• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooneyseagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Calling all game developers

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Thanks Timovieman! I’ve got the document and will have a browse of a few more.

Ascovel, right now, it seems, I am the project leader. I’m not too lax when it comes to being in a team, but I’m not too strict. The idea is to try and get a project started. Maybe a few people will drop out the project, I’m unsure. But right now we’re all excited about it. Maybe it’ll work!

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

Ascovel,don’t you think it’s high time we show this poor fella the good whip store?he’s gonna need it it seems Tongue

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I think the smartest thing to do is find a dedicated team that share a vision, which is easier said than done (but you seem to have it covered). I’ve been working on an adventure game on my own, in my spare time for almost a year now and the going is extremely slow. It doesn’t help that I’m doing relatively detailed pixel art backgrounds which take me about 8-10 hours per scene. Then there’s animation, game logic, music etc. Doing it all by yourself is borderline ridiculous. The only real upside is that there’s no one to meddle with my vision for the game.

I completely agree with Pyke’s blog—planning is everything. I wasted hours making a scene I’m never going to use. This one. So now I plan :-P

The way I’m making my game—and I’m not saying this is the best way to do things—is I have a concept for a time and a place, and I know how it’s going to begin, but I’m not locking anything else in until I have a 15-20 minute prototype with music, animation, the whole lot. That way the “feel” of the game can inform my decisions, so everything I’m designing stays true to the atmosphere and vibe of the game.

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

orient - 13 November 2012 03:26 AM

I think the smartest thing to do is find a dedicated team that share a vision, which is easier said than done (but you seem to have it covered). I’ve been working on an adventure game on my own, in my spare time for almost a year now and the going is extremely slow. It doesn’t help that I’m doing relatively detailed pixel art backgrounds which take me about 8-10 hours per scene. Then there’s animation, game logic, music etc. Doing it all by yourself is borderline ridiculous. The only real upside is that there’s no one to meddle with my vision for the game.

I completely agree with Pyke’s blog—planning is everything. I wasted hours making a scene I’m never going to use. This one. So now I plan :-P

The way I’m making my game—and I’m not saying this is the best way to do things—is I have a concept for a time and a place, and I know how it’s going to begin, but I’m not locking anything else in until I have a 15-20 minute prototype with music, animation, the whole lot. That way the “feel” of the game can inform my decisions, so everything I’m designing stays true to the atmosphere and vibe of the game.

Thanks Dunning! Hotel Dusk is probably THE best DS game I’ve ever played. Love it, just a shame Cing went…

It must be hard working alone but I think it’ll pay off in the end. What is the reason of you working on your own anyway?

I like the style of your scene =] We’ve been planning it so far, but we need to get a story idea out first.

That’s a great way of doing it, but I guess it can be very time consuming. For conceptual designs I think we’re going to draw it up. Block the level out too and see how it all feels.

I hope your games works out! It looks great from what I’ve seen.

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Zer0 - 13 November 2012 05:14 AM

Thanks Dunning! Hotel Dusk is probably THE best DS game I’ve ever played. Love it, just a shame Cing went…

Yup, such a shame. I loved every single one of their games.

It must be hard working alone but I think it’ll pay off in the end. What is the reason of you working on your own anyway?

I haven’t really approached anyone for help apart from a programmer friend. He’s going to help out on the more complex puzzles—basically the stuff that I’d consider to be “real programming”, and not just scripting.

As a test to see how quickly my friend could wrap his head around AGS, we decided to create a simple “pull the four levers in the correct order” type puzzle. What took him two hours would’ve taken me five times that, and I would’ve done an extremely sloppy job, too. So I’m not doing it 100% by myself. There will be at least two people’s names in the credits Tongue

I want to do the graphics myself because I have a very specific idea of how the game should look; the same goes for the writing. My brother will help with the music—he plays guitar and I play bass.

I hope your games works out! It looks great from what I’ve seen.

Thanks a lot! One of the main problems with that scene I linked to was the perspective, or lack thereof, but hey, you learn as you go. Here’s a more recent scene that will most definitely be in the game:

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Cing really did have a fantastic list of games. Makes me sad thinking about it!

