non offensive manner.

The inclusion of console versions actually has me hopeful that these type of games could evolve in a manner that would allow for more than walk from point “A” to point “B”, talk to character, return to point “A” with new item….by including consoles from the start it’s more likely that the devs will think outside the traditional adventure game bag of tricks and consider new levels of interaction.

Even if they don’t in this case I see no reason to pull the “oh NoeZ! The COnSolEZ are KilliNG My GaMEZ!” nonsense that is so absurdly prevalent on this forum. The trailers look excellent, it’s the same voice actors, and Frogwares has done a solid job with the franchise so there’s no reason to expect anything but an excellent adventure. For the record I’m buying the 360 version.

If that was true, the game wouldn’t be at all difficult. Its built around Story, Setting & Gameplay, not some separate idea of gameplay.

diego - 19 September 2012 06:01 PM

New trailer is up

It’s not bad, but either I’m being too paranoid or there’s some Guy Ritchie vibe there.

Nah, Frogwares decided to make the game less robotic and more natural.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

Shame this isn’t getting a physical release in America on PC. Meh I guess I will settle for the PS3 version then…

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Olga - 20 September 2012 05:07 AM

Hello AdventureGamers,

The game goes live today in Europe which is a huge event for us.

I know many of you have already pre-ordered the game through your favorite portals and looking forward to have your hands on it :-) So here is a sneak-peak for you, the video walkthrough by Aram from Atlus, our US publisher, who gives an inside look to the game with his commentaries: 

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/14/the-testament-of-sherlock-holmes-developer-walkthrough

I hope you enjoy it!

No spoilers in that movie?

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

This would be a great release for GOG.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve played about two hours of this and so far I’m really, really impressed with the huge step forward Frogwares has taken with the series. The new behind-the-shoulder 3rd person camera is fantastic, it makes the game feel modern, accessible and similar to something like L.A. Noire, and it looks pretty great*. Even the puzzles I’ve done so far have been a huge improvement over the past Holmes games with the deduction board no longer a frustrating hassle and the more conventional stuff like having to pick a lock and crack a safe being surprisingly fun and satisfying to solve. This is also the first time a Frogwares game has genuinely made me feel like being Sherlock Holmes: there’s a section where I seamlessly pieced together all of the evidence from a murder scene to pinpoint the location of the hospital where the scalpel used in the killing was stolen from and the game truly made me feel like I was the one figuring it out, with none of the trial and error deduction which you had to rely on in all of the previous games in the series. I hope this nets Frogwares the larger audience it deserves to, they’ve truly made a game that can rise above the niche adventure game label and appeal to a much broader crowd.

* the one exception to it looking great being the truly atrocious ctuscene which opens the game, an ugly and dated mess where a bunch of freaky looking kids find Watson’s journal and start reading through it. I have no idea why it looks so much worse than the rest of the game, maybe it was made earlier on and they never got a chance to fix it up, but the game gets off on such a bad foot because this opening movie looks like it was made in 1996 for the Nintendo 64.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top