So far you seem to know what you’re doing. Yes it may take time, but is time really an issue if everything is getting done? I guess it can de-motivate you at times, but at least you have something to show.

Coding is what put me off making a game, as I don’t know much and it’s bloody hard to do. I know what you mean about ‘vision’ too. I fear that my project will lose it’s vision if other people model the scenery too, in case the style changes. But I guess that’s where I come in with my whip! All within reason of course.

I was going to mention perspective, before I read what you’d typed. I was going to say how great it is! You seem to have nailed the one point perspective for that image, keep up the good work. Is it all done in Paint?

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I really liked Another Code: R for Wii, and I still have The Last Window to play.

Ultimately I don’t care how long it takes, as long as it’s good. I use the Pencil tool in Photoshop. The one-point perspective is good for emphasising the size of a space so I use it quite a lot seems as though my game is 2D first-person. Glad you think it looks cool :-)

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

orient - 13 November 2012 08:13 AM

I really liked Another Code: R for Wii, and I still have The Last Window to play.

Ultimately I don’t care how long it takes, as long as it’s good. I use the Pencil tool in Photoshop. The one-point perspective is good for emphasising the size of a space so I use it quite a lot seems as though my game is 2D first-person. Glad you think it looks cool :-)

I’ve only played Another Code on the DS. The Last Window is a great game, a lot of references to Hotel Dusk too. I think it’s a great successor.

That’s a good way to look at it, plus you can’t displease anyone as nobody is waiting on you.

So kind of like a 16bit Myst? How big are your images (resolution)?

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

you know,the programmer part you can leave to your experienced programmer….what you can do is not think about the programming and just design the game.make the story,the characters,the puzzles,the dialogue,the twists,the locations,the style,all those things that do not require programming knowledge..or at least no software design.The software design you can leave to someone experienced in the field.there are some well known game designers who do not code.some may not even know coding.of course you should know some stuff,it helps in noticing possible problems with decisions you make but you can’t do everything in your first try.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi, I think it’s quite hard to help without knowing exactly what kind of project you want to do. I’m sorry but I don’t know Scratches Naughty Is it a third person or first person game, first ? It will change a lot of things in the way you will build the game. Also, do you have characters in your game ? You speak of a 3D game : you must be aware that having characters is the most difficult thing to do in the game. Environments shouldn’t be a big problem. Of course, all this depends on the graphics you want to do : realistic, cartoonish, etc.. ? I know it’s hard to find where to start, but you need a global idea first. If Scratches is your big reference, then you probably know where you’re going and that’s the most important. If not, you must get this global idea, and you must be sure of you, because once the production begins, you can’t go back !

Then, I don’t know how skilled you are. I would recommand that you make something very simple. I know that most people have great ideas and want to add tons of great stuff in their games, but unless you are a studio it will be difficult, and maybe discouraging. The most important is probably : “do not overestimate the team, or you will give up before the end !”
You say you’re 6 people : sounds like a good team, so that’s a good point. Do you have each one a speciality ? A scenarist, 2 or 3 graphists, a programmer, a musician… ? I would recommand you separate the tasks and assign them to each person. Maybe everyone wants to do a bit of everything everytime in the game (model a character, then an object for a decor, then make some music, and come back to 3D). I’d say it’s a bad idea. Chose a character designer/modeler, a programmer, etc… and be sure that everyone works on his task at the good moment.

Here’s my experience on my game ASA, but it’s still in development and I’m not sure of what people will think of it. And I’m a single developer, so that’s hard to compare with your team.

First thing I made was a short film, which received good criticism, and it encouraged me to make the game a few months later. Having this film was a very big help because :
- I knew what people liked/disliked
- I can use it as an opening movie for the game
- It gives me a strong background and a beginning for a scenario.
Speaking of scenario, this short film was based on a small book I had written in self-publishing. I don’t say it was qualitative, but I had a strong idea.

Then I developped the game scenario from this, and didn’t start the 3D production before I had finished this ! I know it’s hard to resist to the temptation of going into 3D modeling now Smile That’s even harder if the other guys of your team are waiting for the scenarist to have finished his job ! But this scenarist is very important. The others can think to many other things while he refines his text.

When my scenario was complete, before starting the prod, I thought for a long time of the best software for programming. I have to be honnest, I’m not good in programming, that’s why I chose to make a slideshow game and that’s why I chose adventure maker. That’s probably not the soft everyone would choose, you know ! From what I read, you have someone quite good in programming in your team ? Another good point. Looks like you’re quite ready to make your game, and I’m starting to wonder if you need to read my experience lol

I don’t care, I’ll finish this block of text !  Wink
Be aware too that you need to buy your soft if you plan on making a commercial use of your game. I don’t say that to annoy you, but I went myself in the trap : I worked with my beloved softwares, and finally realized that it would cost me a lot in license fees !

From this point I just made some rough sketches of the world of ASA (the main ship, the planet). And when I say rough, I mean rough ! Don’t go draw some great artworks : just make plans in top view, and start placing your main puzzles. The aim is to precise your main idea, and start knowing where the puzzles/enigmas will bring the player when he solves them. That’s how I built ASA. I have drawn it into sketches, from the starting point to the end (or almost… ). Easy when you have your scenario ! Of course, it is not precise, and the final game changed a lot compared to my sketches, but I don’t imagine how you can create an adventure game without this step.

Now you have finished the most important and you can conclude your pre-production process by designing your characters and environments once and for all. Personally I started the real 3D process/programming at this point, and I met no real problem then. I imagined the puzzles gradually, depending on what I made in the environments, in order to integrate them well. The biggest thing was to stay motivated until the end !!!

To sumarize my own experience, chronologically :
- main ideas, searching for references
- scenario
- sketches of your world (top view map) including the place of the main puzzles/steps
- choice of softwares/tools
- pre-production 1 (drawings : characters/environments)
- pre-production 2 (3D : chara modeling, setup, etc…)
- production, including puzzles, 3D and programming
- finalisation (sound, music, videos…)
- beta-testing

I hope it helps and that it’s understandable, because writing such a text in english was quite perillous for me Cool

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

Simon,Scratches is a slideshow first person game much like yours,only difference is it doesn’t have much animation in it…probably none.the only animations are in videos if i remember correctly but even if there are they are too few,a point that even Agustin has admitted to and was one of the driving forces behind Asylum and Dagon.

you should definitely give it a go.very good game.

also simon….they have chosen Senscape’s Dagon for the engine.they also have two programmers so it should be a good combination.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

OK,thanks Wink I should have taken the time to get more info on Scratches before posting lol
You’re right, ASA is exaclty that kind of game.
Well, if they’re a team of 6, and want to make that kind of game, all I can say is “DO IT” Smile

I had never heard of Dagon before… Seems very interesting. Is there a forum about this somewhere, even if not on AG.com ?

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

Simon, Dagon is the engine behind Agustin’s new project, Asylum. There is a forum here
http://www.senscape.net/forum/index.php - feel free to also download the ‘teaser’ of Asylum as it comes fully commented and you can experiment Wink

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Muchas gracias el Pollo Diablo! ^^

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Just wanted to add…

I’ve been working on my own game, Roger Foodbelly, for years. And it still haven’t hit pre-production? Why?

Well, I’ll tell you why.

Finding people that are able to stick with it, in the long run.
Money is a key factor, if not money, then make them this as much as your baby, theirs.
Set realistic goals. People will lose motivation if the story changes in a short amount of time (ours did when we found a new person to work with that didn’t like the story we had.) and that’s about when we lost about half of the staff.

Right now, I’m still having difficult to find the right people.
It’s a fantastic story, great dialogue and all. Even Bill Tiller told me this was epic. Still, it’s hard getting from start to end, and very few projects are able to make it.

So that’s the advice I want to give you.

If money will be a problem, I recommend to seek funding (kickstarter?)
We’re going there too, eventually.

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles